Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving do's....

leaving do's....

Old Mar 30th 2004, 9:19 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default leaving do's....

Those of you who've made the leap, what did you do for leaving do's in the UK?

My mates and family are all getting a bit crazy about sorting leaving do's. A lot of my mates are married, and seem to be using my leaving as an excuse to plan weekends away left right and centre. Their wives (most of whom are good friends too) have got it on for me now - I reckon they'll be glad to see the back of me.

What did you guys get up to? And do you enjoy them, or does it just bring home to you how much you'll miss everyone?

Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:02 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving do's....

Not that we are at that stage yet, but we're planning a thumping great p**s up when we leave. That deals with the friends....We're also vaguely planning a rather more sophisticated do for family members. Mr Bundy works at one of the Cambridge colleges, so we're thinking along the lines of a sort of garden party. There's also rumour of a week in a cottage in the middle of nowhere for us and our closest chums where we will drink rum and remember the good times.

Originally posted by loose

My mates and family are all getting a bit crazy about sorting leaving do's. A lot of my mates are married, and seem to be using my leaving as an excuse to plan weekends away left right and centre. Their wives (most of whom are good friends too) have got it on for me now - I reckon they'll be glad to see the back of me.

What did you guys get up to? And do you enjoy them, or does it just bring home to you how much you'll miss everyone?

Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:11 am
Re mem mem member

Sounds good bundy. Not sure my mates would suit the garden party, but the family would love it. So far the football team have got a race weekend lined up and a poss Dublin weekend (half of 'em are paddys). other mates sorting golf weekend and weekend in the Lakes. Couple of big parties for my huge extended (ooer) family. I've got a couple of ideas for those closer to me.

All in all I reckon I'll need a liver transplant when I get there.

Bit worried too, I'm gonna miss my little girl so much I reckon I'll just spend the last few weeks a quivering wreck.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:28 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Loose...alternatively you could just get so hammered that you barely know who you are, let alone where you are in relation to Mrs Loose!

Sounds good bundy. Not sure my mates would suit the garden party, but the family would love it. So far the football team have got a race weekend lined up and a poss Dublin weekend (half of 'em are paddys). other mates sorting golf weekend and weekend in the Lakes. Couple of big parties for my huge extended (ooer) family. I've got a couple of ideas for those closer to me.

All in all I reckon I'll need a liver transplant when I get there.

Bit worried too, I'm gonna miss my little girl so much I reckon I'll just spend the last few weeks a quivering wreck.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:32 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Loose

We've taken the decision not to have a leaving do, amongst other reasons it's just something else to think about and organise!

But we have booked a weekend in centre parcs with some of our closest and dearest friends for a good p*** up! and to spend some quality time with them!

It's not easy saying goodbye whatever you decide to do.

Good luck
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:42 am
Re mem mem member

You're right kittenlips its gonna be tough, i suppose we've got to stick with the optimism and just enjoy being with the people that mena a lot to us.

bundy, sorry I didn't mean Mrs loose. I meant my beautiful daughter. Went through a tough old break up when she was a baby and have always seen a lot of her since. She's the reason I didn't move to Oz over a year ago. We're very close, but things have movedd on and relationships all round are good, and she's a real happy balanced kid. If I'm gonna make the move nows the right time but its hard. Very hard.

Haven't really mentioned this before cos its a long story, and obviously very personal. think I was a bit worried some of the more opinionated posters might stick their oar in when they know nothing of my situation.

Anyway, bit off subject there soz.

Reckon you're right though - I'll just stay trolleyed where possible.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

No way am I having a goodbye party.............I will spend most of my time in the corner blubbing my eyes out!!!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:51 am
She's a bird, you know

Ahhh, I didn't realise Loose. Sorry if it upset you...

You're right, none of us really know each other here, and nobody ever knows the true circumstances of other people's lives, but that doesn't seem to stop some people on this forum from, as you say, sticking their oar in for effect.

Of course it's going to be tough leaving your daughter behind - it would be a worry if it wasn't. But you don't have to live near to someone to be close to them. My family are dispersed all over the globe but we all still keep in touch regularly - perhaps more regularly than we would if they lived up the road, because you have to make more of an effort. And in a way you are offering your daughter a new life too as she will be able to visit Oz and it can become a part of her life as well as yours.

You're a brave man Loose, to face a tough decision like that and still think of doing what's best for all involved.

You're right kittenlips its gonna be tough, i suppose we've got to stick with the optimism and just enjoy being with the people that mena a lot to us.

bundy, sorry I didn't mean Mrs loose. I meant my beautiful daughter. Went through a tough old break up when she was a baby and have always seen a lot of her since. She's the reason I didn't move to Oz over a year ago. We're very close, but things have movedd on and relationships all round are good, and she's a real happy balanced kid. If I'm gonna make the move nows the right time but its hard. Very hard.

Haven't really mentioned this before cos its a long story, and obviously very personal. think I was a bit worried some of the more opinionated posters might stick their oar in when they know nothing of my situation.

Anyway, bit off subject there soz.

Reckon you're right though - I'll just stay trolleyed where possible.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:52 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi loose,

Me and Will both had a weekend away with our closest friends which was really great (well mine was, Will cant remember much of his )
We also spent loads of time with those people over the last couple of months and I dont regret doing or not doing anything except having a great big leaving bash....it was horrible, though I'd really looked forward to it it was like a wake and was just the most horrible day and night! Thats the only bit of the whole process that I wouldnt do again.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:53 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of having a leaving do and inviting everyone I know.

Just me and my mate then down the pub !

Oh well, keeps it cheap I suppose
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:57 am
Re mem mem member

cheers bundy - yeah there's been a lot of soul searching, but there are plans in place to ensure lots of contact and regular trips. Couldn't have done it otherwise. It'll work cos we all want it to work.

Why the wake like last leaving do Mc Mercer? Was it just because it was the very last do?

Nobby, dont worry pal, we'll all vome see you off! You're buying though.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:59 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had plenty of leaving do's that just involved us and friends having a drink and they were great, only the big do with everyone that was horrid, its silly too that the ones who made a big fuss that day arent the people we miss or have had any contact with us since arrival.
Some people just love a drama....all of our real friends did the same as us, enjoyed the time we were there, and many are in almost daily contact since we got here, wish we'd just kept it for them really, which we did on the very last night!!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:05 am
Re mem mem member

good point - I think the ones that kick of a little, or get all unneccesarily heavy, are not those closest to you. The people that matter most know you're not doing this lightly, and are happy for you. They'll do what they can to make the final stages as good as they can be i reckon. Least I hope thats how it'll go.....I could be talking my usual rubbish mind
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I don't want a leaving do 'cause all I'll do is cry. If I had a choice I would just slip away into the night and then contact everyone at the other end.

I am going out with a few of my work mates before hand and I will organise a night out with my close friends and get totally sloshed and hopefully slip away at the end of the night.

You can keep goodbyes, I am not looking forward to saying goodbye to family as I know mum and I are going to cry for England.

Leaving party? You can stick it where the sun don't shine!!!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

We've booked our local Walkabout (very apt - Oz Bar) for our leaving do, this is the friends party. We then intend on having a family party at home this way it suits everyone's taste - friends party to get absolutely wasted and talk about old time and the family one to get all the blubbing out the way together

Good Luck with what every you choose to do.

Bye for now
Nat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.