Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken next to nothing?

Anyone taken next to nothing?

Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:40 am
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice
Default Anyone taken next to nothing?

When people move to Oz, some take lots of money (equity from houses, cars etc) but is there anyone out there who has taken next to nothing? This is assuming you didn't have a job waiting for you.

How did you manage? What did you do?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:14 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone taken next to nothing?

That'll be us then We arrived in October with literally our last wages but were moving in with family which helps. Neither of us had a job to come to but because ALL hubbies family are now here (the outlaws came out with us!!) we knew if push came to shove we would manage.
Dean started work the week before Xmas and we had $72 left in the bank!!
Since then although I haven't got a job yet we have managed to save a little and are proud of the fact that we didn't have to ask any of the family for a hand out and have managed to pay our way.
It can be done if you have the back up at this end, I would never recommend anyone to attempt it on their own (without friends or family to 'fall back on' if needs be).
We have been very lucky and would NEVER have considered coming out with so little money had the family not been here.

Loz x
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:25 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
That'll be us then We arrived in October with literally our last wages but were moving in with family which helps. Neither of us had a job to come to but because ALL hubbies family are now here (the outlaws came out with us!!) we knew if push came to shove we would manage.
Since then although I haven't got a job yet we have managed to save a little and are proud of the fact that we didn't have to ask any of the family for a hand out and have managed to pay our way.
It can be done if you have the back up at this end, I would never recommend anyone to attempt it on their own (without friends or family to 'fall back on' if needs be).
We have been very lucky and would NEVER have considered coming out with so little money had the family not been here.

Loz x
We came here with our last wage, that's all (me, hubby and daughter) No savings, no house to sell, no nothing. The money we did have bought us a car for $1000 and that was that, but atleast that enabled us to be able to travel to interviews and get work. My husbands family also live out here and we did stay with his mum for the first 9 months we were here. It wasn't for nothing, we had to pay our way and we didn't ask for anything although we know if we'd of needed someone would've helped us out.
The 9 months were easily the hardest of my life, but look at us now... we own our own home, something which wouldn't of happened in England and I feel 9 months of struggling was well worth being able to move into our very own place. We don't have fantastically paid jobs but it is certainly enough to live on, to think this time last year I was living with my MIL is like a distant memory.
So anyone reading this worrying that 'how can we do it with no savings', don't worry about it, just believe you can do it, that's what worked for us.
Marie
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:12 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rkh001
When people move to Oz, some take lots of money (equity from houses, cars etc) but is there anyone out there who has taken next to nothing? This is assuming you didn't have a job waiting for you.

My baggage allowance was swallowed by 2 guitars and my wallet by 20K (pounds) debt.

I managed by having an understanding future wife.

I went through a period of my life (partly choice and partly necessity) where I whittled all my possessions down to what really mattered to me and I can recommend that process to anyone.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
My baggage allowance was swallowed by 2 guitars and my wallet by 20K (pounds) debt.

I managed by having an understanding future wife.

I went through a period of my life (partly choice and partly necessity) where I whittled all my possessions down to what really mattered to me and I can recommend that process to anyone.

Yes, I agree. I did that too, and came with just two suitcases, a piece of hand luggage and a laptop...

That sort of thing really helps to focus your mind on what's important in your life. So I made damn sure that my Xbox came with me...

S
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I agree. I did that too, and came with just two suitcases, a piece of hand luggage and a laptop...

That sort of thing really helps to focus your mind on what's important in your life. So I made damn sure that my Xbox came with me...

S
Heh, yup, if it comes down to basic foodstuffs or my guitar then pass me the pick 'cos I can sing for my supper
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:24 am
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice

I guess if you have someone that you can call on (even if you don't), it helps.

But what happens if you land in Oz, go to a hotel and then....
start looking for a job - take anything that comes along or hang out for something you'd like (obviously wages would be lower)?
get to an internet cafe and start looking to make contact with other BE's?

And it is already all starting to cost you money?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if you have someone that you can call on (even if you don't), it helps.

But what happens if you land in Oz, go to a hotel and then....
start looking for a job - take anything that comes along or hang out for something you'd like (obviously wages would be lower)?
get to an internet cafe and start looking to make contact with other BE's?

And it is already all starting to cost you money?
My husband is going as a chef but said he will try any job purely to get in employment.

Same goes for me.

I would rather be in paid work, not necessarily my dream job, but something that pays the bills, rather than sitting at home waiting for the 'right job'.

Far better to be in employment in my opinion.

I also think it would pay to have an up to date resume saved that you can email out during your time in a cybercafe.

And equally divide your time between that and cold calling for jobs, looking in papers. Basically if you dont have the luxury of taking time out to settle in, then you cant afford to stand still.

If you are not applying online, you need to be dropping your resume into employers, if you are not doing that, then phoning jobs/employers from local paper.

I am quite happy to do a days voluntary work a week, just to make contacts - if I have to.

Good luck anyway.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:26 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

It is turning into a very liberating experience for me, we are flying next Saturday and are taking two suitcases each and laptops. It is a bit scary, all my possesions being flogged off for next to nothing and we are not going to have much cash to furnish an apartment when we get there.

We are planning a trip to Ikea to get the cheapest bed, sofa and table & chairs on our first day there and that will be us until we start getting bits and bobs together in time.

Like i said we do not fly till next Saturday but my wife has already managed to sell just about everything in the house and it seems that most of it will be collected tomorrow. So for the next week we have no bed, no couch, no table, i have no desk and no chairs. How fun does that sound???
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loz

Loz x

Good on you! How are you doing (I assume you are the same Loz from the Wakefield meet). Well done, hopefully we will be there very soon.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

jonx8814 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking of going to oz because my uncle has offered me a job ,$50k which is about average I think.

Problem is I still have 2k overdraft and I can't decide whether to pay it off, build up some funds beforehand etc or just go for it and repay from abroad. I've been contracting but have found it hard to find a good fulltime position.

I'm thinking of just packing my backpack and selling off/giving away my few possessions (bike/PC/guitar) ... It's quite tempting..
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonx8814
I'm thinking of going to oz because my uncle has offered me a job ,$50k which is about average I think.

Problem is I still have 2k overdraft and I can't decide whether to pay it off, build up some funds beforehand etc or just go for it and repay from abroad. I've been contracting but have found it hard to find a good fulltime position.

I'm thinking of just packing my backpack and selling off/giving away my few possessions (bike/PC/guitar) ... It's quite tempting..
Good for you! If you have the funds available, I think that it would be a good idea to pay it off before you leave (clean slate) as you may incur further costs when trying to pay from abroad. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
You see! with a sense of humour, you can achieve anything!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:46 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's any consolation guys - we are heading out in September with the shirts on our backs (my XBox is coming too!), the laptop and a couple of suitcases each. All this and about £5-7K in cash.

We have planned this for years, it can be done.........lots of people on here have already done it!

PMA my friend, PMA!

Best of luck
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

happygolucky121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest for those coming with hardly anything how many of you have children??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.