Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ladies-haematuria, does anyone know?

Ladies-haematuria, does anyone know?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice
Default Ladies-haematuria, does anyone know?

I'm a nurse & prior to my upcoming meds have been dipsticking my urine for weeks......only to find copious amounts of blood showing on the stick. None visible in urine! thank god! Can't be TOM - too long......any ideas anyone??
Haven't got an infection, had antibiotics in case so any comments/ideas would be grateful.....

Will i have to be referred to a urologist?? If so, might visit GP now and try and suss it out before meds...dunno, worried.
Mo
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ladies-haematuria, does anyone know?

Originally Posted by mo33
I'm a nurse & prior to my upcoming meds have been dipsticking my urine for weeks......only to find copious amounts of blood showing on the stick. None visible in urine! thank god! Can't be TOM - too long......any ideas anyone??
Haven't got an infection, had antibiotics in case so any comments/ideas would be grateful.....

Will i have to be referred to a urologist?? If so, might visit GP now and try and suss it out before meds...dunno, worried.
Mo
Hi Mo,

This is interesting: http://www.london-urology.co.uk/haematuria.htm.

Do you have any other symptoms? Pain or burning when passing water?

Not a good idea to take abx if no infection established, but perhaps worth some probiotics to get over them?

I would see your GP now - it's probably nothing serious, but better to make sure, and it's probably easier done through your GP.

Good luck.

r8p
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

I have a friend who is already over in Gold Coast. She and I are both nurses. She always has microscopic haematuria and yes she did have to go for a cystoscopy ( very normal result thank goodness!). Every case is an individual one though and for now just think about yourself and get your health sorted. Good luck with everything and hope you are back to norm soon! LouB
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:14 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's easy if you're a nurse to try & overlook health stuff if you feel okay - especially if you don't want anything on your record for when you see the immigration medic.

How do I know this??? Coz I'm not 100% either!!! Been experiencing tightness in my chest & like a hard lumpy feeling when things get frustrating at home (I've got loads going at home :curse

Anyway, I'd been ignoring it & put it down to stress, but still had this niggly worry about it - which of course wasn't making things any better. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I reckoned that my health was far more important than the immigration & anyway, after reading very many threads on here, it seemed I was going to have to have something far worse than a bit of tachycardia before I would get rejected on health grounds.

So... I had to go for a smear test anyway last week, so asked the doc to give me a check over & as I'd hoped (& probably secretly knew) all was fine with me, just a bit of stress getting to me. And of course, it works the other way - now I know it's only a bit of stress, I can take measures to reduce it - so it's all good.

My advice is just go & get it checked out asap - it may well be nothing more than a small infection, it may as others have said, if you're completely without other symptoms, just be "normal" for you.

Sheesh! It's so easy to turn into a hypochondriac when so much rests on staying well, doesn't it

Take care & plenty of clear fluids
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies everyone, will see GP next week! No doubt will update when i've been for my immi meds and all is ok!!
Mo
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

HI Fellow Nurse,

Just though I would give my two bobs worth. I would start drinking plenty of water, just incase it was just a passing virus/vigourous coitus/PV/other haemoserous fluid. At a microscopic level fairly low grade infection cause 'small holes in renal filtration to become big holes' allowing stuff to get through. Make sure your doing proper MSU procedure.
Retest now and for 3 days mane. If they are okay I would be reluctant to draw medical attention to it just yet...esp with your meds coming up!
HKA RN