Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:52 pm
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Never mind choosing between XP or Vista, do yourself a favour and bung Linux on it!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkargo
Never mind choosing between XP or Vista, do yourself a favour and bung Linux on it!
Unless you like Itunes, or video editing, or accounting software, or photoshop, or using a all-in-one scanner etc etc.

Sorry its a windows world!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the useful info, i currently have XP on my desktop at home whats vista, in know i'm probably way behind here!!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:13 pm
I'd rather be climbing

Originally Posted by cranston
Unless you like Itunes, or video editing, or accounting software, or photoshop, or using a all-in-one scanner etc etc.

Sorry its a windows world!
There are equivalents: iTunes runs under wine, video editing can be done with LiVES, accounting software I'm not sure about as I don't use any, but I use the Gimp instead of photoshop (it can drive a scanner, too). The options are a lot better these days than they used to be.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:03 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DrWho
Warranty would be my biggest concern... if you get one outside Oz you need to make sure that the warranty is good for over here... otherwise wait until you get here...
I wouldnt worry too much about the warranty, I bought a Sony in January from Tesco. I had a problam with the hard drive...bad sectors or something. The guy on the phone said if we "decide" you caused the fault there is a £180 admin charge, plus the charge for the new drive/fitting/reinstallation of Vista.... Probably mounting to as much as the lap top cost in the 1st place. Anyhow, new hard drive £50 and 20 mins of my time with a screwdriver.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:04 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mkargo
There are equivalents: iTunes runs under wine, video editing can be done with LiVES, accounting software I'm not sure about as I don't use any, but I use the Gimp instead of photoshop (it can drive a scanner, too). The options are a lot better these days than they used to be.
Do you have tunes working with Wine? I tried it briefely in Feb but with no luck. What Linux and what versions of the software?

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:02 pm
I'd rather be climbing

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Do you have tunes working with Wine? I tried it briefely in Feb but with no luck. What Linux and what versions of the software?

Cheers
Not personally, but a friend has it running on Ubuntu with a release of wine from a few months back.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

me & my daughter received our new dell laptops today & we luurve them, the webcam on them is great, i think intergrated is the way to go when your moving overseas, so much easier with video chatting and all that!

lisa
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Well i totally prefer xp but use it with office 07 which i think is so much better than 2003. Don't like linux for compatability issues but i do think tech wise it's a much better opertating system. I also realise that Windows is what the world uses so that is what i'm sticking to for now!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Your db on your site is down mate.
Thanks Hutch. We migrated to a new server at the tail end of last week and the data transfer didn't go too smoothly. Unfortunately a visit to the datacentre is needed and that being in London rules me out of the equation!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Thanks Hutch. We migrated to a new server at the tail end of last week and the data transfer didn't go too smoothly. Unfortunately a visit to the datacentre is needed and that being in London rules me out of the equation!
Hehe - no worries - out of interest, do you do any freelance db work?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:30 pm
mmmmmm duff

Originally Posted by Hutch
Hehe - no worries - out of interest, do you do any freelance db work?
I do.......
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:15 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I've just bought a toshiba lappy.Still not sure if its covered worldwide Suppose i'll find out that it isnt when it goes tits up in Aus

Lee
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I do.......
PM me your details mate - and links to any pertinent sites.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

One thing and its minor and of little relevance. Keyboards layouts in Aus are slightly different to UK ones. Still QWERTY but the shift and Alt keys are different.
Not a drama but takes some getting used when switching between the two!

I'd always wait and buy here - the range and price seems pretty much the same.

Also regarding the "windows" world. After using Windows since version 3.0 in 1991, I am now looking at Mac. Whatever next!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.