Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Last minute packing advice needed please!

Last minute packing advice needed please!

Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

ozchick will become famous soon enoughozchick will become famous soon enough
Default Last minute packing advice needed please!

Well the time has finally come around to be finalising the sorting of the house before the packers come on Monday - boy has this come around fast!!
Anyway I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

When packing kids toys, do I need to take the batteries out? I am assuming yes but thought I'd ask.

What about clothing. Do I need to pack these in suitcase or bags or do I leave them in my drawers etc for the packers to sort out? Do they leave them in the drawers to save space?

Disinfecting shoes, do I need to disinfect all of my shoes or just the ones that have been treked through mud etc, like boots and trainers? What is the best way to do this?

I'm now in panic mode as there is so much to be done in so little time... serves me right for leaving the mundane things to the last minute!!

Thanks, Jules
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Last minute packing advice needed please!

Hi I have every sympathy with you. our packers did everything I just put on one side things that taking in our cases or leaving behind. if you pack stuff up you might find it invalidates your insurance. Batteries come out as they might corrode in container. Hope you have better luck than us our company underestimated our stuff and rang us when at the airport just about to board plane to say wanted to charge us and extra 580 quid wont say who as stuff only just leaving uk and would like it to arrive in one piece if possible.
good luck
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:34 am
Just Joined

ozchick will become famous soon enoughozchick will become famous soon enough

OMG I hope that doesn't happen to us. Struggling to afford the cost as it is!!!

I have moved far too many times myself not to enjoy the luxury of having someone else do all the packing so I'm not planning on packing anything myself, more that I'm not sure what to do with my clothes do I just leave them in the drawers?? It feels weird to thing that someone else will be packing them, iykwim.

Good luck in Brisbane!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:58 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, take out the batteries and put them all together in a box so you can find them easily. No need to throw them away unless your removal company tells you otherwise.

I always pack clothes myself into the shippers cartons and leave the boxes open for them to seal and itemise on the inventory. Guess you could leave them in drawers though - depends on how sturdy your furniture is. Perhaps things like pillows, cushions etc. would be better - at least they wouldn't get squashed too much. But leave everything else to the packers, they're getting paid to do it after all

Whoops...forgot about the shoes. I just cleaned all mine so there wasn't a speck of dirt on them. AQIS don't require anything to be fumigated prior to shipping so I guess they won't be concerned about shoes being disinfected per se. My husband was stopped once coming into Oz for wearing dirty shoes, they were given a very close inspection but they let him through. He suspects they would have been more thorough if he'd come from a farm in the UK though. Very often its dirty hiking boots and golfing shoes that people get pulled aside for. Guess the same rigor is applied to shoes in shipping containers.

Last edited by Nerine; Dec 15th 2007 at 12:05 pm. Reason: forgot the shoes...
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozchick
What about clothing. Do I need to pack these in suitcase or bags or do I leave them in my drawers etc for the packers to sort out? Do they leave them in the drawers to save space?
I left my clothes in the drawers for the packers to put in boxes but they just checked each drawers for the inventory and then sealed them shut with packing tape, clothes in place. So no unpacking on the other end either
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:21 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

When packing kids toys, do I need to take the batteries out? I am assuming yes but thought I'd ask.
I didnt - didnt even think about it actually

If its going on the ship then leave it for the packers - they'll only undo what you've already done anyway

Disinfecting shoes, do I need to disinfect all of my shoes or just the ones that have been treked through mud etc, like boots and trainers? What is the best way to do this?
I just gave all of mine a really good wash and scrub

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Put a few cooking things in your suitcases to take with you, such as a wineopener and good cooks knives.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Make sure you bring a few adapters with you , as you will have to much to do ,to be worrying about changing plugs. We only brought one and it was a nightmare especially in the morning with hairdryers etc..

Good Luck
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

yeh we did that brought some adaptors a basic set of cuttlery,cheap kettle fron tesco (4 quid) basic tool set (for putting up any furniture) 4 pillows and 2 quilts with covers on can confirm what some have said about towels and sheets etc being quite expensive but if you shop around can get cheap just bought 4 great towels on offer in aldi for $40. plugs are chap any fairly easy to change just done most of ours. makes life a lot easier and helps early days stresses.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillysmum
yeh we did that brought some adaptors a basic set of cuttlery,cheap kettle fron tesco (4 quid) basic tool set (for putting up any furniture) 4 pillows and 2 quilts with covers on can confirm what some have said about towels and sheets etc being quite expensive but if you shop around can get cheap just bought 4 great towels on offer in aldi for $40. plugs are chap any fairly easy to change just done most of ours. makes life a lot easier and helps early days stresses.
Also reccomend bringing a couple of 4 plug extension leads saves having to change leads for computer/printer/mobile phone chargers and you only need to change 1 plug

Good Luck with the move

John
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked for a box when the shippers arrived so that I could pack my own underwear draw and clothes. They had no problem with that.

Mandy