Is it not laid back
34.44%
I dont care
11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Laid back Australia

Old May 9th 2008, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laid back Australia

Most of the Brits I know in Perth work their friggin' arses off, 6 sometimes 7 days a week. It's not laid back IMO.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:27 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Its more the quality of life we have here rather than whether its laid back or not.

You still have to live day to day and do all the same everyday boring things you did in the UK, like shopping, working, cleaning, ironing etc.

But its how we spend our spare time that’s important to us.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:46 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Its more the quality of life we have here rather than whether its laid back or not.

You still have to live day to day and do all the same everyday boring things you did in the UK, like shopping, working, cleaning, ironing etc.

But its how we spend our spare time that’s important to us.
Really well put! In addition I feel that the warm temperatures and lots and lots of sunshine make us feel better.

The rush hour traffic jams on the freeway don't affect us - we take the train. Husband works about two hours less a day compared to UK and never at weekends. We absolutely loved the summer here. And this week the temperatures have been between 22-26 degrees - definitely not like a British November

Don't understand the people who hate Perth or find it boring - I wouldn't want to live in Melbourne if you paid me - but each to their own.

For us, life *is* more laid back compared to the UK, but that's just our situation; I don't think you can generalise.

Gina
Old May 9th 2008, 2:52 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I voted it is more laid back. That's despite us having to travel more to do our day-to-day tasks. I think it is more to do with the attitude of the people and the focus on family life here.

(Sometimes I think things are just too laid back here!)
Old May 9th 2008, 2:56 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

definitely much more laid back here....no question about it.
Old May 9th 2008, 3:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Far more laid back for us. Not particularly why we moved, we as a family were laid back in the UK but here all around us are as well whereas we were surrounded by stressed out people before
Old May 9th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

I don't see how you can generalise as to whether a country is laid back or not ....thats something that is different between individuals and got nothing to do with where they live or are from . I know plenty of people back in the Uk who are laid back and plenty of people in Oz who aren't.

Can't see why people would say they happened to have a shorter commuting time in Oz and using that as an example of Australia being laid back..........surely that means you just live nearer to work than you used to in the UK.
Old May 9th 2008, 4:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_woodsy
I don't see how you can generalise as to whether a country is laid back or not ....thats something that is different between individuals and got nothing to do with where they live or are from . I know plenty of people back in the Uk who are laid back and plenty of people in Oz who aren't.

Can't see why people would say they happened to have a shorter commuting time in Oz and using that as an example of Australia being laid back..........surely that means you just live nearer to work than you used to in the UK.
Agreed. My quotes regarding commuting times related more to the OPs comments about quality of life rather than it being laid back.
Old May 9th 2008, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. 'Laid back Australia' and quality of life are 2 completely different things. Like I said before, I don't think Aussies are laid back but the quality of life here is superb.
Old May 9th 2008, 5:30 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I work longer hours and commute longer times but that isn't the same thing as not being laid back.

The people I work with, even the GM's, are all really nice pleasant people and I am allowed to leave early / "work from home" as needs be. Most people I worked with in the UK were uptight, arrogant, snobbish backstabbers. I am not put under undue pressure in this company and get credit where I have earnt it. In the UK I burnt out twice trying to achieve impossible targets for bosses who stole my work and presented as their own.

Therefore the people I deal with are laid back and therefore so am I.
Old May 9th 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Nope, not laid back.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Very laid back in our neck of the woods
Old May 9th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Its the consequence of a shorter commute that makes the difference. In Melbourne I'm able to live closer to the city and therefore spend considerably less time on a train - and as a result I have more time, I see my family every day, and I'm much less stressed. I'm happier and more laid back because of this.
Old May 9th 2008, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly. 'Laid back Australia' and quality of life are 2 completely different things. Like I said before, I don't think Aussies are laid back but the quality of life here is superb.
Think the pace of life is slower which again might be different from laid back.

I'd say everything here in Melbourne is slower than London.

Awaits endless barrage of "You can say that again".

Life in a village 40k from Melbourne is probably like parts of the W Country or Scotland. But 3m people give you the best of both worlds.
Old May 9th 2008, 8:58 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Think the pace of life is slower which again might be different from laid back.

I'd say everything here in Melbourne is slower than London.

Awaits endless barrage of "You can say that again".

Life in a village 40k from Melbourne is probably like parts of the W Country or Scotland. But 3m people give you the best of both worlds.
Brisbane way more laid back and definate touch of the manyana's with most things even work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.