Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids tax and premium bonds

Kids tax and premium bonds

Old May 14th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Kids tax and premium bonds

I know adults' wins are taxed when you move to Australia but what about the kids?

Does anyone know if they have any advantage as my kids have some put away but we'll invest elsewhere if they're going to lose out to tax.

Thanks

Carolyn
Old May 14th 2005, 12:50 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kids tax and premium bonds

Originally Posted by flip
I know adults' wins are taxed when you move to Australia but what about the kids?

Does anyone know if they have any advantage as my kids have some put away but we'll invest elsewhere if they're going to lose out to tax.

Thanks

Carolyn
Hello,

They will get taxed as Premium Bonds are treated as investments. I'm not 100% sure on this but I reckon they will also be liable for the 66% tax rates they use for kids to stop their parents using them as a tax dodge. From memory this rate applies to all earning not made by gainful employment after the tax free threshold for children of $772.

Regards
Alistair

Last edited by kirsty&al; May 14th 2005 at 12:53 pm.
Old May 14th 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

They will get taxed as Premium Bonds are treated as investments. I'm not 100% sure on this but I reckon they will also be liable for the 66% tax rates they use for kids to stop their parents using them as a tax dodge. From memory this rate applies to all earning not made by gainful employment after the tax free threshold for children of $772.

Regards
Alistair
Knew I could rely on you.

Thanks Alistair.

Carolyn
Old May 14th 2005, 2:42 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by flip
Knew I could rely on you.

Thanks Alistair.

Carolyn
What about the Child Trust Funds just introduced in the UK. What if you move to Australia, what about the tax on these?

Paul
Old May 14th 2005, 4:29 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gajjitt
What about the Child Trust Funds just introduced in the UK. What if you move to Australia, what about the tax on these?

Paul
Good question, anyone have an answer?

I was thinking of signing my lads over to my parents (if thats possible) but it will still be in his name, so possibly elligible for tax, not quite sure how it works.
Old May 14th 2005, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Good question, anyone have an answer?

I was thinking of signing my lads over to my parents (if thats possible) but it will still be in his name, so possibly elligible for tax, not quite sure how it works.
Unfortunately these have come in after I left, so I'm sure what they are. Does anyone have a link so I can take a peek?

Regards
Alistair
Old May 15th 2005, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

ANY Overseas Income that the Australian Tax Office deems to be taxable, will be taxed.

Premium Bonds placed in a UK residents name, AND at a UK address will not be "noticed" by the Australian Tax Office.

If the winner of a prize is displayed on the NSI website, as having an Australian address, it will no doubt be looked into by the ATO

Old May 15th 2005, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
ANY Overseas Income that the Australian Tax Office deems to be taxable, will be taxed.

Premium Bonds placed in a UK residents name, AND at a UK address will not be "noticed" by the Australian Tax Office.

If the winner of a prize is displayed on the NSI website, as having an Australian address, it will no doubt be looked into by the ATO
Thanks

I wasn't trying to defraud anyone. I just wondered whether kids were exempt from the tax laws in the same way they are over here.

Carolyn
Old May 15th 2005, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by gajjitt

Paul
Hello,

I just had a quick look on the internet and I get the impression that these are a bit like ISAs for kids (but with a fixed end date). My guess (note guess) would be that these will be treated by the ATO in the same way as ISAs (for adults) and stakeholder pensions for kids. That is, they will come under the FIF regulations which means that if the total value of FIFs (Foreign Investment Funds and Foreign Life Policies) for the family is more than $50k then you can be taxed on the increase in the fund every year. If less then you get taxed when the fund pays out (regardless of them being tax free in the UK).

Sorry for the bad news - Oz has not cottoned onto the benefits of tax free savings yet, but hopefully they will one day.

Regards
Alistair