Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Old May 13th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future
Default Re: LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think you are over dramatising the removal of LAHFA and the effect it will have on Australia. It will go unnoticed. I'd be very surprised if an equivelent scheme existed for you in Indonesia
Fine, no worries! Job in Indonesia is site based with a negotiated amount net in my bank per day worked, plain and simple - the local tax laws etc. will be of no interest to me. Haven't got the job yet though!
Old May 13th 2012, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cubeonly
I guess it's no different, and reinforces my view of Australia - I think the place sucks (because of its nanny government regime). Normal folk and the place itself are great though.
So the place is great and sucks in the same paragraph. You've really gone beyond seeing all rational now haven't you?
Old May 13th 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beoz
So the place is great and sucks in the same paragraph. You've really gone beyond seeing all rational now haven't you?
The government/nanny state regime sucks. The place itself and the people I've met are great.
Old May 13th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Your on $400,000 dollars and moaning over the loss of 12k pounds?
Old May 13th 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cubeonly
The government/nanny state regime sucks. The place itself and the people I've met are great.
I've been here a couple months and it doesn't seem much worse vs the UK. The only difference I notice is strange incentives (as an American anyway) giving handouts for example to family with both parents working to help with childcare, but not helping a single income family at all that elects to not have the latest TV or bigger home and wants a parent at home instead. Beyond that and the typical handouts to the middle class to buy votes I don't see a big difference - same stuff in the UK with Labour moaning about wanting to print more money instead of paying the bills. What is the big difference you see?
Old May 13th 2012, 10:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
And again, a few years ago the new Labor government changed the means-tested thresholds for many benefits when announcing their first budget in May, most changes effective from 1st July that same year. It only gave people a few weeks notice that they were losing benefits they'd been getting for years. How is that different? Isn't it the nature of politics?
Doesn't make it right though does it?

Look, aside from my p!ssed-off ness (not a word but not sure how else to put it!!) with LAFHA, I would say to anybody thinking of coming to Australia to beware not just the governments swings to and fro with policy's, taxes and infrastructure, but the sheer apathy of Australian voters to actually do anything about it. I understand why, most people think 'stuff it, I'm ok and I'll just pop off down to the beach later or at the weekend'.
This is not my observation by the way, its a general consensus of my Australian colleagues and I agree with them.
I do like being here, my family likes being here and I will try my best to stay, but the federal and state governments here are a complete joke. Its like reading about your local village council!!!
Old May 13th 2012, 10:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Its not the money he was complaining about, it was the principle of the loss notice and how it affects others. He quite clearly stated that as a single person he has easy choices to make to change, he also said that he empathises with those who have families who may not have easy choices to make.
Old May 13th 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
the federal and state governments here are a complete joke. Its like reading about your local village council!!!
You're preaching to the converted here Paddy!
Old May 13th 2012, 10:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

You're preaching to the converted here Paddy!
lol......didn't think I'd get much arguments about that statement!!
Old May 13th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Money is money, me old fruit
Old May 13th 2012, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Yes, that would only be fair as they pay taxes the same as everybody else. Bear in mind that a lot of those benefits are means-tested or only apply to 2-working parents family. If this was implemented though, same as PRs and citizens, temporary residents would not get the chilcare rebate for example if one parent was a stay-at-home parent.

Citizens and PRs don't all get handouts and some temporary residents on here seem to think that we all live on the plentiful benefits. Not so. Before I went back to work, we got no childcare relief, whether we were on a 457 or a PR visa.

Having been on both side of the fence, I do think that temporary residents should be entitled to some benefits since they pay their taxes. But I also believe the LAFHA was abused by too many to not be tightened and I am glad to see it go. Shame the government is not making a gesture towards those with families by giving them some benefits though.

I agree with those that say that the changes are too drastic too quickly but maybe people should have heeded the November warning rather than think it would never happen.
Great quote I completely support, thanks for posting!

In your last paragraph "people" includes companies/agencies! My company and agency refused to do anything until they "know what the changes will be", i.e. they took the November stuff as consultative only. Now we are starting to hear from official circles that the November consultative publications etc. should have been acted on by the companies/agencies. Very poor of the government. These days, I don't trust any government - labour, conservative, whatever - they all seem to be out to screw the population over - I would like to see a government come up with a radically new economic model - one not based on the old regime of taxes etc.

Last edited by cubeonly; May 13th 2012 at 11:33 am.
Old May 13th 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ginstwin
My sons lease was renewed in late september . So he will be massively underwater for 3 months.

If a years notice was given thats fair enough but it really wasn't.
No it wasn't; the notice was given on 8 May.
Old May 13th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rld1177
I've been here a couple months and it doesn't seem much worse vs the UK. The only difference I notice is strange incentives (as an American anyway) giving handouts for example to family with both parents working to help with childcare, but not helping a single income family at all that elects to not have the latest TV or bigger home and wants a parent at home instead. Beyond that and the typical handouts to the middle class to buy votes I don't see a big difference - same stuff in the UK with Labour moaning about wanting to print more money instead of paying the bills. What is the big difference you see?
Yes I agree.

For me personally I try to work elsewhere from UK/Europe/US for tax reasons!
Old May 13th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Doesn't make it right though does it?

Look, aside from my p!ssed-off ness (not a word but not sure how else to put it!!) with LAFHA, I would say to anybody thinking of coming to Australia to beware not just the governments swings to and fro with policy's, taxes and infrastructure, but the sheer apathy of Australian voters to actually do anything about it. I understand why, most people think 'stuff it, I'm ok and I'll just pop off down to the beach later or at the weekend'.
This is not my observation by the way, its a general consensus of my Australian colleagues and I agree with them.
I do like being here, my family likes being here and I will try my best to stay, but the federal and state governments here are a complete joke. Its like reading about your local village council!!!
Yes well put I completely agree/support your post.
Old May 13th 2012, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Its not the money he was complaining about, it was the principle of the loss notice and how it affects others. He quite clearly stated that as a single person he has easy choices to make to change, he also said that he empathises with those who have families who may not have easy choices to make.

Exactly!

BTW, 12K x 5 years contract length = GBP 60K; that's a lovely car or a good deposit on a home or an additional gift to my sister whose losing her battle against bloody nasty sodding cancer. And further BTW I currently spend more on my sister than I do on myself. Sorry to mention the sister thing and get emotional, but some people on this site have their heads so far up their own arses they need to hear a home truth or two.

Last edited by cubeonly; May 13th 2012 at 11:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.