Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids gone feral?

Kids gone feral?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids gone feral?

I have a nephew whos 12 and he moved over here with his Mum and Dad (my brother) four years ago. Good kid but bit on the quiet side. Any way he goes to school, is picked up in the shiny family sedan, comes home and watches TV and goes on MSN to friends hes been at school all day with???!!! They do their best to keep him busy but they have to work but as I watch him thumping away on his computer with his i pod on and I couldnt help but think............what a crap life for a youngen.

Dont load ya weapons yet, its just, I couldnt help thinking that he does everything with his parents. They take him to concerts and to the beach (yawn) and to little towns for the weekend but I cant help thinking that what this kid needs is a couple of weeks on the old estate back home. When I was that age I was playing on scaffolding 4 floors up, vandalising bubblegum machines and making go carts with all my mates. Personally, I think that I had it much better but anyway............

By all accounts, the adults that come over are having a dandy ol time, hiking through scrub whilst sloshed, pressing flowers and taking endless photos of rocks and dirt and then boring everyone to tears with the slideshows - good luck to them. I wanted to know if there were any people who have emigrated with kids that are now or were teenagers that went completely off the rails, that went completely demonic and mental at any time after the big move.

Surely there must be people out there who have battled with wayward kids and Im wondering how you dealt with it in an unfamiliar territory and without the extended family support.

Cheers
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:13 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids gone feral?

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
but as I watch him thumping away on his computer
sounds like he is having plenty of fun to me. Maybe you should leave him to it, he probably doesn't like being watched
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
sounds like he is having plenty of fun to me. Maybe you should leave him to it, he probably doesn't like being watched

He could be talking to any number of weirdos on MSN but yeah, if a skinny, pallid and pimply kid is plugged in and tuned out, best let him get on with it eh?

Thanks for the input - I'll remember it always.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Its the parents who are to blame.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I have a nephew whos 12 and he moved over here with his Mum and Dad (my brother) four years ago. Good kid but bit on the quiet side. Any way he goes to school, is picked up in the shiny family sedan, comes home and watches TV and goes on MSN to friends hes been at school all day with???!!! They do their best to keep him busy but they have to work but as I watch him thumping away on his computer with his i pod on and I couldnt help but think............what a crap life for a youngen.

Dont load ya weapons yet, its just, I couldnt help thinking that he does everything with his parents. They take him to concerts and to the beach (yawn) and to little towns for the weekend but I cant help thinking that what this kid needs is a couple of weeks on the old estate back home. When I was that age I was playing on scaffolding 4 floors up, vandalising bubblegum machines and making go carts with all my mates. Personally, I think that I had it much better but anyway............

By all accounts, the adults that come over are having a dandy ol time, hiking through scrub whilst sloshed, pressing flowers and taking endless photos of rocks and dirt and then boring everyone to tears with the slideshows - good luck to them. I wanted to know if there were any people who have emigrated with kids that are now or were teenagers that went completely off the rails, that went completely demonic and mental at any time after the big move.

Surely there must be people out there who have battled with wayward kids and Im wondering how you dealt with it in an unfamiliar territory and without the extended family support.

Cheers
Surely by coming to Oz they are giving their kid "a better life"

On a serious note, this is all too often what happens in this country as it is often too hot to play outside, there is nothing interesting on the TV or no other kids are playing outside either. Living in big houses on manicured estates can actually be quite isolating for children as their friends can often be quite a distance from each other making it difficult to meet up after school.

Unfortunately the only way to combat it is to shephard them around to after school activites or their friends which can be difficult if both parents work.

I literally have to force my kids outside some days to stop them monging in front of the computer so I can understand your frustration.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
Surely by coming to Oz they are giving their kid "a better life"

On a serious note, this is all too often what happens in this country as it is often too hot to play outside, there is nothing interesting on the TV or no other kids are playing outside either. Living in big houses on manicured estates can actually be quite isolating for children as their friends can often be quite a distance from each other making it difficult to meet up after school.

Unfortunately the only way to combat it is to shephard them around to after school activites or their friends which can be difficult if both parents work.

