Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Learning To Ride Motorbike In Qld?

Wikiposts

Learning To Ride Motorbike In Qld?

Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future
Default Re: Learning To Ride Motorbike In Qld?

Originally Posted by furkew
Are there any restrictions that anybody knows about if you have only recently passed you motorcycle test ?

I am in the middle of everything at the moment here in Holland, and want to jump straight onto a big bike when I get over to Oz early next year.

I'll be moving to Melbourne if that makes any difference.

Paul
hi paul
i have just passed my test last week in the uk , direct access so can ride any bike and was looking forward to a nice 600cc when i get to perth in november, only to find out that if you passed your test less than 12 months ago you can only ride a bike up to 250cc.
I don,t know if it is an automatic upgrade of licence after 12 months or you have to sit a test. I am now thinking why did I bother.

I am now allowed to ride any bike in the uk which is a lot harder to pass than in oz. hope somebody can shed some more light on this

steve
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:34 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birchway
hi paul
i have just passed my test last week in the uk , direct access so can ride any bike and was looking forward to a nice 600cc when i get to perth in november, only to find out that if you passed your test less than 12 months ago you can only ride a bike up to 250cc.
I don,t know if it is an automatic upgrade of licence after 12 months or you have to sit a test. I am now thinking why did I bother.

I am now allowed to ride any bike in the uk which is a lot harder to pass than in oz. hope somebody can shed some more light on this

steve
I hope thats not the case, otherwise I will stop my lessons over here. I was looking at this baby for cruising around the yarra ranges, and it's definitely not a 250cc !!!

Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:47 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
hey pete...

have PMed you relevant details etc.

Just a note for anyone... if you contact a q-ride trainer and after telling them that you've never (ever) ridden a bike in your life they tell you they'll pass you in 6 hours - steer clear!!! I took 10.5 hours to do mine from scratch and when instructor totaled the hours up he said that he hadn't seen it done that fast in a long time... bank on it being around the 12 hour mark (I spent the first 8 hours with private tuition)

Also recommend Morgan & Wacker (Springwood) the guys down there are excellent. all the bikes are well maintained and the really know what they're talking about.

for anyone who's not moved over here yet be wary about relying on Q-Ride to pass. They have just done a review of q-ride and it looks like there are possibly some changes in the pipeline. Heard a couple of weeks ago about a kid (22) up north who did his q-ride in the minimum 6 hours, got on his new (1000cc) bike later that afternoon and was dead by 7pm that night.

and 232bar is totally right - riding a bike over here can be quite scary at times.... I've already had someone reverse their car into me whilst in a car park - guy didn't even look!!!! I've also had 3 cars pull out in front of me at junctions, 1 pull into my lane infront of me, and one try to change lanes whilst I'm up along side them! scary biscuits....

but I wouldn't be without my bike for anything in the world now!!!
I'm doing my Q-RIDE on Tuesday and I was completely honest with my school and told them that I had about 18 months of road experience (UK) back in 1986-1988 riding a 50cc BUT that I had also owned a YZ125 offroad bike in 1988 and done a lot of off-road riding and he said that I only needed to do the 6 hour course.

The thing that worries me is doing my assessment on a 500cc. It's a big bike and I've never ridden something that big?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

if you've had experience on a bike before DR, thenI think you'll be fine with the 6 hours.

what they should take you through is basic techniques (straight lines, corners laps etc), hill starts, fig8s, slalom, a slow ride (10m at walking pace), breaking to a point, counter steering, emergency breaking, hazard evasion and the out on the road - back streets at first, then open road (i got a blast up the freeway!).

i spent the first few hours on a little Honda CB250 and very very quickly got bored on it. It felt small and to be honest I didn't feel that safe on it and was reconsidering learning at all. I went then popped up onto the BMW F650GS (think it was a Dakar) and it felt much better. with the skills that I was practising I never felt that I was out of control on the big bike, and was never going too fast either. cornering was easier as was fig8 and slalom. you'll be (scared but) fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any other general bikie questions the best bet it to get along to www.netrider.net.au and ask there
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:43 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I'm doing my Q-RIDE on Tuesday and I was completely honest with my school and told them that I had about 18 months of road experience (UK) back in 1986-1988 riding a 50cc BUT that I had also owned a YZ125 offroad bike in 1988 and done a lot of off-road riding and he said that I only needed to do the 6 hour course.

