Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just read the moving back to the UK threads...

Just read the moving back to the UK threads...

Old May 5th 2004, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just read the moving back to the UK threads...

Some very interesting stories there and well worth visiting even before going through the application process.

Some well reasoned and balance arguments for and against staying in Oz.

My theory on the whole subject boils down to four things:

1) Research everything beforehand...from the application process to the cities and suburbs you like the look of.

2) Give the place time...there is no *set in stone* timeframe for living in Oz before making a decision to stay or return.

3) Ignore the judgemental view of others if you've made you're decision to return. It's your life.

4) Most importantly...don't expect too much from the move down under, let it evolve & see what occurs.

Just my thoughts, no particular reason for the post.

Three Legs
Old May 5th 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

estarriol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just read the moving back to the UK threads...

Originally posted by Three Legs
Some very interesting stories there and well worth visiting even before going through the application process.

Some well reasoned and balance arguments for and against staying in Oz.

My theory on the whole subject boils down to four things:

1) Research everything beforehand...from the application process to the cities and suburbs you like the look of.

2) Give the place time...there is no *set in stone* timeframe for living in Oz before making a decision to stay or return.

3) Ignore the judgemental view of others if you've made you're decision to return. It's your life.

4) Most importantly...don't expect too much from the move down under, let it evolve & see what occurs.

Just my thoughts, no particular reason for the post.

Three Legs

Great post, good advice.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:07 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just read the moving back to the UK threads...

Originally posted by estarriol
Great post, good advice.
Yeah, ditto that.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:10 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

good post here as well(just the FIRST posting)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=227788
Old May 5th 2004, 12:16 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I remember watching some TV show back in Australia that depicted the life and times of an English family who migrated to Australia, then eventually "un-migrated" back to the UK.

The reasons given where many; homesickness, a feeling of not fitting in, etc, but one stood out to me as being odd at the time:

Too much blue sky!
Old May 5th 2004, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you just feel sometimes people are already waiting for you to take the fall...

I mean, we haven't even left yet and already there's doubters.

You can see them queing up waiting in the arrivals lounge at Heathrow one year down the line...

"Told you so"

I'm not sure whether it's a jealousy thing, wish they had the balls to do it / envy attitude or what.

We'll give it everything to make it work but we won't cut our noses off to spite our faces. If it doesn't work...it doesn't work...endex.

For the record...99.9% of our friends and family are behind us.

Three Legs
Old May 5th 2004, 12:21 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Three Legs
Don't you just feel sometimes people are already waiting for you to take the fall...

I mean, we haven't even left yet and already there's doubters.

You can see them queing up waiting in the arrivals lounge at Heathrow one year down the line...

"Told you so"

I'm not sure whether it's a jealousy thing, wish they had the balls to do it / envy attitude or what.

We'll give it everything to make it work but we won't cut our noses off to spite our faces. If it doesn't work...it doesn't work...endex.

For the record...99.9% of our friends and family are behind us.

Three Legs
Same here. Although my workmates are behind us, Mrs M's are sooo negative I just can't believe it. Yes, you have to think about what if it doesn't work out but you don't want somebody asking you that every day
Originally posted by Ulujain
Too much blue sky!
Whaaaaaaa?
Old May 5th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

I just dont want to have to apologise for coming back! We are only going....for a while and dont know how long for ......but its very difficult explaining that especially with the kids - We have said a year and see what happens. doesnt stop the inevitable 'so whens the farewell bash then?' and trying to put the 'emigrate' label on us
Old May 5th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally think that the people who are negative and think can't wait to see you fail are the really jealous ones. You're doing something they may only dream about and haven't got the balls to put a dream into reality!!
I lived in the States about 10 years ago and all my "friends" had a bet that I would be home within 3 months! When I wasn't they were proud of me and one friend said that they were jealous as they couldn't have done that!!!
Why not? If I can make my dream a reality whats stopping everyone else!!