Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in perth-help

learning to drive in perth-help

Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Penry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nice
Default learning to drive in perth-help

Hi!

I have a problem and need some advice. I only started to learn to drive in november and my progress is VERY slow! We leave the Uk on April 2nd for Perth which is not that far away. Basically I need to know if I should book an intensive course of classes and try to pass my test before coming or just do the whole thing when I arrive. This is stressing me out more than the actual move itself-HELP! Also need to know the situation regarding the public transort in the Wanneroo area as that is where we will be initially staying.

Please Help
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:59 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: learning to drive in perth-help

Originally Posted by Penry
Hi!

I have a problem and need some advice. I only started to learn to drive in november and my progress is VERY slow! We leave the Uk on April 2nd for Perth which is not that far away. Basically I need to know if I should book an intensive course of classes and try to pass my test before coming or just do the whole thing when I arrive. This is stressing me out more than the actual move itself-HELP! Also need to know the situation regarding the public transort in the Wanneroo area as that is where we will be initially staying.

Please Help
I started learning to drive in the UK but found it very hard and gave up. I took lessons from my DH here in Perth and passed my test first time. I found them to be more lenient here, if thats any help! If I was you, do your test here.
No trains in Wanneroo itself, dont know about buses though as I ,live in Rockingham.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Please Help
there will be buses from wanneroo that take you to the train station at Joondalup but I will warn you after about 7 in the evening the buses will stop.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

price28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been trying to drive on and off since i turned 17 started and gave up 4 or 5 times.
My progress was also very slow and i was having lessons for 1 year and no where near a test.
I came here settled in and started driving lessons 6 weeks ago in an automatic (much easier) and i have my test on Thursday my driving instructor is just the best. I am in Joondalup and if you want the number ill message you it i think his dad does the manual and he does Auto.

The transport isnt to bad in Wanneroo will depend on where abouts i think too but definately no trains.

I would probably give up in England and wait till you get here as you are probably making it worrse by stressing about it all, probably got enough on with out all that.

Good Luck Jo
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Penry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nicePenry is just really nice

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom made me feel much more at ease with the situation.

My only concern is that our relatives have mentioned something aout a "Log book" where you have to log all the hours you drive after passing your test?? They made it sound very complicated and scared me a bit. They also mentioned that they have introduced a theory test any idea?

Would love the number of the driving instructor (automatic) so long as he is very patient!

Thanks very much
Lisa
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

price28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom made me feel much more at ease with the situation.

My only concern is that our relatives have mentioned something aout a "Log book" where you have to log all the hours you drive after passing your test?? They made it sound very complicated and scared me a bit. They also mentioned that they have introduced a theory test any idea?

Would love the number of the driving instructor (automatic) so long as he is very patient!

Thanks very much
Lisa
Yep
when you get here you have to do a theory test to get your learners permit. It is easy its them silly questions and you can go on their website think its dpi.gov.au and you can do trial theory tests. i did one before my test and the questions where the same its easier than the uk test as i have done both.
If i pass tomorrow you have to get a logbook and drive with p plate till you have completed 25 hours driving this is just normal driving after you have passed (with family in car) and then you also do hazard perception test i havent done this yet but i cant imagine it is to hard as long as you have read the book. When you get here the licensing office you do it all at, there is a free book there just read that and i am sure you will be fine.

I would definately recommend the website its been a wealth of info i will let you know if i pass tomorrow what the rest of the process is like.
i will pm you driving instructors number.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:17 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have a good driving instructor they can reccommed? I have my learners permit just need to book some lessons.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:29 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Defensive Driving School 9244 9001 $45 per lesson.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi!

Please Help
Not quite sure where you will be living but if it is up here in the Northern Suburbs I know of a fantastic driving instructor.....he is so good even the licencing centre recommend him!!! He has also got a few of the expats through their test..........even MrsPerthforme..........and thats saying something!!!! Send me a pm if you want his details
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by price28
Yep
when you get here you have to do a theory test to get your learners permit. It is easy its them silly questions and you can go on their website think its dpi.gov.au and you can do trial theory tests. i did one before my test and the questions where the same its easier than the uk test as i have done both.
If i pass tomorrow you have to get a logbook and drive with p plate till you have completed 25 hours driving this is just normal driving after you have passed (with family in car) and then you also do hazard perception test i havent done this yet but i cant imagine it is to hard as long as you have read the book. When you get here the licensing office you do it all at, there is a free book there just read that and i am sure you will be fine.

I would definately recommend the website its been a wealth of info i will let you know if i pass tomorrow what the rest of the process is like.
i will pm you driving instructors number.
Hi JO...fingers crossed for you then..hope all goes well
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:32 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Hi JO...fingers crossed for you then..hope all goes well
The log book thing is easy, I just took someone with me (friend/family etc) for each trip i made, it took just 2 weeks to get my 25 hours in as I drove all over the place. Its no different to being a learner and having someone with a licence in the car with you. You just write down the trip e.g. 12th Feb Perth to Rockingham 45kms 1pm and then the person signs it, simple. Hazard test I was worried about but it wasnt too bad, its just a film where you have to indicate where you would brake etc, bit like an interactive simulation. So you would 'brake' when a car pulled out in front of you etc. Very easy, and i am not the brightest person, and I was so sure i would fail as I am crap at parallel parking.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Not quite sure where you will be living but if it is up here in the Northern Suburbs I know of a fantastic driving instructor.....he is so good even the licencing centre recommend him!!! He has also got a few of the expats through their test..........even MrsPerthforme..........and thats saying something!!!! Send me a pm if you want his details
Hello
We will be staying in pearsall, which I believe is in the Northern Suburbs so if you could give me the number that would be great
Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
My daughter is 19 and passed her test after the 5th time in the Uk just before we came out, with alot of stress,tears and feeling of being useless. As she hadn't passed her test for two years before we came here, she has to have P plates on for two years, which basically means she can't have as much alcohol in her blood as if she didn't have them on. Western Australia this is in.

She now has her own little car, drives regularly to Freemantle and back daily and absolutely loves driving here. She used to get so stressed out driving in the uk. She says it is far less stressfull, you don't have to keep stopping and starting on side roads to let cars go passed parked cars because they don't park on the roads here, and there are very, very few Islands. Oh and the scenery is to die for, and as far as I am aware it is cheaper with your theory etc, if you fail, they show you the questions you failed and you don't have to pay to resit it, or something like that, however if you have passed you will only have to do a quick eye sight test, have your piccy taken and fill in some forms and all done.

If I were you I would wait...

Kim
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:35 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi!

Please Help
Personally I would get the driving licence out the way in the UK. You will be stuck on P plates here for ages now they have changed the amount of driving practice you need to do before you get your full licence. Its gone from something like 25hours to 125 or more of driving with a responsible person with you and logging it in a book. Not entirly sure of the exacts but maybe email Siren as she has done it over here.
Jenny
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hello
We will be staying in pearsall, which I believe is in the Northern Suburbs so if you could give me the number that would be great
Thanks
His name is Stan...........phone number 0408940447

Tell him Sandra (Micks the painters missus sent you) He got my eldest son Toby through his test!!!!!