The thing that worries me is doing my assessment on a 500cc. It's a big bike and I've never ridden something that big?
I take lessons on the BMW 650, and they are very easy bikes to ride. You can feel they have power, but if you have enough experience on the road, and also a bit of experience riding different bikes, I wouldnt worry too much.

Once you have been sat on the bike for a couple of hours, it gets easy.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:27 pm
Going for a ride

I found this on the Vic roads website regarding transferring foreign licenses.

I cant seem to find anything that refers to recently aquired bike licences.

Vic Roads
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:38 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

if you've had experience on a bike before DR, thenI think you'll be fine with the 6 hours.

what they should take you through is basic techniques (straight lines, corners laps etc), hill starts, fig8s, slalom, a slow ride (10m at walking pace), breaking to a point, counter steering, emergency breaking, hazard evasion and the out on the road - back streets at first, then open road (i got a blast up the freeway!).

i spent the first few hours on a little Honda CB250 and very very quickly got bored on it. It felt small and to be honest I didn't feel that safe on it and was reconsidering learning at all. I went then popped up onto the BMW F650GS (think it was a Dakar) and it felt much better. with the skills that I was practising I never felt that I was out of control on the big bike, and was never going too fast either. cornering was easier as was fig8 and slalom. you'll be (scared but) fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any other general bikie questions the best bet it to get along to www.netrider.net.au and ask there
Cool.

I've just bought my Kawasaki KLX250R '06 trail bike (road bike) and I will be picking it up on Wednesday. I'm only really getting my bike licence so I can get to my new job easily and under my own steam (as my better half has the car). The KLX250 is perfect as a run-around (and it sounds quite powerful to me) and I think I'd feel better getting some experience on that before progressing to a big bike (I was thinking of getting a Suzuki 400 trail bike but it was over $10,000. The KLX cost me $6,895. I can't wait... )
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Cool.

I've just bought my Kawasaki KLX250R '06 trail bike (road bike) and I will be picking it up on Wednesday. I'm only really getting my bike licence so I can get to my new job easily and under my own steam (as my better half has the car). The KLX250 is perfect as a run-around (and it sounds quite powerful to me) and I think I'd feel better getting some experience on that before progressing to a big bike (I was thinking of getting a Suzuki 400 trail bike but it was over $10,000. The KLX cost me $6,895. I can't wait... )
excellent....... where did you get it from??

EDIT: note about netrider... they're having server probs at the minute and the website is yo-yoing on and off - just keep checking. it's like the BE of the biking world! - full of info!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:34 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I want a skooter lol what tests do I need
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

in QLD - just a car licence I believe.

but do a 4 hours scooter course if you've never ridden one before - better safe than sorry!!!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:56 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

excellent....... where did you get it from??

EDIT: note about netrider... they're having server probs at the minute and the website is yo-yoing on and off - just keep checking. it's like the BE of the biking world! - full of info!
I got it from TeamMoto Kawasaki in Bowen Hills. A really nice bunch of guys too.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:41 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by biggy
I want a skooter lol what tests do I need
...BUT it does depend on what size scooter that you want? (engine).
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

i got my bike from teammoto springwood!

if you need anything else in future haed down to Pro Kawa at springwood... have a friend who works down there and she'll see you right for things!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:41 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

i got my bike from teammoto springwood!

if you need anything else in future haed down to Pro Kawa at springwood... have a friend who works down there and she'll see you right for things!
Cool.

Thanks for that!..
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

...BUT it does depend on what size scooter that you want? (engine).
Under 50cc and you can use a car licence in QLD.

There is now a lot of choice in the scooter market, it just depends what you want.

I've no regrets with my 50cc fun machine

WW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.