Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kindy for 3's in WA?????

Kindy for 3's in WA?????

Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough
Default Kindy for 3's in WA?????

Hey,

I'm really hoping one or more of you is a teacher preferably living in my local vicinity (port kennedy) and can help me out big time.

My boy is turning 3 in January and someone mentioned at a BBQ last night (coz I was moaning he doesn't start kindy till 2010!) that he might be able to go to a new thing that's started, kindy for 3 year olds. She reckons not all schools do it but I have kinda got my hopes up now at the thought that I can have 2 1/2 days a week where I can stroll round coles without him swinging off the end of the trolly!

He really needs to go somewhere but I can't justify private nursery fee's as I already stay at home with a 5 month old baby.

I did think of ringing Rockingham shire but would they know about all schools including private that might have this on offer?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Kindy for 3's in WA?????

I heard alot of these ABC schools were shutting down....or i may be wrong.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough

Aren't ABC the private nurserys?

This kindy for 3's thing is part of schools she reckons. Like the regular kindy from age 4 though it's voluntary so not all schools have to do it.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Me and my Boys
Aren't ABC the private nurserys?

This kindy for 3's thing is part of schools she reckons. Like the regular kindy from age 4 though it's voluntary so not all schools have to do it.
I have no idea if ABC are private, my kids outgrew them years ago lol...

Just think it's ashame for them to shut. Kids need them.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough

Hi there, your convo at the BBQ would be correct, there are a few places that have a thing called pre-kindy for 3 and 4 year olds. Places are very limited and its hard to find a place. My son turned 3 in Aug, and I have managed to get him a place at a 4+ pre-kindy from Feb 09. Its on offer 2 days per week, for 2.25 hrs per day...not sure if there are different ones around but from the conversations I have had, they all follow pretty much the same format. The one my son will attend is not part of a school, its held in a family centre, specifically designed for pre-kindy classes...i hope this helps, I'm not sure where Port Kennedy is but you'll find this kind of information from your local WA playgroup mum's. Best of luck
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter is going to a pre kindy its at our local family centre costs $150 pterm she will be going from12.30 -2.30 1 day a week

there is a massive waiting list for this but hopefully somewhere nr you do do them
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hey,

I'm really hoping one or more of you is a teacher preferably living in my local vicinity (port kennedy) and can help me out big time.

My boy is turning 3 in January and someone mentioned at a BBQ last night (coz I was moaning he doesn't start kindy till 2010!) that he might be able to go to a new thing that's started, kindy for 3 year olds. She reckons not all schools do it but I have kinda got my hopes up now at the thought that I can have 2 1/2 days a week where I can stroll round coles without him swinging off the end of the trolly!

He really needs to go somewhere but I can't justify private nursery fee's as I already stay at home with a 5 month old baby.

I did think of ringing Rockingham shire but would they know about all schools including private that might have this on offer?
We are in the same sort of point. My son turned 3 a couple of weeks ago. I've struggled with both of mine to find what I deem as "suitable". I ended up not sending my daughter anywhere for more than 3 hours but having a 3 year old and 18 month old 6.5 days per week really did take its toll.

Thankfully (after recommendation) though for my DS I tried the Madora Bay ABC which is staying as ABC until March then will become govt or private. He's been going since just after he was 2 and has come on in leaps and bounds. I am really happy with how he has been cared for, developed. It is a much quieter daycare than Secret Harbour. Hence, one of the reasons I prefer it. It doesn't feel like there are 20,000 kids running around. I had a look at the Waikki Playschool when we thought abc might close. I was a bit concerned at how school like it was for a 3 year old. Give it another 6 to 9 months or so then I could see the point of it. This was the only place I knew of in the area that had a 3+ programme for more than 2 hours a day. I'll be interested if you find anything out.

I understand your concern with the cost of daycare but once you get all your rebates back it really doesn't cost that much at all. I couldn't give you exact figures because it depends on your income but the govt does give so much money back even for stay home mums.

As we don't have any family here I've found it to be important to have this day otherwise I would never get a break. It's not like the kids get to go to grandparents for sleepovers etc. DS also has a chance to be away from his big sister and mummy (17 months apart they do everything together). I definitely felt he needed his own space as well and it's worked out really well.

