Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leave for Rekkie trip on Saturday - What is the MUST do while I am there!

Leave for Rekkie trip on Saturday - What is the MUST do while I am there!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:53 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leave for Rekkie trip on Saturday - What is the MUST do while I am there!

Just feel totally unorganised!! And time is running out fast!! So just wondered from those of you already there or done the rekkie already what is the MUST DO, that we have to do when we are there??
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:02 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave for Rekkie trip on Saturday - What is the MUST do while I am there!

Originally Posted by toon williams
Just feel totally unorganised!! And time is running out fast!! So just wondered from those of you already there or done the rekkie already what is the MUST DO, that we have to do when we are there??
Have a good look round the suburbs that you have on your shortlist and make sure you find somewhere you think you'd be happy to settle. When we went on our reccie to Melbourne, we couldn't find anywhere suitable for us and so we ended up in Brisbane instead. We were intent on going to Melbourne but are so glad we found out before we moved that it (or more correctly, the suburbs, we loved the city ) wasn't for us. It would have been a very expensive mistake otherwise.

Jane
p.s. have a great time and don't be too stressed by it. Save that for the move itself.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:11 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave for Rekkie trip on Saturday - What is the MUST do while I am there!

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Have a good look round the suburbs that you have on your shortlist and make sure you find somewhere you think you'd be happy to settle. When we went on our reccie to Melbourne, we couldn't find anywhere suitable for us and so we ended up in Brisbane instead. We were intent on going to Melbourne but are so glad we found out before we moved that it (or more correctly, the suburbs, we loved the city ) wasn't for us. It would have been a very expensive mistake otherwise.

Jane
p.s. have a great time and don't be too stressed by it. Save that for the move itself.

Will try to not get TOOO stressed!!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim

Jane

I totally agree with you about looking around, we wanted to go to Adelaide, and out of the blue, hubby got job offer if he wanted it, in Melbourne, we went to Melbourne in fact he was working there for the company for one week, but Melbourne wasn't, what it was 8 years ago, none of us like it. we went to Adelaide and hubby went with he's CV's to loads agencies, they recommend that we should buy Australian Mobile, if they needed to get in touch with us best advice given, when we were buying the mobile, all we wanted was something cheap and cheerful, and pay as you go, we just gave them our rental place as our resident saved us fortune, check the local library if need to use the internet it's free for one hour a bit slow but we again save quite a bit of money.
also when it came to car rental, haggle we played them against each other at the airport and we made quite a bit of saving.
Enjoy yourself, as looking around suburbs can be very boring for children, make pack with them.
Take sun screen with you, my husband is very fair and he got burn it was winter.

Also internal flight are very cheap, if you book via internet. if you have time open an account with nationwide, as they dont charge a penny if you need to take cash out, or shopping for currency exchange. Also if you use your debit card, just tell them its credit card, cause they have different names for it like saving.
Also let your Mobile company know you are going to Australia to unlock your phones.

hope it helps.

Farideh
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:49 pm
Starting the long wait...

Didigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant future

Great advice.

We are leaving for our reccie trip next week and was wondering exactly the same thing. We want to relax and treat it as a much needed holiday aswell.

Our main problem is we only have a 20kg limit each for a three week trip (are too tight to pay excess baggage). We also have a 2 year old in tow so all the gubbins that she needs will also have to come. We are travelling as far north as Monkey Mia and I understand that it is warmer there than Perth where we will be spending most of our time - so we seem to be taking our whole wardrobe to cover all weather possibilities. A tad excessive so could do with some first hand experience/advice on what to expect generally!

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by toon williams
Kids schools! ... no 1 thing for us.

We did ours this time last year and half of our trip was spent visiting schools on the Gold Coast as we knew we was coming here.

The school we came away thinking was fav has dictated where we live now, and the kids love it there! ... and that's good enough for us! ...