I literally have to force my kids outside some days to stop them monging in front of the computer so I can understand your frustration.
Monging???? Are you serious
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't understand the, "It's often too hot to play outside.", statement. This could be said about the north of the country but it doesn't apply to the rest. My sons came in from school, threw off the uniform, put on the jeans or whaever, grabbed something to eat and disappeared, only to reappear at dinnertime.Weekends, after soccer etc, and holidays they were out and came home when they were hungry. Before anyone says but that was years ago, my grandchildren do exactly the same thing. If a child stays inside all the time it's only because parents don't tell them to get out and play with their mates.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
Monging???? Are you serious
Yes, why do you ask.

It must mean something different to you Northerners.

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Don't understand the, "It's often too hot to play outside.", statement. This could be said about the north of the country but it doesn't apply to the rest. My sons came in from school, threw off the uniform, put on the jeans or whaever, grabbed something to eat and disappeared, only to reappear at dinnertime.Weekends, after soccer etc, and holidays they were out and came home when they were hungry. Before anyone says but that was years ago, my grandchildren do exactly the same thing. If a child stays inside all the time it's only because parents don't tell them to get out and play with their mates.
You've obviously not spent too much time in Perth at the height of summer. You certainly wouldn't be putting jeans on to go out to play!!

Most people are stay indoors behind closed curtains with the air con on to avoid getting their skin burnt off.

I do tell my children to go out, but I won't force them if it is over 35 degrees which it can be for weeks on end here in Perth. Before daylight saving finished it was still up in the mid 30's at 4 and 5 oclock. Not the best conditions for kids to be running around in IMO.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:04 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Times have changed ... along with the UK climate. In the UK its now too cold and wet to play outdoors ... and thats nearly all year round.

Just had a great long weekend in Perth. Weather was perfect for playing outdoors. The parks were full of people having BBQs, playing football, flying kites etc etc
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
You've obviously not spent too much time in Perth at the height of summer. You certainly wouldn't be putting jeans on to go out to play!! Most people are stay indoors behind closed curtains with the air con on to avoid getting their skin burnt off.
I live in South Coast NSW and there are very few days of the year when it's 'too hot' to play outside. One of the things that attracted us to this town (and we first visited it in January) was the number of kids outside playing, riding bikes, on skateboards, walking towards the beach with boogie/surf boards under their arms. We're still in early Autumn here and there's a definite tang in the air now as winter approaches - plenty of kids in jeans and hoodies. If the weather's so shit and oppresive in Perth - why don't you do one?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

when I lived in the UK there were very few days when it was too cold or wet to play outside yet we hear that on here many times.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
I live in South Coast NSW and there are very few days of the year when it's 'too hot' to play outside. One of the things that attracted us to this town (and we first visited it in January) was the number of kids outside playing, riding bikes, on skateboards, walking towards the beach with boogie/surf boards under their arms. We're still in early Autumn here and there's a definite tang in the air now as winter approaches - plenty of kids in jeans and hoodies. If the weather's so shit and oppresive in Perth - why don't you do one?
Why don't I do one what??

I actually didn't mind the weather here in Perth the first few years, but I have come to dislike it.

Yes, this weekend has been perfect, high 20's and clear days with cool nights. I wish it was like this all the time.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:57 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately in many areas of the UK it's just not safe to let your kids play out regardless of the weather

Both my daughters are still in the UK and neither of them will let their kids play out in the street and taking them to the local park is no longer an option because the council has neglected it so much that the kids playground had glass taped to the slide and syringes buried in the sandpit.

Add that to the drug dealers posing as ice cream men at the park gates and you have no competition to the outside lifestyle the majority of kids enjoy over here.

Loz x
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
Unfortunately in many areas of the UK it's just not safe to let your kids play out regardless of the weather

Both my daughters are still in the UK and neither of them will let their kids play out in the street and taking them to the local park is no longer an option because the council has neglected it so much that the kids playground had glass taped to the slide and syringes buried in the sandpit.

Add that to the drug dealers posing as ice cream men at the park gates and you have no competition to the outside lifestyle the majority of kids enjoy over here.

Loz x
So what is different here?....apart from perceptions.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:08 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
So what is different here?....apart from perceptions.
I don't know where you live Grayling so I can't comment but the kids where we are are happy and safe. Our local parks and green spaces are clean, tidy and well kept and well used and looked after by the people that use them.

Our sports areas are the same (and free!!!!!!!!!!!!) and because they are well used the 'undesirables' have not, as yet, moved in on the kids. Maybe that will come (is it really inevitable?) but up to now the community feel and pride in the place is keeping the area safe enough for any mum to let the kids just enjoy being kids.

Loz x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.