Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kings Cross, Sydney

Kings Cross, Sydney

Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Kings Cross, Sydney

Heading out to Oz in June for a few weeks staying mainly in Brisbane, heading down to Sydney for a few nights during our stay. Have booked into a hotel in the Kings Cross area. Had not researched the area prior to booking and have just found out that it is Sydneys red light district and has a reputation for drugs and tourist muggings. Can anyone advise us otherwise of the area. Should we look at changing hotels?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:13 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kings Cross, Sydney

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Heading out to Oz in June for a few weeks staying mainly in Brisbane, heading down to Sydney for a few nights during our stay. Have booked into a hotel in the Kings Cross area. Had not researched the area prior to booking and have just found out that it is Sydneys red light district and has a reputation for drugs and tourist muggings. Can anyone advise us otherwise of the area. Should we look at changing hotels?
TBH, it wouldn't be my choice of area to stay...
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rodders39
TBH, it wouldn't be my choice of area to stay...

Can you elaborate on that.........
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:27 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Can you elaborate on that.........
...have just found out that it is Sydneys red light district and has a reputation for drugs and tourist muggings...
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:29 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, King's Cross has a reputation. But it also has a very up and coming side. There are some really good bars and restaurants in the area. It's also right in the heart of the city. So long as you're sensible, I think it's a fine area to base yourself in. I quite like the place.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rodders39

okay, tell more.........is it close to get into the city and should we get taxis back at night?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Yes, King's Cross has a reputation. But it also has a very up and coming side. There are some really good bars and restaurants in the area. It's also right in the heart of the city. So long as you're sensible, I think it's a fine area to base yourself in. I quite like the place.

okay, so we should not look at changing hotels then?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

It is a wee bit of a seedy place to stay. I wouldnt say it was anymore dangerous than staying in a city in uk ie manchester london. But if i was to be honest it wouldnt be the first place id stay in sydney. Mine would be manley just a boat ride away to the city, lovely beaches and very much so a nice place all round. Dont gert too hung up on it if it is a decent hotel you wont have any worries!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:00 pm
Timelord

okay, tell more.........is it close to get into the city and should we get taxis back at night?
Yes it's close to the centre and as GM says there's nice parts and not so nice parts... I guess it depends how long you're planning on staying and what you want to do/see while you're there... As someone else said Manly is a great place to stay and is just a half hour ferry ride to Circular Quay... Then there's hotels bang in the centre so a lot of things are walkable...
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:06 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Not knowing what type of holiday you're after and whether you have children etc, can't really call it. It's certainly a great place for a night out. And being so close to the CBD, it's in the middle of everything. (Yes, Manly has the beaches, but personally, I'd prefer to get the ferry over there when you want to hit them and stay closer to town - that's where most of the tourist stuff is located, after all.)

There are more sex shops and lap dancing places and prostitutes in Kings Cross than in other suburbs. If that offends you, you might not want to base yourself there. (But there are sex shops all over Sydney, so escaping them is tricky!) Horses for courses.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

we stayed for a week in Kings X and had no problems. Yes it is a tad seedy but if you take care to behave as you would in any other big city you'll be fine.
It's very convenient for the city centre, and you're also close to Harry's Cafe De Wheels for those late night hunger pangs!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on Australia (so following may not be much help, sorry) but have accidentally stayed in red light areas in europe (marseilles?!) and had no problems at all - just be sensible. Sure it can't be that bad. Enjoy!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Mr_California is a jewel in the roughMr_California is a jewel in the roughMr_California is a jewel in the roughMr_California is a jewel in the rough

it's no worse than urban san francisco...stay on the main streets at night, and walk purposefully, and you'll be fine. apparently there's a really good Czech restaurant/bar near there called Prague, too....
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:23 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed in Kings cross when we were backpacking and didn't have any problems. The area certainly has character. We had a tranny prostitute who used to tout for business outside our hostel but he was vey polite and always said hello!
I didn't feel unsafe (although I was with my big, burly husband) and it was very central.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

It really does depend on what you want. It's central, full of bars & restaurants as well as late night takeaways. It does have a lot of lap dancing bars & a few prostitutes hanging around, bu there's always someone around & a decent number of police at the weekend so I don't think it's unsafe or anything- just a little seedy!
What kind of place do you want? I'm guessing fairly budget? If so, try the Oxford Koala on Oxford Street. It overlooks Hyde Park & is about as central as you can get.
If I find a link to it. I'll post it for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.