Laptop Info.

Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:27 am
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all
Default Laptop Info.

Hi All......

Please be patient as I am no computer boffin. We are arriving in Perth next Thursday, we would like to wireless enable our new laptop register it with a local ISP and also skype it at the same time. Is there any shops in Perth that can do this for us or any recommendations. I have removed the AOL software from the laptop. Thanks for any help.

Ewan
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: Laptop Info.

Originally Posted by Springbok
Hi All......

Please be patient as I am no computer boffin. We are arriving in Perth next Thursday, we would like to wireless enable our new laptop register it with a local ISP and also skype it at the same time. Is there any shops in Perth that can do this for us or any recommendations. I have removed the AOL software from the laptop. Thanks for any help.

Ewan
Where are you staying when you arrive? If you are in temp accomodation then you may have difficulty getting ADSL, although I think I read that some ISPs are now offering a kind of "pay as you go" package for ADSL.

Basically you will need to get a Wireless LAN Router that will connect into the phone socket and then broadcast the wireless LAN signal. If you laptop is wireless enabled (i.e. has an inbuilt wireless capability) you should just be able to connect to the wireless LAN when it is all set up (although it is important to set up the wireless security when configuring you wireless LAN router to insure that no one else can acces your home network. If you laptop is not wirless enabled you will need to buy either a PCMCIA card or USB card to provide the wireless capability.

Once you are up and running you can log onto Skype and register etc

Sorry if this sounds complicated, in reality it is not that bad....not sure if there is anyone who would come and set it all up for you.

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:51 pm
I'd rather be Buzz!!

SylvieKid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All......

Ewan
Hi mate, if you're looking for broadband/ISP's then perhaps try this website.....

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

All the best,
Andy
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

There's also the option of wireless broadband using a card that treats your laptop like a mobile phone so you have a net connection wherever there is coverage. I don't know anyone who uses it, but it's heavily advertised over here (hums: I've been everywhere man ,,,)
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:55 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All......

Ewan
Mate,

Its a doddle.....

Just register with an Aussie ISP that can provide you with broadband (call them, they'll tell you if your eligible in your area). They'll send you a wireless router and some other bits n bobs and will provide a walk through guide to setting it all up. If you have problems, call their tech support people.

As for Skype, download it from their website and follow the online instructions: www.skype.com

It really aint all that bad.......if all else fails, message me and Ill talk you through it!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
There's also the option of wireless broadband using a card that treats your laptop like a mobile phone so you have a net connection wherever there is coverage. I don't know anyone who uses it, but it's heavily advertised over here (hums: I've been everywhere man ,,,)
Yep, my boyfriend has this from Telstra as he has 2 internet businesses that always seem to have problems when we are on holiday so now he can keep track of them just about wherever we are

The only problem is it is quite expensive and they tie you in to a lengthy contract.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ

Thanks, I've now got that song in my head and it won't go away

Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:09 pm
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

Hi All..........

Thanks for that. I'll give the contacting an ISP company a go and getting a broadband kit off them. Then I will contact skype and try and set it up. Hold your breath though as I will probably be back. Trouble is we are landing in Perth and planning to travel overland to Melbourne on a 3 week adventure. I suppose without an fixed address there is no hope of getting the thing set up. That is why I wondered if a company could do it. Thanks very much for the help so far, we appreciate it. Cheers for now........

Ewan
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:32 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All..........

Thanks for that. I'll give the contacting an ISP company a go and getting a broadband kit off them. Then I will contact skype and try and set it up. Hold your breath though as I will probably be back. Trouble is we are landing in Perth and planning to travel overland to Melbourne on a 3 week adventure. I suppose without an fixed address there is no hope of getting the thing set up. That is why I wondered if a company could do it. Thanks very much for the help so far, we appreciate it. Cheers for now........

Ewan
If you're gonna be travelling about with no fixed abode, there are a couple of options. The first is the GPRS modem card, that works like a mobile phone. You just slot it into the side of your lapdog and it will work anywhere there is network coverage (pricey though). The 2nd option is to use wireless 'hotspots' as they are known. Usually found in hotels, airports and coffee shops. You dont need an account, you just walk in, turn your lappie on and ask it to search for a wireless network (easier than it sounds). It will ask for credit card details and then bill you accordingly depending on how long you use, usually by the hour. Again this can be expensive.

I'm guessing by your posts and lack of IT knowledge (no offense meant) that you are hoping to be able to hook up to the internet in the middle of the Nullarbor or something? I'll be honest, unless you want to fork out thousands for satellite internet or something similar, that probably aint gonna happen.

Good luck!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Feb 8th 2007 at 3:35 pm.