Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At last we are in Sydney.

At last we are in Sydney.

Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:29 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default At last we are in Sydney.

Hi everyone.
Well we made it in one piece, just. oh boy it feels strange to be here.
We arrived on Thursday at 10ish in the morning and got a very large taxi to take our luggage to our rental apt. We had to send 3 items by airfrieght at the airport as we were so over and we still had 7 suit cases, you defo need the 40kgs that singapore offer thats for sure.
Both the flights went well and singapore airport had loads of shops for us to wander round and the transit hotel was nice for a shower.
Matt finally bought me my eternity ring that i have been after for ages, a beautiful diamand band from Tiffanys i defo kicked him in the bo**ocks with that one but i am one happy lady.
Matt got out the phone book to find a hire car while i feel asleep by the time i woke up he had been picked up by a lady from the car hire firm, filled out the forms and was back with shopping from woollworths.
We went out that night to The Ranch for tea and fell into bed.

Friday our mission was to get a laptop and wireless modem and online asap so we went off to power house and thats just what we did, i also got a mobile and a navman. I think we got a good deal and i pushed for discount on it all which i got.
We went round lots of agents picking up rental lists and by this time the kids were getting bored and very augumentative so home we went with a promise of a good day Saturday.

Sat we went to Bondi and it was so warm but the bloody parking is expensive.
After that we popped to watsons bay for fish and chips and the wind picked up so quick it was unbelievable it even rained for a few seconds, yes just seconds.

Today we went looking at some of the rentals that have addresses listed and i will be ringing agents to view tmrw.

Have lots of things on my list to do tmrw, tax file number, medicare, Matt going to sort out work and yes i need to get the kids sorted for school. I do have a bit of a problem regards schools as we are living a fare way from the area we intend to live and the kids are in holiday mode which is frustrating.

Think we have set hearts on Baulkham hills area but still open to suggestions.

well i think i have rattled on for long enough, i just wanted to share these first few days with you all.

It all feels very sureal still and i think we just need to get a house, job and school asap to make it all real and get the kids out of holiday mode.

Thanks guys
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:33 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Default Re: At last we are in Sydney.

welcome to Australia. Sounds as though you all are so organised. Good luck with the rental hunting, then you will be able to sit back and enjoy this wonderful country.

Neil.b
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys glad you arrived safely. It certainly is abit crazy at first getting everything sorted. Good luck with the rental & job hunting.

Donna & Neil
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

good luck with the house hunting and schools. What school are you sending them to? I went to St michaels primary yrs ago, and what i can remember is that it was a good school, Good sports days, and swimming comps!!!
Secondary school was oakhill college, just past castle hill, was good, but left for europe in grade 8, so can't help there that much.
Hills district is great, not too far from city, but still far enough for the cheaper houses.
Good Luck with everything
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79 View Post
good luck with the house hunting and schools. What school are you sending them to? I went to St michaels primary yrs ago, and what i can remember is that it was a good school, Good sports days, and swimming comps!!!
Secondary school was oakhill college, just past castle hill, was good, but left for europe in grade 8, so can't help there that much.
Hills district is great, not too far from city, but still far enough for the cheaper houses.
Good Luck with everything
It amazes me what people need to bring on the flight over.......We had the 40kgs each for 5 of us and we still had at least 40kg free and we even packed sleeping bags, campbeds and bedding, all our last minute bits and pieces. I just packed what we would need for 2 weeks as if on holiday then added the extra. Washed clothes and managed with what was missing until container arrived.

Congrats on getting here though, happy hunting.

Jo
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Hi Lisa, Great to hear that you have arrived Ok, good luck with the schools and houses, have you got the bridge walk booked yet for your daughters birthday?, sounds like your getting organised, has Mat got a job lined up thought he said he had?

Won't be long now before S J and Kels will be leaving and hopefully we will be there in Jan 08, just waiting for CO now.

Best wishes, keep in touch.

Rob, Helen & Caitlain.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to Sydney! We've been here three months now. We're living in St. Ives on the North Shore - had to pay more than we hoped for our rental but it's a nice area (if quiet!) and the kids love it. The pool is definitely a big hit though I think we're the only people mad enough to be swimming at the moment (we bought the kids wetsuits!!!). Don't know how old yours are - mine are 14, 8 and 4. There are quite a few meet ups - have a look in the meet ups section once you get sorted. If you end up in the Hills district I think there are quite a few others here in the area. Hope to see you at a meet soon
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

YAY glad to see you all arrived safely and an eternity ring from tiffanys?????????? that made me blub!! how romantic You lucky lucky girl you
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Well done....read your report remins me just how far we have come in 4 weeks !

Can't wait for our rental to be ready next Monday.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery View Post
Welcome to Sydney! We've been here three months now. We're living in St. Ives on the North Shore - had to pay more than we hoped for our rental but it's a nice area (if quiet!) and the kids love it. The pool is definitely a big hit though I think we're the only people mad enough to be swimming at the moment (we bought the kids wetsuits!!!). Don't know how old yours are - mine are 14, 8 and 4. There are quite a few meet ups - have a look in the meet ups section once you get sorted. If you end up in the Hills district I think there are quite a few others here in the area. Hope to see you at a meet soon
We are also in St Ives, we've been here 21 months now and loving it. we are just looking to buy. Baulkham Hills isn't that far from St Ives so maybe we should start thinking about a North Shore meet.

Debs
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:29 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Hi all
Thanks for all fo your replys, it makes me thankfull that i have expats to come to to share things.
Will keep you posted on what is happening.
Matt has got got a job and signs contract in a few days, he starts on 22nd October. He was well chuffed as they offered him $15,000 a year more than they did from the uk.
Bloody hell the phone is ringing again better go.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Congrats on the job Mat, looks like the tinnies are on you when we get there then with 15k extra

Chuffed its going well so far for you

Best wishes,

Rob, Helen & Caitlain.