laid back OZ

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: laid back OZ

Originally posted by Ulujain

Maybe it's you that's parochial, narrow-minded, racist and whatever.
I do hope so.

It would make a great change to think that an Aussie is on the receiving end of parochial, narrow-minded, racist behaviour. Who knows, that Aussie might even learn something.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

I think that it's a real shame that just because different people have different experiences and views of a country that they feel it is necessary to tell another person that they are wrong!

Surely it is the very fact that everybody is different that makes it so important for us to hear all points of view? Why insult someone for it?

I am yet to make the move to Oz. I have read all I can, researched all I can and am going with as open a mind as I can. I don't know if it will work out for me and my family but I will go there with the intention of making a damn good go of it. If it doesn't work? Hell, at least we will have tried something different instead of sitting around wondering 'what if'. If it works? Fantastic, we aren't content as we are at present for a multitude of big and small reasons so we will know we did the right thing.

Please keep posting good and bad views. It is very easy to look at the dream and get carried away, hearing that the reality is not like that for many people keeps you grounded but it certainly won't put us off! Keep the posts coming but please, grow up and lay off with the personal insults, the rest of us don't need to hear it.

Lou
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:36 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kong
Still at least in UK I wont die of boredom through BBQs and summer holidays on the gold coast.
I'll raise a beer to you sitting at my BBQ in Brisbane next month - sun shining and good company, pity you'll miss all that in the UK. Oh well, it takes all sorts in this life !!!

A toast to and to everyone going to and in Oz !

See ya next month
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:37 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Kong

Were you born to wind everyone up?

Chris
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kong
Moving to Australia to escape the rat race/long hours/low pay in UK??

May have to think again, unless you are retiring here(all the place is fit for judging by this report)

All work, no pay for overtime brigade
By Sarah Crichton and Brigid Delaney
December 16 2002

Almost half of all full-time working Australians do unpaid overtime each week and most get no perks in return, a survey has found.

The latest Job Futures/Saulwick Employee Sentiment Survey of 1000 adults in the workforce or actively seeking work shows 44 per cent of full-time workers say they normally work unpaid overtime each week, and 62 per cent of those say they get no perks or rewards in lieu of overtime pay.

The average weekly amount of unpaid overtime across the full-time workforce is now 8.4 hours, while the mean amount of unpaid overtime across the entire workforce is up from 7.3 to 7.5 hours - nearly one additional day - in the latest survey.

While 23 per cent of employees work between one and two hours overtime, 20 per cent work between five and six hours a week, and 33 per cent of respondents said they work more than 10 hours.

Unpaid overtime is more than twice as prevalent among white-collar workers than blue-collar, and women may be slightly more likely than men to work it.

The survey question regarding unpaid overtime was prompted by employer suggestions that people were receiving other perks and rewards for their overtime, said Robert Tickner, CEO of Job Futures, a community-based employment service provider which is one of the largest contractors in the Federal Government's Job Network.

Australian Council of Trade Unions spokesman Jeremy Vermeesch said the findings were consistent with ACTU research conducted for its Industrial Relations Commission reasonable hours of work test case.

The commission enshrined in July the right of workers to refuse to work unreasonable overtime on a number of grounds, including family responsibility, a clause which was now being widely adopted in enterprise agreements and awards across a range of industries, Mr Vermeesch said.

"The commission's findings were conservative but even they held that 17.7 per cent of employees regularly worked unpaid overtime.

"We think there's evidence from various industry-wide surveys which reflect much higher numbers - for example the finance industry alone, where around a million hours of overtime is worked a week, a large proportion of which we believe is unpaid."

That amount was roughly equivalent to the number of full-time jobs wiped from banks in the last five years and supported a picture of sustained and intensified work through unpaid overtime, longer hours and increased workloads, he said.

The survey, which has a 3.16 per cent margin of error, found time off in lieu is the most common form of reward among the 38 per cent of full-timers who say they get some benefit from working unpaid overtime.

Men are no more likely than women to be rewarded for unpaid overtime even though on average they do more hours a week of it - 8.4 compared with 7.0.

However, among those who say they are rewarded for overtime, men are more likely than women to get a bonus - 20 per cent of men listed a bonus as their reward for overtime, compared with 14 per cent of women.

Women are more likely to get time off in lieu: 55 per cent compared with 36 per cent of rewarded men.

Social researcher Irving Saulwick said the survey did not bear out employers' claims that employees were otherwise materially rewarded.

"While there are some other factors at play - 4 per cent say they get personal satisfaction, another 4 per cent say respect or recognition from management - this shows a significant portion of the workforce are now doing substantial overtime without any tangible or intangible reward."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...656300833.html

D'ya think were all blue/white collar workers you knobhead!!

Some of us are working our arses off here, Self Employed, Working 12+ hours a day , so to work 40/50 hours a week is a small price to pay when I know I can chill out with my family in my pool when i get home. Ive just come in from the pub with the misses and two kids cause it started to piss it down in the beer garden, great innit, July and all that so to read shite like what you put up makes me a little angry

Its because of tits like you that Brits are hated everywhere you whinging prick!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:17 pm
kong

Originally posted by gwrees
D'ya think were all blue/white collar workers you knobhead!!

Some of us are working our arses off here, Self Employed, Working 12+ hours a day , so to work 40/50 hours a week is a small price to pay when I know I can chill out with my family in my pool when i get home. Ive just come in from the pub with the misses and two kids cause it started to piss it down in the beer garden, great innit, July and all that so to read shite like what you put up makes me a little angry

Its because of tits like you that Brits are hated everywhere you whinging prick!
Ok lets get a few things straight.

It rains in Oz a lot in summer

Most pubs have no beer garden and are pants anyway

Tradesmen work as many (though usually more) hours as their UK cousins, for half the money.

No need for personal insults, if you cannot come up with a valid reply, then I suggest you stay in the play pen with your toys.

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:35 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Kong - have you a chip on your shoulder about Oz ? why spoil peoples dreams for your own pleasure ?

We are all looking forward to going to Oz, and yes we know it rains, but it also has much more sunshine than UK and who cares in the pubs don't have beer gardens when you can relax on the patio at home with a few beers and enjoy the company of other ex-pat migrants and locals.

You need to get a life and stop whinging - crawl back into the hole you came from and give us a break.

Here's to Brisbane next month !
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 7:09 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

who cares in the pubs don't have beer gardens when you can relax on the patio at home with a few beers and enjoy the company of other ex-pat migrants and locals.
I like this idea

Brisbane? Might join you for a drink then

-----------

from the pub with the misses and two kids cause it started to piss it down in the beer garden, great innit, July
I know what you feel :scared: Had to go to work this morning it was a lovely bright morning so i took a white t-shirt and trousers... 1 hours later was p**** down while i was walking by the canal great innit? Nice summer weather :scared: