Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Old May 13th 2012, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Originally Posted by ginstwin
i know quite a few 457 people whose salaries are between 55k and 65k , lafha was the persuading factor.
If they were earning less than this abroad then they are still on a winner regardless of LAHFA. If the company used LAHFA as a "salary top up" then they need to approach their company and do something about it.
Old May 13th 2012, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmthor - mackay
ummm but LAFHA was brought in by the government so why wouldn't employers use it ?? They would be absolutely nuts not to, they would be putting themselves at a distinct disadvantage in the market if they didnt.

The point is not clear because what you are wanting is not reality. In reality we do get tax breaks whether you personally like it or not is irrelevant.

The fact is what they have done and in the time frame done it will cause people to suffer and that is wrong.

if MR swan wanted an extra 15% out of your pay packet in july how would you feel?
He is .... he's taking my medicare levy.

The point is LAHFA is not for employers use. It's a tax break for employees. Employers endorse its use by stating the employee is in Australia on a temporary basis. It is in place for the benefit of the employee not the employer
Old May 13th 2012, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmthor - mackay
ummm but LAFHA was brought in by the government so why wouldn't employers use it ?? They would be absolutely nuts not to, they would be putting themselves at a distinct disadvantage in the market if they didnt.

The point is not clear because what you are wanting is not reality. In reality we do get tax breaks whether you personally like it or not is irrelevant.

The fact is what they have done and in the time frame done it will cause people to suffer and that is wrong.

if MR swan wanted an extra 15% out of your pay packet in july how would you feel?
I agree that a company was bound to take advantage of rules that were not properly set out or implemented. However now steps have been taken to ensure that the rules are more clearly defined and enforced and this is a very good thing, long overdue.

Not the faintest idea what reality you think I want but am not getting, so can't comment on that.

If my company had insisted that part of my package was to be made up by LAFHA and now it was going away, I would be talking to my employer, not complaining about the government. I have not even bothered to look to see how many ways I am impacted by the budget, one thing I am sure about though is that it won't be positive. It is life.
Old May 13th 2012, 2:01 am
Banned

kmthor - mackay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I agree that a company was bound to take advantage of rules that were not properly set out or implemented. However now steps have been taken to ensure that the rules are more clearly defined and enforced and this is a very good thing, long overdue.

Not the faintest idea what reality you think I want but am not getting, so can't comment on that.

If my company had insisted that part of my package was to be made up by LAFHA and now it was going away, I would be talking to my employer, not complaining about the government. I have not even bothered to look to see how many ways I am impacted by the budget, one thing I am sure about though is that it won't be positive. It is life.
bloody hell i almost entirely agree with what you say here. almost
Old May 13th 2012, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beoz
I came here in the hope of persuading my employers to provide me with LAHFA. I had one minor htich - an Aussie passport - which does not demonstrate anything of a temporary nature despite the fact I will be returning to the UK in a few years. Point being I had to make my decision on what "if's". Things change, governments change, policies change, employers go broke, etc, etc

We've been round this before and the employers should have made their sponsers fully aware of the risks and if they are using it as part of the salary, and if their non LAHFA co-workers are earning considerably more, then do something about it.

No transition, no rules for one not for the other. It's gotta go.The goverment should ensure that all taxpayers, regardless of perm or temp should have equal benefits.
SO that means giving 457's child care refunds etc etc then...
Old May 13th 2012, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
SO that means giving 457's child care refunds etc etc then...
Yes, that would only be fair as they pay taxes the same as everybody else. Bear in mind that a lot of those benefits are means-tested or only apply to 2-working parents family. If this was implemented though, same as PRs and citizens, temporary residents would not get the chilcare rebate for example if one parent was a stay-at-home parent.

Citizens and PRs don't all get handouts and some temporary residents on here seem to think that we all live on the plentiful benefits. Not so. Before I went back to work, we got no childcare relief, whether we were on a 457 or a PR visa.

Having been on both side of the fence, I do think that temporary residents should be entitled to some benefits since they pay their taxes. But I also believe the LAFHA was abused by too many to not be tightened and I am glad to see it go. Shame the government is not making a gesture towards those with families by giving them some benefits though.

