Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

kids with special needs statement?

kids with special needs statement?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

cowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to all
Default kids with special needs statement?

Hi there
my son had just scraped through school and sat 8 gcses. bit worried about approaching schools with his school record (couple of exclusions) and educational needs statement. moving to south west australia (bunbury region).
hes a bright lad and a lovely personality but hes not good in big groups and the thought of another 2-3 years of school is freaking him out. he would rather geta job or start an apprenticeship but dont know if that is poss at his age (15 nearly 16)

anyone been in the same boat? how do schools deal with behavioural problems?

Cheers
Julie
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:57 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids with special needs statement?

Originally Posted by cowpeys
Hi there
my son had just scraped through school and sat 8 gcses. bit worried about approaching schools with his school record (couple of exclusions) and educational needs statement. moving to south west australia (bunbury region).
hes a bright lad and a lovely personality but hes not good in big groups and the thought of another 2-3 years of school is freaking him out. he would rather geta job or start an apprenticeship but dont know if that is poss at his age (15 nearly 16)

anyone been in the same boat? how do schools deal with behavioural problems?

Cheers
Julie
You do not need to tell them about the exclusions - and they possibly will not pay any attention to the special needs statement.

What you will need to do to get the best for your boy is talk to the school with your son and see what facilities they have in place that suits him, you and the school. You may need to look at a couple of schools to find a good fit. A small private school might be an option with a higher level of pastoral care.

Apprenticeships are possible at nearly 16 look into the local TAFE's are offering.

Don't worry too much there is time enough if he has just sat his GCSE's to have a good look around and start school in January or another course if that is what he wants to do.

Good Luck
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

cowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sandra
You do not need to tell them about the exclusions - and they possibly will not pay any attention to the special needs statement.

What you will need to do to get the best for your boy is talk to the school with your son and see what facilities they have in place that suits him, you and the school. You may need to look at a couple of schools to find a good fit. A small private school might be an option with a higher level of pastoral care.

Apprenticeships are possible at nearly 16 look into the local TAFE's are offering.

Don't worry too much there is time enough if he has just sat his GCSE's to have a good look around and start school in January or another course if that is what he wants to do.

Good Luck

thanks for reply. priority is getting him sorted cos if hes happy....

Julie
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cowpeys
thanks for reply. priority is getting him sorted cos if hes happy....

Julie
Hi my son is the same as yours although he is in year eight going to year nine in sept we are hoping to move in feb 08.

He is really struggling at school seems to be getting into trouble almost every week with attitude problems, the problem is he gets so frustrated as the teachers do not listen to what he is telling them that he then shouts and starts banging his stuff on the table.

For example today he came home with a report from his special needs helper saying he was rude to the teachers when in fact the girl behind him kept hitting him with a ruler so he moved to the back of the class away from her and the teacher made him move back and was not willing to listen to the reason why he had moved in the first place so my son just got stroppy.

He really hates the school and the teachers and quite frankly so do i a fresh start would be great.
He is not angel but the school seem to be bringing out the worst in him.

Any way he also got an exclusion recently and my husband and myself went up the school and got is retracted becouse they had the wrong boy i told them i did not want it put on his report so i just hope they did take notice of me bloody crap school.

Sorry for the rant but feel i can relate to you
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mum01753
Hi my son is the same as yours although he is in year eight going to year nine in sept we are hoping to move in feb 08.

He is really struggling at school seems to be getting into trouble almost every week with attitude problems, the problem is he gets so frustrated as the teachers do not listen to what he is telling them that he then shouts and starts banging his stuff on the table.

For example today he came home with a report from his special needs helper saying he was rude to the teachers when in fact the girl behind him kept hitting him with a ruler so he moved to the back of the class away from her and the teacher made him move back and was not willing to listen to the reason why he had moved in the first place so my son just got stroppy.

He really hates the school and the teachers and quite frankly so do i a fresh start would be great.
He is not angel but the school seem to be bringing out the worst in him.

Any way he also got an exclusion recently and my husband and myself went up the school and got is retracted becouse they had the wrong boy i told them i did not want it put on his report so i just hope they did take notice of me bloody crap school.

Sorry for the rant but feel i can relate to you
Jus thad a second thought for you my nephew is 15years and has started TAFE doing a mecanical engineering course may it would be best for your boy to go straight to the TAFE college and start a trade.

I think my sister said the fees for that course was a bout $1500. a year and he managed to win a scholarship.
A bit steep but maybe it would be worth it to get your son away from the school enviroment and becoming more adult about things.