kalgoorlie

Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

callum1205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kalgoorlie

Hi folks,
I have a possible job opportunity in Kalgoorlie. I am still in the UK in quite a good job. I have heard varying reports on Kalgoorlie which has left me very confused on whether to accept or not.
The job is on a residential basis and not fifo and pays around $40 an hour. Superannuation will come off this as well as accommodation rental.
Any info would be very welcome.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kalgoorlie

Originally Posted by callum1205
Hi folks,
I have a possible job opportunity in Kalgoorlie. I am still in the UK in quite a good job. I have heard varying reports on Kalgoorlie which has left me very confused on whether to accept or not.
The job is on a residential basis and not fifo and pays around $40 an hour. Superannuation will come off this as well as accommodation rental.
Nowhere near enough.....you would need triple that to live there

In my opinion of course

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 26th 2014 at 11:51 am.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nowhere near enough.....you would need triple that to live there

In my opinion of course
Agreed..only visited there for a few days, not worked there, but its a rough arse mining town. Need at least $100/hr to work there.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies folks, when u say u need a lot more to live in kal is it because its expensive or so rough.
cheers
Old Jan 26th 2014, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies folks, when u say u need a lot more to live in kal is it because its expensive or so rough.
cheers
Both, and as the job is not FIFO, you would be paying a lot of get out of there for a weekend or long break. You would need those breaks too. I think it's about a 4-5 hour drive to the coastohmy:.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

LissiAlleman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I agree with you bitzenpces! When I travelled around Australia on my Working Holiday Visa I spend about 2,5 months in Kalgoorlie because I got a well paid job there in the mines (just some kitchen work - nothing you would need certain qualifications for). It was much better paid than in many other places and I also got accommodation and food for free. Jobs are not very well paid when you are a young person from overseas (I am from Germany) who is travelling around and you are only looking for short term jobs. I also thought that it would be a nice experience for a couple of weeks to work in the outback and I could save quite a bit of money because there is really not much to do . I have to say that I never regeretted working and livingin Kalgoorlie but I was so happy when I finally could leave after 2,5 months and go back to "civilisation". Here is a German text with a couple of photos and infos about Kalgoorlie http://www.in-australien.com/kalgoorlie-boulder_1014829 - it describes the place pretty good and gives a good impression (put it in goodle translator if you want to read it in English). It is really rough there, people seem to be a bit careful about strangers, it is very hot and not much to do during your days off work. How long do you want to live and work there? If it is only for a little while you should be fine but I would be careful to decide withoput having been there before, if you can really imagine living there for a few years.

Greets
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
I quite like the place. There is enough to see and do and people are friendly. It can get super hot - although dry heat so bearable. Esperance is the nearest coast - 3.5hrs drive on a good road

That salary is too low though - especially as it includes super and accommodation. It would be doable if this was not the case
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
Hi there. A few observations:

Rents are high in Kal, if your employer is providing a house but taking that out of your wage, ask how much that will be.
As mentioned, it gets very hot but relative to Perth, the mean average temp is only slightly higher (25.2 Kal, 24.7 Perth) and millions of people survive it Humidity is a bit lower in Kal, rainfall is much, much lower.
In general, Perth people would want a higher salary to work in Kalgoorlie, $40 an hour is too low. I know it depends what your actual job is, but if you're working in a skilled occupation that is in demand in WA, then your prospective employer is taking the piss with $40 (less than) per hour.
There are heaps of pubs in Kalgoorlie
Brothels are controlled but legal.
Local seem very friendly (not just the working girls)
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, really appreciate everyones opinions. I have emailed the employer about superannuation and accommodation as this wasnt made clear. I was told its a residential fole so took it I had to gt my own accommodation. I am an electrician so not sure if this is going rate but was told the initial rate of $42 an hour will be reviewed after 3 months.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies, really appreciate everyones opinions. I have emailed the employer about superannuation and accommodation as this wasnt made clear. I was told its a residential fole so took it I had to gt my own accommodation. I am an electrician so not sure if this is going rate but was told the initial rate of $42 an hour will be reviewed after 3 months.
One of the mods (old sparkles) is a sparkie, she might be able to comment on the salary.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
One of the mods (old sparkles) is a sparkie, she might be able to comment on the salary.
$42 would be alright in Adelaide If that's mine or oil/gas I would say it's low. Annually you should be looking at $130k - $200k I think depending on rota pattern. You also wouldn't be expected to carry accommodation costs from what our guys tell me
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm not a sparkie, but a 40 hour week at that rate for a year is $87,360, which doesn't seem a lot when you think about how much it costs to have an electrician come to your house, or what someone might earn in the resources sector, especially in WA. As the job is residential, does it mean that the OP is on call 24/7?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
the role is constant dayshift role 7 to 5 workshop based in kalgoorlie, 50 hrs per week. Very temp accommodation will be supplied for a very short period of time.

cheers
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
the role is constant dayshift role 7 to 5 workshop based in kalgoorlie, 50 hrs per week. Very temp accommodation will be supplied for a very short period of time.

cheers
When you say 50 hours per week, do you get paid for 50 hours? Have you been told about breaks (morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea), as usually people don't get paid for breaks. Is it a contract job? If so, you don't normally get paid for sick days, public holidays and holiday. If you don't have a permanent resident visa, you need to pay for health insurance policy.

What are your hobbies? If you've got any energy left after working a 50 hour week, will Kalgoorlie provide for your leisure time?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
$42 would be alright in Adelaide If that's mine or oil/gas I would say it's low. Annually you should be looking at $130k - $200k I think depending on rota pattern. You also wouldn't be expected to carry accommodation costs from what our guys tell me
Kalgoorlie is different from mining sites further to the north as many of the mines there are close to the town and a majority of people live in Kalgoorlie and commute. Support industries will also be mainly in town. FIFO is not common, unless for a select few of highly-skilled individuals. The deal for the OP would be common in Kalgoorlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.