I do believe that it has helped DS but at the same time though I don't think it hurt my daughter not going just tougher for me. It was not like the Kindy year was so taxing that she needed to be at a certain level to be able to cope with it i.e a pre-Kindy being essential. She was also one of the youngest kindy kids. If I knew about Madora back then she would have gone but that's the way it was.

I've heard Thriving Threes at the aqua jetty is good but a pm start. Wasn't a good time for me really because my daughter was a kid that still napped and so does DS so wanted to keep this for a while longer as it's my free lunch break and dinner cooking time and I am sure I will want to put my fed up as I get more and more pregnant! Should ABC in Madora close I will perhaps consider it for the last 6 months before DS starts Kindy.

Keep us posted with what you find. Good luck.

Last edited by PoppetUK; Dec 29th 2008 at 2:33 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Hey,

There's a 'Thriving 3s' programme that runs from the Aqua Jetty at Warnbro. It offers two, two hour sessions (I think) per week. There's a fee attached to it but it's not expensive.

Also, Waikiki Playschool - which my 3 year old son goes to - operates sessions which are similar to the Kindy year at school. It's a fantastic place; there's a real emphasis on teaching manners and social awareness. Also, they teach the alphabet, numbers and pencil holding. It's a very orderly set up with a structured day. There are three/four adults at the playschool, and the teacher is an educational psychologist. Again, it's fee paying, and as we're on a 457 visa we have to pay full whack. If you're a PR you wouldn't have to pay full fees.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
We are in the same sort of point. My son turned 3 a couple of weeks ago. I've struggled with both of mine to find what I deem as "suitable". I ended up not sending my daughter anywhere for more than 3 hours but having a 3 year old and 18 month old 6.5 days per week really did take its toll.

Thankfully (after recommendation) though for my DS I tried the Madora Bay ABC which is staying as ABC until March then will become govt or private. He's been going since just after he was 2 and has come on in leaps and bounds. I am really happy with how he has been cared for, developed. It is a much quieter daycare than Secret Harbour. Hence, one of the reasons I prefer it. It doesn't feel like there are 20,000 kids running around. I had a look at the Waikki Playschool when we thought abc might close. I was a bit concerned at how school like it was for a 3 year old. Give it another 6 to 9 months or so then I could see the point of it. This was the only place I knew of in the area that had a 3+ programme for more than 2 hours a day. I'll be interested if you find anything out.

I understand your concern with the cost of daycare but once you get all your rebates back it really doesn't cost that much at all. I couldn't give you exact figures because it depends on your income but the govt does give so much money back even for stay home mums.

As we don't have any family here I've found it to be important to have this day otherwise I would never get a break. It's not like the kids get to go to grandparents for sleepovers etc. DS also has a chance to be away from his big sister and mummy (17 months apart they do everything together). I definitely felt he needed his own space as well and it's worked out really well.

I do believe that it has helped DS but at the same time though I don't think it hurt my daughter not going just tougher for me. It was not like the Kindy year was so taxing that she needed to be at a certain level to be able to cope with it i.e a pre-Kindy being essential. She was also one of the youngest kindy kids. If I knew about Madora back then she would have gone but that's the way it was.

I've heard Thriving Threes at the aqua jetty is good but a pm start. Wasn't a good time for me really because my daughter was a kid that still napped and so does DS so wanted to keep this for a while longer as it's my free lunch break and dinner cooking time and I am sure I will want to put my fed up as I get more and more pregnant! Should ABC in Madora close I will perhaps consider it for the last 6 months before DS starts Kindy.

Keep us posted with what you find. Good luck.
Just read your post, and realised I'd repeated everything you'd said! Like you I had reservations about Waikiki Playschook, but it's been absolutely the right place for my son. He can be a bit of a handful and being there has helped him a lot. We're also going back to England next year, where he'll start full time school, so he needs to be at a certain level before we go back. WP seems to offer what he needs to be able to cope with full time school.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Just read your post, and realised I'd repeated everything you'd said! Like you I had reservations about Waikiki Playschook, but it's been absolutely the right place for my son. He can be a bit of a handful and being there has helped him a lot. We're also going back to England next year, where he'll start full time school, so he needs to be at a certain level before we go back. WP seems to offer what he needs to be able to cope with full time school.
Hope I didn't put my foot in it. If we were heading back to uk I'm pretty sure I would go to Waikiki for ds. I asked about my daughter actually attending for a short period because I thought they covered a lot of stuff that wasn't covered at kindy!!! I have to say I am a little concerned about the kindy level at her local school mainly because of thoughts returning but there again they start full time in feb and she is likely to be in preprimary / year 1. I was hoping for this just in case we do return she might be exposed to a liitie more. If we plan a move back I will start ds at kindy but also do Waikiki.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Hope I didn't put my foot in it. If we were heading back to uk I'm pretty sure I would go to Waikiki for ds. I asked about my daughter actually attending for a short period because I thought they covered a lot of stuff that wasn't covered at kindy!!! I have to say I am a little concerned about the kindy level at her local school mainly because of thoughts returning but there again they start full time in feb and she is likely to be in preprimary / year 1. I was hoping for this just in case we do return she might be exposed to a liitie more. If we plan a move back I will start ds at kindy but also do Waikiki.

