Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victorian Elections

Victorian Elections

Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Victorian Elections

It would be nice to have a change of government. I don't think it's healthy to have the same party in power for more than a decade. But Ted Baillieu is not a man I'd like in charge.

Just watched the Victorian Leaders' Debate and he accuses Brumby of this that and the other and then does exactly the same. Plus he couldn't keep his mouth shut; interrupting all the time. Not just Brumby but the journos as well.

Loved the bit when the journo was asking a Brumby a question in response and Baillieu starts mouthing off over the top. Brumby just looks to the side and says "That's just silly".

Not sure how to vote at the moment. I do want a change for the better but I don't get the impression Ted will be able to deliver the 'better' bit.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Victorian Elections

From what I have read he is anti-development and pro-suburban sprawl. So he is in bed with the rich yuppy nimbies who dont want any big buildings or trains near them. Cause you know big building block out their views and trains bring in the riff raff.

Labor has not done too bad in Victoria in comparison to NSW and QLD. The Victorians Labor party is more left wing and has been investing in vital infrastructure, which has helped to boost economic growth.

The right wing faction dominates NSW and has blocked all attempts for any meaningful infrastructure to be built - cause ya know it costs money.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
From what I have read he is anti-development and pro-suburban sprawl. So he is in bed with the rich yuppy nimbies who dont want any big buildings or trains near them. Cause you know big building block out their views and trains bring in the riff raff.

Labor has not done too bad in Victoria in comparison to NSW and QLD. The Victorians Labor party is more left wing and has been investing in vital infrastructure, which has helped to boost economic growth.

The right wing faction dominates NSW and has blocked all attempts for any meaningful infrastructure to be built - cause ya know it costs money.
Labor in Qld has been building a lot as well.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I've got very few issues with the way the state has been run. Public transport / Myki would be my only minor gripes...and really they are minor because I think we probably still have the best transport system in Australia - not being able to squeeze onto a train once or twice a week isn't such a big deal.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

I agree Labor has done well here. There are a few niggles. Policing being one area that needs improvement. Public Transport being another. But I don't get the impression Baillieu will do any better. He comes across as all talk.

I think I may have to vote Labor for the lower house and Liberal for the upper.

I think Liberal voters need to be careful how they do their preferences. They really need to think about what'll happen to their vote if their boy doesn't get in (i.e. if they put Green before Labor then we could see a lot more Greens in parliament and the prospect of another parliament).
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:54 am
Account Closed

I just checked the voting of the upper house and below the line is Optional Preferential Voting. You only need to number 1 to 5. Any more than that is optional. This is a much better system than that used at the Federal level.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:13 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It would be nice to have a change of government. I don't think it's healthy to have the same party in power for more than a decade. But Ted Baillieu is not a man I'd like in charge.

Not sure how to vote at the moment. I do want a change for the better but I don't get the impression Ted will be able to deliver the 'better' bit.
Very similar sentiments here. Change is good, but never just for changes sake. I feel absolutely unispired at the thought of of Ted B & co running the show.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:44 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've got very few issues with the way the state has been run. Public transport / Myki would be my only minor gripes...and really they are minor because I think we probably still have the best transport system in Australia - not being able to squeeze onto a train once or twice a week isn't such a big deal.
I agree. Everytime I go to Melbourne I get the feeling that it is a city that has coped pretty darn well with population growth, unlike Sydney and certainly unlike Brisbane. When you consider that Brisbane has had hectares and hectares of new land to play with and they have jusy completely effed up the roads and public transport it makes you think that someone must be doing a fairly good job down there
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I agree Labor has done well here.
In 2000 Melbourne was far better than it currently is in 2010. From my experience Melbourne has gone backwards under a Labor govt.

Bring back Kennet!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:39 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how the road from Melbourne to where Brumby's mum lives is in fairly good nick, from thereon is has gone to sh1t, as have most other country roads.

Our local MP is a very good chap so I'll vote to get him back in, he's a Liberal.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of hijacking the thread, the Brisbane area has had massive infrastructure spending in the last couple of years. Bigger than I can ever remember. It has been, and still is, everywhere.

Tunnels:

$4.7 Billion Airport Link Tunnel : City to airport tunnel 4-6 lanes 6.7km (Under Construction)

Up to $3.2 Billion Kingsford Smith Drive Upgrade Tunnel? (Planning)

$2.2 Billion Clem7 Tunnel: Cross city under river tunnel, 4 lanes 6.8km (Complete)

$350 million Northern Link Tunnel: City to western suburbs tunnel 5km (Late Planning Stages)

Bridges:

$350 million + 1.53 Billion on connecting roads Gateway Bridge Duplication (Almost Complete)

$328 million Go Between Bridge (Complete)

$315 million Houghton Highway Bridge (Complete)

$63.3 million Kurilpa Bridge (Complete)

Busways:

$635 million Inner Northern Busway to RBH (Complete)

$400 million Eastern Busway Stage 1 (Under Construction)

$200 million Northern Busway to Windsor (Under Construction)

$226 million Boggo Rd Busway: Buranda - Uni of QLD (Complete)

Railways and Rail Tunnels:

$8 Billion Cross River Rail Tunnel, lines and stations (Planning)

$390 million Darra to Richlands (Under Construction)

$324 million Heavy rail extension – Robina to Varsity Lakes Railway Extension (Complete)

$298 million Caboolture to Beerburrum Duplication (Completed)

$256 million Salisbury to Kuraby Third Track

$189 million Corinda to Darra 3rd Track Project (Under Construction)

$72 million Helensvale to Robina Duplication

Springfield Heavy rail extension (Planning)

Highways:

$2.5 Billion Ipswich Motorway Upgrade - 6-8 lane motorway, new interchanges, 10km length(Under Construction)

$1.53 Billion Gateway Upgrade - 12km upgrade, 7km new (Under Construction)

$543 million Tugun Bypass

$420 million Pacific Motorway Nerang to Tugun (?)

