Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kings Cross, Sydney

Kings Cross, Sydney

Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

jason and allie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kings Cross, Sydney

Try 'Y on the park', its the YWCA owned hotel on Hyde Park. Its modern, clean and central and comes with all those useful extras like iron and ironing board, tea and coffee in rooms etc and its budget. You also get breakfast included which will save you $10 a dy each! Its also as central as they come, being walking distance to darling harbour, opera house, bridge, botanical gardens etc etc. Its also next to Oxford street which although being the gay area of Sydney is absolutely packed with mega cheap (and good) eating spots.
Jason.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:42 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

which hotle is it?
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Not knowing what type of holiday you're after and whether you have children etc, can't really call it. It's certainly a great place for a night out. And being so close to the CBD, it's in the middle of everything. (Yes, Manly has the beaches, but personally, I'd prefer to get the ferry over there when you want to hit them and stay closer to town - that's where most of the tourist stuff is located, after all.)

There are more sex shops and lap dancing places and prostitutes in Kings Cross than in other suburbs. If that offends you, you might not want to base yourself there. (But there are sex shops all over Sydney, so escaping them is tricky!) Horses for courses.

Have basically booked a weekend in Sydney for a few reasons; in Oz for two weeks so want to see more than just Brisbane, staying with OH family so a wee break from them might be good for us and them and also traveling hlf way round the world it would be a waste to visit just one place. A couple of friends have been to Sydney and say it is a must see/visit when you go to Oz.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:08 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Heading out to Oz in June for a few weeks staying mainly in Brisbane, heading down to Sydney for a few nights during our stay. Have booked into a hotel in the Kings Cross area. Had not researched the area prior to booking and have just found out that it is Sydneys red light district and has a reputation for drugs and tourist muggings. Can anyone advise us otherwise of the area. Should we look at changing hotels?
Change your hotel. If that kind of thing bothers you, you're not going to enjoy staying in Kings Cross.

If however you're wanting to stay somewhere that is in walking distance to Sydney's main attractions, a bus ride to a beach, and full of some of the best restaurants (yes, Mr_California, Prague is a great restaurant, we've been with some Slovak friends who like the occasional reminder of home - there's another slovak bar in Kings Cross, can't remember the name at the mo, but again highly recommended), and has reasonably priced accommodation, well don't change your hotel. Just ignore the prostitutes - and have to say, I don't really notice many druggies around there, they tend to hide away from being noticed.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:49 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I live 10 minutes from Kings Cross. I have to say as red light districts go, it is pretty tame. Nothing like Soho etc. Nothing more than one short strip of sex shops splattered here and there. Oh! and my fave British Sweet Shop on one corner
It is placed in and around some of the most expensive parts of Sydney and very close to the CBD.
If you are in a good hotel, i really wouldnt have any problems with it.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

I've stayed in the cross on a couple of occasions.
Mainly because the backpackers car market is there where
we bought and sold our van.
We stayed at the Gazebo Hotel beside the Fizroy fountain but I think
thats changed now. The second we stayed at Eva's Backpackers which
is a really nice hostel with a fantastic roof top garden.
There is a metro station there which makes getting around easy.
It is a bit seedy but not in a way you'd think. I can't explain it really.
We too used to see a tranny prostitute and after being there a while
some of the locals give you the nod and the strip club touts leave you alone
and there were only the two shootings the second time we stayed there.
On one occasion we saw the tranvestite sat on a milk crate in a shop
doorway asleep showing the world where his/her meat and two once lived.
We didn't mind the place but then we were backpacking at the time and
now look back at the place with a strange fondness although I'd think
twice about returning with our two boys in tow.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:00 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sambo76
Oxford Koala on Oxford Street. It overlooks Hyde Park & is about as central as you can get.
If I find a link to it. I'll post it for you

The very ugly Oxford Koala Hotel was part demolished & redeveloped into plush designer apartments called "Monument" a couple of years back - we stayed their with a friend last year - you will still find plenty of booking links and old pictures on the numerous generic travel sites which just shows how much care these cut and paste merchants take.

Good luck!