Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keep changing my mind

Keep changing my mind

Old May 8th 2005, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Default Keep changing my mind

Can anyone help me! My husband has spent months getting this TRA thing together, and as soon as he is about to send it off, I have completely gone cold on the idea of moving to Australia. But as soon as I start thinking about how our children will have a better quality of life, I get really guilty and think maybe we should just go and see for ourselves if it is what we should do. My husband and kids really want to go, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there in a similar situation, where I like life here, and dont know what to do!!!
Old May 8th 2005, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: Keep changing my mind

Well it could be nerves, but maybe its worth getting the visa anyway, especially if you are in a position to apply for it now - and then you can check out whether you like it on not in 12 months or so on a validation trip....

SS
Old May 8th 2005, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
Can anyone help me! My husband has spent months getting this TRA thing together, and as soon as he is about to send it off, I have completely gone cold on the idea of moving to Australia. But as soon as I start thinking about how our children will have a better quality of life, I get really guilty and think maybe we should just go and see for ourselves if it is what we should do. My husband and kids really want to go, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there in a similar situation, where I like life here, and dont know what to do!!!
i sometimes feel like that but it hasnt stopped me from applying for the visa. As my husband says in ten years time we dont want to be thinking what might have been. And you can always come home
toni
Old May 8th 2005, 3:19 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g-man
i sometimes feel like that but it hasnt stopped me from applying for the visa. As my husband says in ten years time we dont want to be thinking what might have been. And you can always come home
toni
Get the TRAsent of then get your visa, at least then this gives you the freedom of choice, although it has cost you money, at least then if you do make a firm decision you still have the option to still go. Without the visa you have no choice.

at least this way you will have no regrets whatever your decision.

Go for it.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:00 pm
CMT
Forum Regular

CMT is on a distinguished road

I am totally the same, my husband has a job to go to out there and they pay all costs to get us there, my biggest concern tho is money! My husband has a good job here and I earn a decent wage, between us we live quite well and have 2 kids, out there we would be dropping to one wage and would be about £25k worse off a year, and although I think it may be a better outdoor life/climate for the kids I wonder whether the change in cashflow will change other things that we are used to here!!!! So sorry, can't help there!
Old May 8th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Keep changing my mind

Hi there, I have felt the exact same as yourself, we are at the final hurdle and I sometimes feel like saying forget it, not for the fact of not wanting to go to Australia but because of the stress of it all and waiting at every level for news from our agent.
But the way i look at it better life hopefully for our daughter, and if we dont go we will always wonder what if.
I think you have to give it a bash if you dont like it you can always come home.
Carole
Old May 8th 2005, 8:57 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Keep changing my mind

Hi there...I also feel the same, my hubbies is desperate to go...my 18 year old daughter is now not sure as got a boyfriend, my 16 year old daughter, when i asked her last week to look at weather for amsterdam, as i had a mad weekend for my friends 40th..........couldnt find the weather anywhere under H!! on teletext...thought it was Hamsterdam!!!!!, so she will be fine and my 4 year old daughter thinks Perth is near Roydon in Essex!!!

Ive been saying yes all along now really not sure! havent told anyone as keep changing my mind!!! I will be devastated if my eldest stays as shes my best friend but if i dont go the others will be upset and my hubby prob go without me hes that set on it!

ive all of a sudden become in love with england, time of year makes it worse because summer is on its way and spring is lovely............

HOWEVER:...This is what ive decided.....As you prob know you have 5 years to go, our visa states(if we get it, sent last week finally), we have to have lived there (perth), for 2 out of the five years so i am definately going to do the two years and then apply for permanent residency to be able to come and go FOREVER!!!!!!

If i do change my mind then if wont matter and I will have had a brill 2 years!!!

Think of it like that and you will be fine and im sure once we get there, there will be no looking back!

Schhhhhhh dont tell my hubbie!
pm me if want a chat,, where you hoping to stay?

Dawn x

Old May 8th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CMT
between us we live quite well and have 2 kids, out there we would be dropping to one wage and would be about £25k worse off a year, and although I think it may be a better outdoor life/climate for the kids I wonder whether the change in cashflow will change other things that we are used to here
For what it's worth, I think you're right to be concerned about the financial side. As for the better life for the kids, yes, I do believe that potentially it could be an excellent place to grow up, but you have to bear in mind that the outdoor life carries its own risks, namely skin cancer and that if your kids get a lot of support and (without getting all sentimental) love, from relatives here then that will be a big loss to them. I worry too whether there will be the same opportunities for young adults there as here.
Old May 9th 2005, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi there...I also feel the same, my hubbies is desperate to go...my 18 year old daughter is now not sure as got a boyfriend, my 16 year old daughter, when i asked her last week to look at weather for amsterdam, as i had a mad weekend for my friends 40th..........couldnt find the weather anywhere under H!! on teletext...thought it was Hamsterdam!!!!!, so she will be fine and my 4 year old daughter thinks Perth is near Roydon in Essex!!!

