Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Learning To Ride Motorbike In Qld?

Wikiposts

Learning To Ride Motorbike In Qld?

Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning To Ride Motorbike In Qld?

Originally Posted by woogle
Thats what my husband did and he never held a bike licence in the UK, he now has a full bike licence.
That Q-ride, but you can only do it in one day if you have had experence. If you new it's 2 and half days.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:14 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,

Here are a few links so you can get an idea of prices etc

http://www.bikesales.com.au
http://www.bikepoint.com.au

private dealer who seem like a good bloke.
http://www.leadingedgemotorcycles.com.au

Avoid the big dealers!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:38 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by themerlin
Pete,

Here are a few links so you can get an idea of prices etc

http://www.bikesales.com.au
http://www.bikepoint.com.au

private dealer who seem like a good bloke.
http://www.leadingedgemotorcycles.com.au

Avoid the big dealers!
Hi Themerlin, Im like you want to start off from scratch, Ive had my car licence for 10 years now but thought that it would be good to get a bike licence for travelling to work.Thanks for the websites they look good. Just hope that the insurance will not be too bad! So I take it then that you take your OZ theory 30 questions test to change your car licence for Queensland one and then if I want to do my bike licence do I have to take a small test like the UK CBT and then I can ride upto a 250cc on L plates? Pete
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:56 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Hi Themerlin, Im like you want to start off from scratch, Ive had my car licence for 10 years now but thought that it would be good to get a bike licence for travelling to work.Thanks for the websites they look good. Just hope that the insurance will not be too bad! So I take it then that you take your OZ theory 30 questions test to change your car licence for Queensland one and then if I want to do my bike licence do I have to take a small test like the UK CBT and then I can ride upto a 250cc on L plates? Pete
Hi.

If you decide to ride on L-plates under the RE motorbike learner licence you are not allowed to ride on your own. You must be accompanied at all times by a "teacher" who has held the equivalent licence for at least one year and they can be either on their own bike or pillion.

I phoned my local licencing centre today and they clarified all of this. I also spoke to a Q-Ride centre recognised by the QLD transport department and they said that it's very possible to get your assessment for your R licence (full bike licence) in one day if you have prior experience of riding motorbikes.

Theoretically, it is possible to go from no licence to full licence in one day but you need to progress by:

QLD Car licence (C) theory test -> RE motoribike theory test -> Q-Ride -> R Licence motorbike (unrestricted) but you need to be sure that you can pass both theory tests on the same day (and do it early - before your Q-Ride course).
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:05 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi.

If you decide to ride on L-plates under the RE motorbike learner licence you are not allowed to ride on your own. You must be accompanied at all times by a "teacher" who has held the equivalent licence for at least one year and they can be either on their own bike or pillion.

I phoned my local licencing centre today and they clarified all of this. I also spoke to a Q-Ride centre recognised by the QLD transport department and they said that it's very possible to get your assessment for your R licence (full bike licence) in one day if you have prior experience of riding motorbikes.

Theoretically, it is possible to go from no licence to full licence in one day but you need to progress by:

QLD Car licence (C) theory test -> RE motoribike theory test -> Q-Ride -> R Licence motorbike (unrestricted) but you need to be sure that you can pass both theory tests on the same day (and do it early - before your Q-Ride course).
So may as well go for the full bike licence straight away as I would be on my own getting to work and a L palte would be no good. Pete
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:15 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

YoSemite has just done her Q-ride and jumped straight onto a 650cc as soon as she passed. Something to do with having your car licence for so long in the UK before doing Q-ride. Send her a PM, I think she's the most recent one to have passed and I'm sure she'll give you details from the horses mouth. The questions you have to answer at QLD transport are so basic they are a joke, and I'm still not convinced Q-ride is a good idea. At least in the UK 'direct access' is quite in depth and the test is still quite hard to pass, Q-ride, it seems is assessment based. Bear in mind over here - car drivers don't give a second thought to anyone else on the road, especially bikers. I've seen more bike crashes here in one year than I saw in 20+ years in the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