No, of course you didn't PoppetUK!

I'm quite disappointed by the lack of establishments that offer quality care alongside a structured learning programme for over 3's. A lot of children are more than ready to begin some kind of learning programme at this age, and really benefit from it. I think there's a big gap in the Australian system that doesn't cater adequately for children aged between three and four.

One other reason I like Waikiki Playschool is that you don't see any bored looking teenage carers there. I know they have to start somewhere, but I prefer my son to be with more mature experienced adults.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heljinder
No, of course you didn't PoppetUK!

I'm quite disappointed by the lack of establishments that offer quality care alongside a structured learning programme for over 3's. A lot of children are more than ready to begin some kind of learning programme at this age, and really benefit from it. I think there's a big gap in the Australian system that doesn't cater adequately for children aged between three and four.

One other reason I like Waikiki Playschool is that you don't see any bored looking teenage carers there. I know they have to start somewhere, but I prefer my son to be with more mature experienced adults.
Tell me about it. My DD was going to a UK style playgroup from just over 2 in the UK (she did Sept to March until we left). I was so so disappointed when we arrived because I had bent over backwards to avoid those school leaver style daycare centres in the UK hence why she didn't go anywhere other than 3 hours a week for a couple of months when I had finally hit the wall. I expected to find something similar here that followed a 3-4 curriculum. I was wrongly mistaken.

Do you mind me asking how old your little one was when they started at Waikiki? I am starting to rethink now after this thread that I should have another look.

Cheers

Poppet
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Tell me about it. My DD was going to a UK style playgroup from just over 2 in the UK (she did Sept to March until we left). I was so so disappointed when we arrived because I had bent over backwards to avoid those school leaver style daycare centres in the UK hence why she didn't go anywhere other than 3 hours a week for a couple of months when I had finally hit the wall. I expected to find something similar here that followed a 3-4 curriculum. I was wrongly mistaken.

Do you mind me asking how old your little one was when they started at Waikiki? I am starting to rethink now after this thread that I should have another look.

Cheers

Poppet
He was three in August and it's taken me until just recently to find somewhere suitable for him, so he only started a couple of weeks ago. Someone I know from my older son's school suggested it, as her three year old daughter goes there as well.

You'll probably remember that it's run by a Japanese(?) couple, and in their culture childhood learning is approached a bit differently, than say, western cultures. They're strict, but very fair and they focus on positive language rather than negative; ie., they would say 'please walk' rather than 'no running'. It might sound daft to some, but I like it. After speaking at length with both of them, I saw how dedicated and professional they were, and both have a strong belief in early learning. My son is bright, but gets very frustrated and can 'fly off the handle', he can be as stubbon as a mule as well - bless him! Angela (the teacher) was really excited about working with him, which to me showed how much she loves and cares about what she does.

It's a very orderly place, which some might not like, but I think it gives little ones a feeling of security rather than the chaos I've found in some day care centres.

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but so far so good, and I'm looking forward to increasing his sessions in January.

Good luck, if you decide to take a look at it again.

Heljinder
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in exactly the same position 3 yr old and 5 month old baby apart from I am in Mornington in Melbourne, infact I have spent the day today ringing round all kindys to try and find out if I can get my 3 year old in... So far no luck! they were either closed or full. My 3 year old attended nursery 3 mornings a week in the uk and she is already missing it here!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Kindy for 3's in WA?????

My daughter (3) has just left Waikiki PS & loved it - I can't fault them with what they have done with her - its fab. We managed to secure a place at Charthouse - lucky for us - thats why she has left there.