Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK bank account

Keeping a UK bank account

Old May 9th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Keeping a UK bank account

Originally Posted by dave99
I kept a HSBC account open, but after about a year here I had some trouble accessing it online. I called the bank and was told the only way I could get access again would be togo into a branch. I explained that I was now in australia but after speaking to other mangers they still insisted that the only way would be to go into a branch.

I havent been able to access it since
I'm in a similar position. Left our HSBC accounts cashed up and open so we could transact easily from OS. HSBC decided we needed new cards, posted the PINS to Aust.(where they also send statements) but insist we turn up at the branch to collect the cards.. freakin annoying.

HSBC Aust. (Bris.)... sorry sir, can't help you.. would you like to become a premium customer (so we can tell you nicely how we can't help you)
Old May 9th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
I have been phoning around and it seems that any account opened with a building society after 2004 has to be closed if you leave the country.

The banks, on the other hand, don't have a problem with you leaving the country and will send all statements etc to Australia.

Thanks for all the replies.
I would have thought the only building society left in the UK is Nationwide (all the other big names demutualised in the 1990's when those with accounts decided they wanted free shares).

I only opened my account with Nationwide in late 2005 and they have had no problems with me having an Aussie address
Old May 9th 2010, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

It's Alliance & Leicester I am having the problems with.
Old May 9th 2010, 3:47 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craig_m67

HSBC Aust. (Bris.)... sorry sir, can't help you.. would you like to become a premium customer (so we can tell you nicely how we can't help you)
HSBC here in Ikebukuro will only consider us as customers if I/we deposit TEN MILLION YEN with them - that's not joint accounts either which they don't do full stop!

Their branch offshore is in Jersey and there is no sign of any form of depositors' compensation scheme.
Old May 9th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
The UK building sociteies don´t allow non residents to have accounts.You can, if you want, have an account in say Nationwide Isle of Man. This kind of account doesn´t allow cheques or credit cards; it´s basically if you want to have your savings offshore with interest paid without deduction of tax. The normal high street banks in the Uk have no problem with your having an account when you are non resident. I have had one with Lloyds and have been non resident for over 40 years now, and manage everything via the internet with them.
if you already have a Nationwide account you can keep it when you move abroad no problem, especially with internet banking. We did this.

If you want an account in the UK then open one before you leave.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by craig_m67
I'm in a similar position. Left our HSBC accounts cashed up and open so we could transact easily from OS. HSBC decided we needed new cards, posted the PINS to Aust.(where they also send statements) but insist we turn up at the branch to collect the cards.. freakin annoying.

I am sure HSBC UK posted mine to me... just checking wallet... yep, I got a new credit card in 2007, and a debit card in 2009.

Old May 10th 2010, 1:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am sure HSBC UK posted mine to me... just checking wallet... yep, I got a new credit card in 2007, and a debit card in 2009.
They post mine and the Mrs' too.
Old May 10th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Must be just the Alliance & Leicester who won't accept it then
Old May 10th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A&L now Santander so are going through some changes. I have had some issues recently because of this.

Transferring an account from A&L to Abbey (both now Santander but offering dif. deals) was a nightmare because they were changing their systems - kept getting different information from different people!!!!
Old May 10th 2010, 8:52 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

A&L and the whole Santander lot are becoming mega strict about conditions for even opening an account offshore - I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole now. Getting bad press on MSE back home too.