My husband says "you can leave your brain at home and still pass the 5 questions its that easy !" He went with a compny called Morgan and Wacker to do his test. Its a set fee for a 6 hour assessment, if they think youre good enough after the 6 hours you walk away with your licence if they think you need more time thereafter they charge by the hour ,$48/ph until they think you are competent.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:38 pm

Hi Pete,

There are two paths. Ride safe I think it called. With there is no CBT but you can only ride when someone is on the back of the bike or riding near you within a set distance (I think they can even be in a car). You then do a riding test that allows you to get an RE licence (250cc or more). This seems a really silly way of doing things if you ask me.

The other way is Q-ride get your learners just anwser 5 simple questions. Do a 2.5 day course and your away. If you have been driving for 3 years you can get an open licence if not an RE licence. The process is the same for both just with the open licence you get to ride a 500cc bike on your last day.

Like someone said before jumping on a large bike with 2.5 days experence is a one way ticket to the grace yard but at the same time a 250cc bike is way to small if you weigh over 60kg

I have been here 5 years and never seen any bike accedents, drivers are no worse here in my view. I in fact found them alot worse in the UK when I went back at xmas going really fast on narrow roads in the rain/snow. Roads here are also wider so it's eaiser to get out the way.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:27 pm

Just hope that the insurance will not be too bad!
I pay about $200 a year fully comp for a 500cc bike from swan insurance, thats with a few years no claim from my car insurance.
Got my bike licence last november.

Last edited by themerlin; Aug 27th 2006 at 9:35 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Hubby paid $280 for 640cc brand new KTM, fully comp. Think it was QBE & they allowed his max ncb, just sent them a copy of his Uk NCB from his Norwich Union car policy. Some other insurers will only allow ncb based on the number of years you have held a motorbike licence, so you need to shop around, some places quoted us about $700
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by woogle
My husband says "you can leave your brain at home and still pass the 5 questions its that easy !" He went with a compny called Morgan and Wacker to do his test. Its a set fee for a 6 hour assessment, if they think youre good enough after the 6 hours you walk away with your licence if they think you need more time thereafter they charge by the hour ,$48/ph until they think you are competent.
How many hours did it take him?
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Yea mate had same idea sunny bike ride out it was great lasted three months to dodgy i think i was better of in a car thats bad enough they are mad drivers try pro honda ipswich road they pass you in two days crash course if your game :scared:
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themerlin
How many hours did it take him?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

hey pete...

have PMed you relevant details etc.

Just a note for anyone... if you contact a q-ride trainer and after telling them that you've never (ever) ridden a bike in your life they tell you they'll pass you in 6 hours - steer clear!!! I took 10.5 hours to do mine from scratch and when instructor totaled the hours up he said that he hadn't seen it done that fast in a long time... bank on it being around the 12 hour mark (I spent the first 8 hours with private tuition)

Also recommend Morgan & Wacker (Springwood) the guys down there are excellent. all the bikes are well maintained and the really know what they're talking about.

for anyone who's not moved over here yet be wary about relying on Q-Ride to pass. They have just done a review of q-ride and it looks like there are possibly some changes in the pipeline. Heard a couple of weeks ago about a kid (22) up north who did his q-ride in the minimum 6 hours, got on his new (1000cc) bike later that afternoon and was dead by 7pm that night.

and 232bar is totally right - riding a bike over here can be quite scary at times.... I've already had someone reverse their car into me whilst in a car park - guy didn't even look!!!! I've also had 3 cars pull out in front of me at junctions, 1 pull into my lane infront of me, and one try to change lanes whilst I'm up along side them! scary biscuits....

but I wouldn't be without my bike for anything in the world now!!!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:40 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any restrictions that anybody knows about if you have only recently passed you motorcycle test ?

I am in the middle of everything at the moment here in Holland, and want to jump straight onto a big bike when I get over to Oz early next year.

I'll be moving to Melbourne if that makes any difference.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.