Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The last piece in my Jigsaw of an Oz Trip

The last piece in my Jigsaw of an Oz Trip

Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:02 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough
Default The last piece in my Jigsaw of an Oz Trip

http://www.realholidays.com.au/cgi-b...0&id=402499909

Thanks for the replies regarding my flights, and car hire, next i suppose is the last piece in the jigsaw. The chateu, the place i shall lay me head for the period of my stay in the place i may call my home in the future?

Anyway, i know, you have lived their so any chance of some feedback on the accomodation aspect of this trip? Above is a place which interests me. I am not saying i intend to rent this, but some thing very similar. The cost seems about right, location good, ticks all my boxes!

Has anyone else rented this sort of thing from these people, is it a good idea, because i have no idea, not the sort of thing i have done before. Do you call them put a deposit down, arrive, pick up the keys, pick up some food, and enjoy?

I suppose what really worries me is firstly, spiders, snakes and insects, do these places get fumegated between each visitor, or do you have to do it yourself? I lay there last night in the pit just wondering whether i would be safe sleeping in a holiday let on ground floor level. Considering many other species of gods creatures may have lived there for along time? I do not want to get into the pit, only to be awaked by an Ozy spider nibbling at my toe?

Just wondering whether it may be better to rent a top floor flat, these things
do not like heights?

Anyway does this type of accomodation look about right for Mr Fork and Miss Knife. Bloody nervous about all this, flying half way around the world, then sleeping in a wooden hut, feel abit like Indiana Jones!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:32 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The last piece in my Jigsaw of an Oz Trip

Sod the insects mate... You're right on the water's edge... It's the salties that'll get you there...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:43 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Yabbies are your biggest concern. Especially in Scarborough.

They very often, migrate off the beach, and make their way thru the gardens at dusk. Can be very dangerous, hence often you will hear aussies making a "thwacking noise "

That being from their thongs, as they try and swat the Yabbies.

The red back variety are the most dangerous, as these home in on human body temperature, similar to mozzies, but apart from biting, can administer a lethal sting.

Be careful, have a safe trip...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:59 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Yabbies are your biggest concern. Especially in Scarborough.

They very often, migrate off the beach, and make their way thru the gardens at dusk. Can be very dangerous, hence often you will hear aussies making a "thwacking noise "

That being from their thongs, as they try and swat the Yabbies.

The red back variety are the most dangerous, as these home in on human body temperature, similar to mozzies, but apart from biting, can administer a lethal sting.

Be careful, have a safe trip...
Hey, com'on i started this thread because i am genuinely interested in solid feedback. I know it sounds a bit woofty, but you do not need to take the p!ss out of me. When you are used to living in concrete city here in the UK, i will not tell you where but the only insects and gods creatures you see here is the flies of the dog sh!t everywhere!

But Timber Floor Au, you have experienced concrete city looking at your past posts, so will know what i mean!

Sleep safe at night Timber Floor Au, be safe, beware of the Yabbies, and remember to wear flourescent thongs they will act as a deterent to the Yabbies!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:06 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by forkandknife
Hey, com'on i started this thread because i am genuinely interested in solid feedback. I know it sounds a bit woofty, but you do not need to take the p!ss out of me. When you are used to living in concrete city here in the UK, i will not tell you where but the only insects and gods creatures you see here is the flies of the dog sh!t everywhere!

But Timber Floor Au, you have experienced concrete city looking at your past posts, so will know what i mean!

Sleep safe at night Timber Floor Au, be safe, beware of the Yabbies, and remember to wear flourescent thongs they will act as a deterent to the Yabbies!
How have I got experience of concrete city as you so aptly put it lol/??

Please dont be offended by the Yabbie crack, I find it bewildering that anyone with the notion of moving "kit and kaboodle" across the globe has prioritized their concerns, re a rental on the beach and the worry of a few insects.

QLD is sub tropical, we get insects, we get strange monkey noise making animals, called Kookaburras, we get crocs ( alledgedly ) .. we get insects you can only stare at and wonder.. would that bastard , kill me?

But to the best of my knowledge, no one on here has died from insect bite, being caught by a jelly fish, bit by a shark, or stung by a ray.. not eaten by a redback or nutted from above by a drop-bear.

So be serious, dont worry about fumigation, ffs this is australia, the land of dusty roads, croc dundee and wow sight n sound.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:26 pm
Banned

We desparately miss, our fave indian takeaway, from coventry. Limran in Earlsdon.

Walked past there this morning, right in the middle of concrete town!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:31 pm
Banned

lol and you call Earlsdon a concrete jungle?