I agree with those that say that the changes are too drastic too quickly but maybe people should have heeded the November warning rather than think it would never happen.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It isn't up to anyone to provide tax breaks to select employees to provide even more profit for booming industries or even to prop up failing industries. It is up to the employers to pay the required salaries. Not sure why this point is still not clear, it has been said enough times.
1. The notice given was less than 2 months - between the budget day and 30 June. Prior to that was just consultative.
2. Whether LAFHA was right or not is irrelevant. The fact is that it WAS available for so many years and is now being pulled out from under people's feet.
3. Companies have abused LAFHA by selling net rates not gross rates, and incorporating the LAFHA in to employment contracts. They can't do this anymore - hah! Note - go online and you will see agencies STILL advertising packages with LAFHA! Poor show, Aus companies, poor show!
4. You can not look at LAFHA in isolation. You have to look at all the differences how 457s are treated compared to Aus nationals/PRs. Removal of LAFHA tips the balance and means 457s are disadvantaged compared to Aus nationals/PRs in terms of taxes/benefits.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cubeonly
1. The notice given was less than 2 months - between the budget day and 30 June. Prior to that was just consultative.
2. Whether LAFHA was right or not is irrelevant. The fact is that it WAS available for so many years and is now being pulled out from under people's feet.
3. Companies have abused LAFHA by selling net rates not gross rates, and incorporating the LAFHA in to employment contracts. They can't do this anymore - hah! Note - go online and you will see agencies STILL advertising packages with LAFHA! Poor show, Aus companies, poor show!
4. You can not look at LAFHA in isolation. You have to look at all the differences how 457s are treated compared to Aus nationals/PRs. Removal of LAFHA tips the balance and means 457s are disadvantaged compared to Aus nationals/PRs in terms of taxes/benefits.
How are you, in particular, disadvantaged by this change?
Old May 13th 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't think there's any dispute that the loss of this benefit will upset a few. But you are in a small minority of the entire tax paying population. You can't just have a benefit for a small few who may have naively made a poor decision, based on incorrect advice from employers, a few years back.
Again, the rights and wrongs of LAFHA are irrelevant. The fact is that it HAS been available and utilised by the companies over many years, and is now being pulled from under people's feet with little notice or consideration. The government are treating 457s like sh1t which is absolutely fine if they don't want the expertise 457s bring in to Australia. No worries for me I'm making moves to see what jobs there are in other countries already and so far it's very positive so no point being here.
Old May 13th 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
How are you, in particular, disadvantaged by this change?
Ok;
> I was negotiating the employment contract for this Aus job in Nov/Dec - from the start the agent and the company sold LAFHA and put it in the employment agreement.
> In Dec I learned of the LAFHA rumblings and tried to negotiate to get the LAFHA clauses out of my employment agreement plus an uplift to my day rate. They wouldn't budge.
> In January I came to Aus to start the job; on my own - the ex wife and kids are in UK.
> Now it (seems to be) confirmed that my net pay will go down by GBP 12k pa from 1 July. Although my gross pay exceeds AUD 400k pa, I will not accept this pay drop without a fight, not because I agree with LAFHA or do not agree with it, but because at negotiation time they insisted on selling me a net rate with LAFHA incorporated in to my employment agreement.
> I have commenced negotiations for an uplift to my day rate from 1 July, however late last week I heard through the vine that the company won't budge for anyone.
> If they do actually budge and uplift my day rate, fine. If they don't, I will move on, mainly because I know that presently there are other opportunities available to me in other parts of the world.
So for me it's not a big deal (I can upsticks tonight if I really want), but as I said before I feel for the 457s who have established more commitment to staying in Australia - e.g. younger people with young families here - what the government have done is in my eyes criminally negligent towards these people. Consequently I am NOT a fan of Australia and how its government treats people, so if my agent/company doesn't budge and I end up leaving in the next 6 weeks or so, I will strike Australia off the list and will not consider future employment opportunities here.

Last edited by cubeonly; May 13th 2012 at 7:16 am.
Old May 13th 2012, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Again, the rights and wrongs of LAFHA are irrelevant. The fact is that it HAS been available and utilised by the companies over many years, and is now being pulled from under people's feet with little notice or consideration.
And again, a few years ago the new Labor government changed the means-tested thresholds for many benefits when announcing their first budget in May, most changes effective from 1st July that same year. It only gave people a few weeks notice that they were losing benefits they'd been getting for years. How is that different? Isn't it the nature of politics?
Old May 13th 2012, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
And again, a few years ago the new Labor government changed the means-tested thresholds for many benefits when announcing their first budget in May, most changes effective from 1st July that same year. It only gave people a few weeks notice that they were losing benefits they'd been getting for years. How is that different? Isn't it the nature of politics?
I guess it's no different, and reinforces my view of Australia - I think the place sucks (because of its nanny government regime). Normal folk and the place itself are great though.
Old May 13th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Ok;
> I was negotiating the employment contract for this Aus job in Nov/Dec - from the start the agent and the company sold LAFHA and put it in the employment agreement.
> In Dec I learned of the LAFHA rumblings and tried to negotiate to get the LAFHA clauses out of my employment agreement plus an uplift to my day rate. They wouldn't budge.
> In January I came to Aus to start the job; on my own - the ex wife and kids are in UK.
> Now it (seems to be) confirmed that my net pay will go down by GBP 12k pa from 1 July. Although my gross pay exceeds AUD 400k pa, I will not accept this pay drop without a fight, not because I agree with LAFHA or do not agree with it, but because at negotiation time they insisted on selling me a net rate with LAFHA incorporated in to my employment agreement.
> I have commenced negotiations for an uplift to my day rate from 1 July, however late last week I heard through the vine that the company won't budge.
> If they do actually budge and uplift my day rate, fine. If they don't, I will move on, mainly because I know that presently there are other opportunities available to me in other parts of the world.
So for me it's not a big deal (I can upsticks tonight if I really want), but as I said before I feel for the 457s who have established more commitment to staying in Australia - the younger people with young families here - what the government have done is in my eyes criminally negligent towards these people. Consequently I am NOT a fan of Australia and how its government treats people, so if my agent/company doesn't budge and I end up leaving in the next 6 weeks or so, I will strike Australia off the list and will not consider future employment opportunities here.
So it's fair to say you never needed LAFHA. Better that you don't get it then and you probably should never have got it. Australia didnt put you in a predicament and the issue you have with your employer should be directed at them.

Me personally, I love Australia.
Old May 13th 2012, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
So it's fair to say you never needed LAFHA. Better that you don't get it then and you probably should never have got it. Australia didnt put you in a predicament and the issue you have with your employer should be directed at them.

Me personally, I love Australia.
The agent (British) and company (Australian) have put me in a predicament (if I'm in a predicament that all that is).
But I'm not in a predicament - better opportunities in other parts of the world; Australia was a gamble from the start because of the taxes and red tape. So all it's done is confirmed my nervousness about this place.
No worries!
Old May 13th 2012, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you are over dramatising the removal of LAHFA and the effect it will have on Australia. It will go unnoticed. I'd be very surprised if an equivelent scheme existed for you in Indonesia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.