Ive been saying yes all along now really not sure! havent told anyone as keep changing my mind!!! I will be devastated if my eldest stays as shes my best friend but if i dont go the others will be upset and my hubby prob go without me hes that set on it!

ive all of a sudden become in love with england, time of year makes it worse because summer is on its way and spring is lovely............

HOWEVER:...This is what ive decided.....As you prob know you have 5 years to go, our visa states(if we get it, sent last week finally), we have to have lived there (perth), for 2 out of the five years so i am definately going to do the two years and then apply for permanent residency to be able to come and go FOREVER!!!!!!

If i do change my mind then if wont matter and I will have had a brill 2 years!!!

Think of it like that and you will be fine and im sure once we get there, there will be no looking back!

Schhhhhhh dont tell my hubbie!
pm me if want a chat,, where you hoping to stay?

Dawn x
Hi there, you really made me laugh about your daughter looking for Hamsterdam!!!!! I would pm you, but I have no idea how to do that!
We are (if we go) heading for the sunshine coast in Queensland. We went out there for christmas to see friends, and my hubbie fell in love with the place. I was a bit gutted that christmas went past us as if it was just another hot day in paradise, and I must say that christmas is the best for me!!(never really did grow up)!!
for every positive thought I have at the mo, there seems to be a negative attached. It is really anoying!
I know what you mean about loving England at the moment as well, and I am being really divvy at the moment and picturing it all as if its the last time I will see it. (only just ready to send TRA off)!!!!!
Anyway thanks for your words of wisdom!
Old May 9th 2005, 9:05 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
For what it's worth, I think you're right to be concerned about the financial side. As for the better life for the kids, yes, I do believe that potentially it could be an excellent place to grow up, but you have to bear in mind that the outdoor life carries its own risks, namely skin cancer and that if your kids get a lot of support and (without getting all sentimental) love, from relatives here then that will be a big loss to them. I worry too whether there will be the same opportunities for young adults there as here.
Hi,

We went through all these emotions too! We have almost been here for two years and it honestly doesn't feel like it. We will be applying soon for Australian citizenship. I really can't believe it's gone so quick. I think it is a great place to grow up, we enjoy the lifestyle. However, I didn't ever think that we would have a better life, just different. I don't think (and it's only my opinion) that the same opportunities for young adults are here in Australia. Why? Because I think Europe is a more hip hop happing place than anything Australia can offer, that's why a lot of young Australians are over there. My eldest recons she will go back to England once she has completed uni which thank goodness is not for a little while yet. What I'm trying to say is everyone appears to have the same concerns and what it boils down to is time goes so quickly it's worth giving your dreams a go because before you turn around a few more years have gone past.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Marie
Old May 9th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Milo
I don't think (and it's only my opinion) that the same opportunities for young adults are here in Australia. Why? Because I think Europe is a more hip hop happing place than anything Australia can offer, that's why a lot of young Australians are over there. My eldest recons she will go back to England once she has completed uni which thank goodness is not for a little while yet. What I'm trying to say is everyone appears to have the same concerns and what it boils down to is time goes so quickly it's worth giving your dreams a go because before you turn around a few more years have gone past.
Thanks for that. Having my kids grow up and leave the country because of the lack of opportunities is not something I would want to happen, particularly since they would be leaving my adopted country rather than my native country.

The other issue is that Australia isn't a dream for me, ie, it's not something I long for. We'd be returning there partly for family support and partly because I'm at a dead end career wise and we could leave cheaply there while I retrain, start a business or whatever. If the family support wasn't there I doubt I'd be considering it.
Old May 10th 2005, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn

Surely you mean Australian citizenship - not permanent residency?

Jeremy
Old May 10th 2005, 8:54 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Keep changing my mind

opps...thanks for that Jeremy, yes I did mean Australian citizenship!
Dawn

Originally Posted by JAJ
Surely you mean Australian citizenship - not permanent residency?

Jeremy