Shikes.. lol

Australia isnt what you are expecting then..

I would recommend digging deep, and doing a trip to Oz. Get some bearings, have a look around, and yield a taste for , the real Australia.

As for Scarborough, nice location, but why did you pick Scarborough out of interest?

And bring me 2 chicken madras, 2 fried rice one keema nan, and some mushroom bhaji
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:36 pm
Banned

And bring me 2 chicken madras, 2 fried rice one keema nan, and some mushroom bhaji
I shall eat and enjoy tonight and think of Timber Floor Au!

lol and you call Earlsdon a concrete jungle?
Shikes.. lol
Live just down from the City Arms, its freezing here, but i am off down there now, a nice pint of Pedigree, then another seven, then a curry, and if Miss Knife is lucky, end the night with a shake, rattle and role!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:38 pm
Banned

I shall eat and enjoy tonight and think of Timber Floor Au!

Live just down from the City Arms, its freezing here, but i am off down there now, a nice pint of Pedigree, then another seven, then a curry, and if Miss Knife is lucky, end the night with a shake, rattle and role!
far out !! You must live nr broomfield rd then. Are you chapelfields or earlsdon?

We lived in tile hill village.

Gotta go its now 5:30am and works a calling have a goodun
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:45 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.realholidays.com.au/cgi-b...0&id=402499909

Thanks for the replies regarding my flights, and car hire, next i suppose is the last piece in the jigsaw. The chateu, the place i shall lay me head for the period of my stay in the place i may call my home in the future?

Anyway, i know, you have lived their so any chance of some feedback on the accomodation aspect of this trip? Above is a place which interests me. I am not saying i intend to rent this, but some thing very similar. The cost seems about right, location good, ticks all my boxes!

Has anyone else rented this sort of thing from these people, is it a good idea, because i have no idea, not the sort of thing i have done before. Do you call them put a deposit down, arrive, pick up the keys, pick up some food, and enjoy?

I suppose what really worries me is firstly, spiders, snakes and insects, do these places get fumegated between each visitor, or do you have to do it yourself? I lay there last night in the pit just wondering whether i would be safe sleeping in a holiday let on ground floor level. Considering many other species of gods creatures may have lived there for along time? I do not want to get into the pit, only to be awaked by an Ozy spider nibbling at my toe?

Just wondering whether it may be better to rent a top floor flat, these things
do not like heights?

Anyway does this type of accomodation look about right for Mr Fork and Miss Knife. Bloody nervous about all this, flying half way around the world, then sleeping in a wooden hut, feel abit like Indiana Jones!
Have PM'd you guys!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, really, you dont need to worry! I guess it does seem like a bit of a joke to us that anyone would think of fumigating a self catering accommodation place - looks very nice BTW. Australia really is quite civilized actually. We tend to live with our insects and other natural wildlife - generally they dont bother us and we tend not to bother them. I can guarantee that after you have been here 2 days you wont give the wildlife another thought! (probably 2 hours actually!)
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:18 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stayz.com.au/ is the big owner holiday rental website.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:19 am
Banned

You must live nr broomfield rd then. Are you chapelfields or earlsdon?
Very near, i can nearly see the "Carling Cold" sign on the pull lever on the bar in the City Arms as i sit here a type. A lovely view, but a little early as it is only 9.30am!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to one of your questions, no a place doesn't get sprayed after each visitor. Places get sprayed once a year unless you feel the need to inhale more poisonous gases than is necessary. If a place has been sprayed properly you won't get much bother during that year. Saying that, if you leave doors and windows open cockroaches will fly though the gap avoiding the poison. If you are totally stressed by the thought then when you move in, set off a bomb and keep the cupboard stocked with Mortein.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:43 pm
Dan&Bex

danbex85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please dont be offended by the Yabbie crack, I find it bewildering that anyone with the notion of moving "kit and kaboodle" across the globe has prioritized their concerns, re a rental on the beach and the worry of a few insects.

QLD is sub tropical, we get insects, we get strange monkey noise making animals, called Kookaburras, we get crocs ( alledgedly ) .. we get insects you can only stare at and wonder.. would that bastard , kill me?

But to the best of my knowledge, no one on here has died from insect bite, being caught by a jelly fish, bit by a shark, or stung by a ray.. not eaten by a redback or nutted from above by a drop-bear.

So be serious, dont worry about fumigation, ffs this is australia, the land of dusty roads, croc dundee and wow sight n sound.

So how did u manage to get onto the subject of wow sight n sound from dusty roads and crocodile dundee??
made me laugh!