Is it not laid back
34.44%
I dont care
11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Laid back Australia

Old May 8th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Laid back Australia

I constantly read about "Laid back Australian lifestyle". How many people on here agree with that?
Personally I think it is a crock of sh*te. If you think finishing work at 3.30PM is great, what about the start time of 0630? If you work in Perth CBD how about the tail backs on the Mitchell and Kwinana freeways going to and from work? What about the normally expected unpaid extended working hours? Lack of shopping hours...Saturday morning means one parent takes the kids to Aus Kick, the other goes to the supermarket.
Living in Perth does not give a better quality of life...only a different type of life. For all you potential immigrants, you may think the weather tops it all...but you will be unpleasantly surprised. Spring brings out the flys..and by god you will get pissed of with them. Summer can and will get far to hot. Autumn and Winter and more like British weather, although a bit sunnier between the rain.

I have been here for a few years now and grown accustomed to the ways of WA, but really it's not a "laid back lifestyle". If anyone believe's it is, I would like to know where they lived before this.

Last edited by Loch Lomond; May 8th 2008 at 3:56 pm.
Old May 8th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laid back Australia

Certainly much more laid back in Melbourne. Living in a Hampshire village and working in London I had an almost 4 hour round trip commute. Packed trains, never on time and 10 hour days in the office. Not the most active or outdoor life due to the weather.

In Melbourne I have a 35 minute drive along the coast. Beats the hell out of the M25 or A10 or being stuck night after night courtesy of SWT (oh and my season ticket was £5,000 a year).

Flies ? Pain in the arse for a 6 week period. Too hot ? Probably about 10 days a year are OTT, but the air con and pool makes it bearable.

The weather means we walk, play tennis, swim, golf and cycle so much more as a family. Instead of slumped in front of the TV at 6pm we can go to the beach. We also have far more social dinners with friends - arranging a barbie is nice and easy when you can rely on the weather and the kids can play outside.

That to me makes it a much nicer lifestyle.

I guess much depends on where you live, where you came from and your lifestyle and outlook here. It's certainly not nirvana but it's also certainly not the crock of sh**te you suggest.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

IMO, perth was a right disappointment, would never live there.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

So move away from Perth....

Our lifestyle here is way better than in the UK.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:49 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Laid back Australia

My life in Melbourne is considerably more laid back than what you are describing.

I still cannot understand the fascination for English people with Perth.

Buzzy
Old May 8th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry: I believe in the secret ballot. Can't enter this poll.
Old May 8th 2008, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My life in Melbourne is considerably more laid back than what you are describing.

I still cannot understand the fascination for English people with Perth.

Buzzy
I think its about sunshine, being somewhere remote and perhaps feeling further away from the UK.

Good luck to the people that love the place, is my attitude.

I find the space here makes me feel laid back in comparison with the UK.
Old May 8th 2008, 10:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from a small town in the Cotswolds to a small town in South Coast, NSW. It's definitely more laid-back here. In the UK the game of one-upmanship was alive and well - it was all about who could could have the best house, car, double glazing, patio, conservatory etc etc. Half your life in the UK was about mitigating the effects of chronic over-crowding on the roads, which had an impact on everything. In fact I think the insane traffic density is one of the biggest reasons why my life is more laid back here ...
Old May 8th 2008, 10:46 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I constantly read about "Laid back Australian lifestyle". How many people on here agree with that?
Personally I think it is a crock of sh*te. If you think finishing work at 3.30PM is great, what about the start time of 0630? If you work in Perth CBD how about the tail backs on the Mitchell and Kwinana freeways going to and from work? What about the normally expected unpaid extended working hours? Lack of shopping hours...Saturday morning means one parent takes the kids to Aus Kick, the other goes to the supermarket.
Living in Perth does not give a better quality of life...only a different type of life. For all you potential immigrants, you may think the weather tops it all...but you will be unpleasantly surprised. Spring brings out the flys..and by god you will get pissed of with them. Summer can and will get far to hot. Autumn and Winter and more like British weather, although a bit sunnier between the rain.

I have been here for a few years now and grown accustomed to the ways of WA, but really it's not a "laid back lifestyle". If anyone believe's it is, I would like to know where they lived before this.
I understand where you are going with this post but perhaps would have worded it differently.

Some individuals do emigrate with the 'endless holiday' mentality. In truth most of us have to work, there is a long hours working culture. Many of us use public transport, it is cheaper but just as shite as home. Food is not cheap but eating out is generally cheaper than at home. It can be difficult to make friends with Australians, guess what, Australians have not been waiting around the airport on the offchance that you the immigrant gets off the plane. Ironing still happens, food shopping remains a pain etc etc etc.

On the other hand, I have some terrific Ozzie mates who have been extremely caring to me. My work is not ideal but I feel that there is real opportunity here. I love being able to invite people around. I love the being included culture. I love the fact I can be in nature reserves or the beach or a craft market or some sporting activity any weekend.

Is it laid back? I think it can be at the pace you want it to be.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:13 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in a small Cambridgeshire village before I moved to Perth. Not a bad area, not a brilliant area. I worked full time and my husband worked in London because that is where his work was, either that or away from home in Norway, US or elsewhere - but not local. Left house at 6am, got to work at 7.45. 10 hour day at least, leave work around 6.15pm, walked through the door at home 8pm at the earliest. Knackered at weekends, didn't see kids during the week. Here in Perth, leaves house at 6.25, at desk by 7.15. 10 hour day, leave work 5.15pm, home by just gone 6pm. Train clean, ontime, reasonably priced instead of the crap, expensive service provided by WAGN from Kings Cross. All these things mean that we only have 1 car, don't have 500 quid a month for his travelling including parking at the station. I am in the very fortunate position because of this reduced expenditure and generally our outgoings being about the same that I can stay home and not work.

Some of the things you complain about are subjective. The rest of the things you mention may just be minor irritants to some, clearly huge ones for others.

In short, Perth gives MY family a much better quality of life.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by laguna33p
IMO, perth was a right disappointment, would never live there.
I would never live in Perth either. We're in Melbourne and I find it the best city in this country. I sometimes wonder if people would have stayed in Oz if they'd not have lived in Perth. It's like a country on its own!
Old May 8th 2008, 11:22 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Laid back...I'm that laid back i'm nearly friggin horizontal...bloody luv it

On the plus side 1 o'clock finish on Fridays...
Old May 8th 2008, 11:34 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

For us, employment here is a hell of a lot less laid back, lol with more paperwork than gossip these days!!

But overall for us the balance is there, as weekends feel a lot more relaxed and are beaut Aussie mates are noticeably more laid back.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:42 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

all i can say is......
we are a lot happier here than we were in Glasgow!
Old May 9th 2008, 12:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agree that laid back Australia is a crock of shite. Most Aussies are uptight, miserable and constantly bitching.
Disagee that Perth does not give a better quality of life. My quality of life here is superb. For me, the combination of income/lifestyle is the best available anywhere on the globe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.