Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just Moved to Syd .... Need advice on rental locations?

Just Moved to Syd .... Need advice on rental locations?

Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

NewinOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Moved to Syd .... Need advice on rental locations?

Hi All,

I've just moved to Sydney and i'm looking to rent a studio / one bed flat. I've spent the last few days selecting potential locations.

I'm just wondered if anyone can provide me their opinion on the following areas:

- Potts Point
- Elizabeth Bay
- Rushcutters Bay

Looks like I need to sign up to a six month lease, so hoping to be careful where I end up
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Moved to Syd .... Need advice on rental locations?

They're all adjoining suburbs and practically identical so they're all the same really.

You have to run the gauntlet of Kings Cross to get to both Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay whereas Rushcutters Bay is just past the Cross. Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay consist of literally thousands of flats so you won't be alone. Plenty of cafes, shops and restaurants. Can be noisy if you're close to the Cross itself.

They're all perfectly OK for singles (as long as you're not offended by having to walk past the odd strip club and methadone clinic to get to the station ).
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:02 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
They're all adjoining suburbs and practically identical so they're all the same really.

You have to run the gauntlet of Kings Cross to get to both Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay whereas Rushcutters Bay is just past the Cross. Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay consist of literally thousands of flats so you won't be alone. Plenty of cafes, shops and restaurants. Can be noisy if you're close to the Cross itself.

They're all perfectly OK for singles (as long as you're not offended by having to walk past the odd strip club and methadone clinic to get to the station ).
I agree with that especially the can be noisy. From rushcutter bay you can walk up the hill to edgecliff station
all have nice parts and not so nice parts inner east is not cheap but not at the top end either.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

NewinOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response. So are there any alternative locations you can suggest that I should consider?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:49 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

All I can suggest is that you ensure it's close to a train station (usually preferable to bus in Sydney) and convenient location for work.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Homebush Bay (Wentworth Point) has some great apartments & great community......public transport isn't that hot though!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

All those suburbs are also walking distance from the CBD and the walk in to work through the parks is delightful. I've stayed there many times while working in Sydney. The proximity of the Cross is a little off-putting but unless you're taking the train you don't necessarily need to go there.