kalgoorlie

Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kalgoorlie

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Kalgoorlie is different from mining sites further to the north as many of the mines there are close to the town and a majority of people live in Kalgoorlie and commute. Support industries will also be mainly in town. FIFO is not common, unless for a select few of highly-skilled individuals. The deal for the OP would be common in Kalgoorlie
Thanks Zulu
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

LissiAlleman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

a friend of mine earns 40AUD per hour as an experienced (more than 10 years) car mechanic in Perth without accommodation. He sais that it is not a top wage but a good one. So I guess that 42AUD for the first 3 months plus accommodation on top is fine. It depends on how quick you can work your way up
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I actually don't mind Kal. I haven't lived there, but used to spend odd nights there a lot.

It can be a bit wild west, but it has it's charms.

It is expensive to live.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

callum1205 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again, response has been really helpful.
my job is an electrician and the job on offer is workshop based in kalgoorlie and accommodation is not paid for.
the job entails wiring up switchboards and control panels for the mines.
thanks again
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

85k is a wage. If Kal itself is not FIFO prices then the Op might get by: but Australia is not a cheap destination. If accomodation is thrown in then its not a bad deal by any standards.

Kal has a bit of novelty value but this could wear off in months.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it should be $40 + free accommodation. When the free accommodation runs out you should get extra to pay cover the extra costs.

Any idea how much will come off for the accommodation?

But if it's an opening your after to come over it might be better than nothing.

Keel.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

callum1205 is an unknown quantity at this point

The pay is $42 an hour with superannuation on top. There is very temp accommodation offered in the workshop but have been warned its very temporary for a single person and free if I want it but not for longer than 4 weeks. I dont want to live in the workshop, 50hrs a week is long enough. Accommodation has to be paid by myself.
thanks again folks
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

autawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

I lived in Kalgoorlie for a year, with my husband, he was earning around that figure, I wasn't working for the first few months and we were fine. We had to pay for accommodation too. You could probably go flatting with other expats which would keep the cost down. I was ready to leave after the year but we had a great time there, its certainly not as rough as some outback towns, there are a lot of familys living there. Has quite a few shops, a great sports centre with gym, pool etc which wasn't to expensive at all, heaps of bars and some really nice restaurants, if you a young single guy you will have a ball.
From memory it was around 6 hours drive to Perth, we used to go to Esperance quite a lot which was 3-4 hours. Groceries are expensive but you kind of expect that.

I was reluctant to go, but glad we went as it was a great experience living somewhere different

Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point is not so much whether you can survive on that wage but more whether it is a fair rate or the job to compensate for living there.

It is probably just as easy to earn that amount whilst living in a more desirable location.