Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Queensland any advice please

Perth or Queensland any advice please

Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Smile Perth or Queensland any advice please

Hi

I am looking to move to either Perth or Queensland. I am a teacher and oh joiner. What is work prospects like in both? We have two children aged 6 and 3.

My teaching qualification is a 3yr degree and I understand that Australia require 4 yrs. I have found out that Queensland would accept however, I am unsure if Perth have a similar add on available.

Most of my research has been done so far for Perth which sounds fab however, do I study for an extra year to teach in Perth or head to Queensland where I could teach straight away.

Any advice thanks Nicky
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Queensland any advice please

More info needed. Queensland is a massive state, Perth is a small(ish) city. Where are you considering in QLD? Brissie/GC/SC/CC/Cairns etc etc?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Perth or Queensland any advice please

Hi Nicky,

there is some talk that QLD is tightening up on their requirements for teachers and that in the next few years those teachers who have the 3 year degree will have to go on and study further to complete the equivalent. Nothing has come into effect yet though and it is still just talk. It may be worth calling the Queensland College of Teachers who govern teaching in QLD & speak to them about the 3 or 4 year degree issue. It may turn out that you don't need to do any extra study.

Queensland College of Teachers
Phone: (07) 3377 4777
Email: [email protected]

There are hundreds of teaching jobs in QLD if you are prepared to sign up with the state department but you will be posted to a remote area where nobody else wants to work. To gain a teaching position in the more desirable locations is not easy but it's certainly possible if you work hard and are prepared to take contract positions and supply work to begin with. Be prepared to take a huge step back in your career before you start stepping forwards though. Good luck whatever you decide