Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Am just wondering whether to get a laptop here before we go or when we get there? What the price difference and can you take them on the plane now? Thanks for replies, also anyone have any suggestions of what to buy, know more or less how to use them but not the comp terminology and what it means!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Laptops-would you buy here or there?

Ians and sam, i've read a few post on this recently and i don't think that there is much difference between UK, Singapour or Australia either price wise or spec wise but i am by no means a techy maybe a seach on here would be advisable
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:26 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Am just wondering whether to get a laptop here before we go or when we get there? What the price difference and can you take them on the plane now? Thanks for replies, also anyone have any suggestions of what to buy, know more or less how to use them but not the comp terminology and what it means!!
Warranty would be my biggest concern... if you get one outside Oz you need to make sure that the warranty is good for over here... otherwise wait until you get here...
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

hi,

i ve recently posted such a question, here is the link to the replies i received
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520007

i've just purchsed mine through dell, they had a spl offer on one with a 2mpixel webcam recently (i think its finished now though, but there will probably be another offer on soon). (by the way, the prices i quoted from dell on the other thread was just an example of a laptop i could find on all the dell sites, not the one i purchsed)

i decided to buy one now as we are still unsure when we're moving over to oz, trying to sell the house and that could take forever .

lisa
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:44 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on whether you want XP or Vista. XP not available in Australia on over the counter sales.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

not really up on the tech side, but our new one (which arrives tomorrow ) is vista, dont think dell do xp anymore? could be wrong though
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:02 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolylew
not really up on the tech side, but our new one (which arrives tomorrow ) is vista, dont think dell do xp anymore? could be wrong though

XP range is available in the UK through PC World, not in Australia, although you can get the program by mail order. Just tell them you need it for your business and they will install it. You can make up a business name on the spot and they won't care --- my OH did.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
XP range is available in the UK through PC World, not in Australia, although you can get the program by mail order. Just tell them you need it for your business and they will install it. You can make up a business name on the spot and they won't care --- my OH did.
Wot about Vista though, is that available in OZ??
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:45 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

You can specify XP instead of Vista with Dell in Australia...
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
Wot about Vista though, is that available in OZ??
Most shop-bought systems come with Vista installed - usually Vista Home Premium. If you buy a PC from a system builder you can still specify that you want XP on it - at least for a few more months (Microsoft are ending sales of XP in June). Vista's an appalling operating system and if you can get XP - do so.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

There's lots of good information on this subject in tthis thread, too.

Personally, I would wait if I were you.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
There's lots of good information on this subject in tthis thread, too.

Personally, I would wait if I were you.
Your db on your site is down mate.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by DrWho

You can specify XP instead of Vista with Dell in Australia...
Not what they advertise to tv.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Not what they advertise to tv.
Just had a look on their site and you can indeed specify XP. Funnily enough, they'll knock $29.70 off the price if you go for Vista Home Premium. Vista Ultimate is an extra $90.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

dell do a worldwide warranty so are a good option for someone moving overseas. we recently priced up whether it was better to buy a dell laptop in the UK or Oz and there is nothing much in it - BUT we found out that in the UK there is a dell outlet store which you can buy from at discounted prices (with the same warranties) - so we bought one in the UK. They basically sell brand new unused dell desktops/laptops at discounted prices - ones which were ordered by other people then the orders cancelled/changed. weblink below. there is also an oz outlet store but they have a much smaller selection

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...&~ck=betafrbsd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.