$327 million Airport Roundabout and Flyover (Almost Complete)

$200 million Moreton Drive Airport Road (Complete)

Bruce Highway Blackspot Upgrades (Under Construction?)

Mt Lindesay Highway Upgrade (Under Construction)

Centenary Highway Upgrade (Under Construction)

$422 million Pacific Motorway Springwood (Under Construction)

$320 million Port of Brisbane Motorway upgrade (Approved)

And many more....

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 8th 2010 at 2:36 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Funny how the road from Melbourne to where Brumby's mum lives is in fairly good nick, from thereon is has gone to sh1t, as have most other country roads.

Our local MP is a very good chap so I'll vote to get him back in, he's a Liberal.
So which road are we talking about?

I have a small dilemma as our local Liberal MP is a good chap. I would prefer to see him win locally but would prefer not to see Baillieu win stately. I probably will go Liberal in the lower house but vote Labor second to avoid a vote transfer to the Green.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 8th 2010 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:39 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
At the risk of hijacking the thread, the Brisbane area has had massive infrastructure spending in the last couple of years. Bigger than I can ever remember. It has been, and still is, everywhere.

Tunnels:

$4.7 Billion Airport Link Tunnel : City to airport tunnel 4-6 lanes 6.7km (Under Construction)

Up to $3.2 Billion Kingsford Smith Drive Upgrade Tunnel? (Planning)

$2.2 Billion Clem7 Tunnel: Cross city under river tunnel, 4 lanes 6.8km (Complete)

$350 million Northern Link Tunnel: City to western suburbs tunnel 5km (Late Planning Stages)

Bridges:

$350 million + 1.53 Billion on connecting roads Gateway Bridge Duplication (Almost Complete)

$328 million Go Between Bridge (Complete)

$315 million Houghton Highway Bridge (Complete)

$63.3 million Kurilpa Bridge (Complete)

Busways:

$635 million Inner Northern Busway to RBH (Complete)

$400 million Eastern Busway Stage 1 (Under Construction)

$200 million Northern Busway to Windsor (Under Construction)

$226 million Boggo Rd Busway: Buranda - Uni of QLD (Complete)

Railways and Rail Tunnels:

$8 Billion Cross River Rail Tunnel, lines and stations (Planning)

$390 million Darra to Richlands (Under Construction)

$324 million Heavy rail extension – Robina to Varsity Lakes Railway Extension (Complete)

$298 million Caboolture to Beerburrum Duplication (Completed)

$256 million Salisbury to Kuraby Third Track

$189 million Corinda to Darra 3rd Track Project (Under Construction)

$72 million Helensvale to Robina Duplication

Springfield Heavy rail extension (Planning)

Highways:

$2.5 Billion Ipswich Motorway Upgrade - 6-8 lane motorway, new interchanges, 10km length(Under Construction)

$1.53 Billion Gateway Upgrade - 12km upgrade, 7km new (Under Construction)

$543 million Tugun Bypass

$420 million Pacific Motorway Nerang to Tugun (?)

$327 million Airport Roundabout and Flyover (Almost Complete)

$200 million Moreton Drive Airport Road (Complete)

Bruce Highway Blackspot Upgrades (Under Construction?)

Mt Lindesay Highway Upgrade (Under Construction)

Centenary Highway Upgrade (Under Construction)

$422 million Pacific Motorway Springwood (Under Construction)

$320 million Port of Brisbane Motorway upgrade (Approved)

And many more....
Hmmm, not really sure you understood my post. It's not about how much, it's about quality. Take the new Gateway intersection at Nudgee. Somehow it managed to turn what was the worst stretch of road in the whole of QLD (see RACQ Red Spot Survey from 07') into an even worse intersection since they opened the new Gateway! Unbelievable! I am yet to see one "road improvement" that does not negatively affect other roads around it. Road and town planners have no idea in QLD!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Hmmm, not really sure you understood my post. It's not about how much, it's about quality. Take the new Gateway intersection at Nudgee. Somehow it managed to turn what was the worst stretch of road in the whole of QLD (see RACQ Red Spot Survey from 07') into an even worse intersection since they opened the new Gateway! Unbelievable! I am yet to see one "road improvement" that does not negatively affect other roads around it. Road and town planners have no idea in QLD!
I wasn't directly addressing your post more #2, it just reminded me how much is going on. I continue to be amazed at it all. I knew you didn't mean quantity as nobody could miss it

I have no expertise on road planning so will leave that to you....I do think the nature of phased roads means that you do sometimes have to put up with crap while waiting for funding....ie Clem 7 waiting for airport link, gateway upgrade waiting for north of Nudgee section (it is approved now isn't it?) etc but as to their relative expertise I have no clue. Though I would have thought people transfer from overseas and interstate when designing/planning these large projects?

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 9th 2010 at 12:20 am.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by fish.01
I wasn't directly addressing your post more #2, it just reminded me how much is going on. I continue to be amazed at it all. I knew you didn't mean quantity as nobody could miss it

I have no expertise on road planning so will leave that to you....I do think the nature of phased roads means that you do sometimes have to put up with crap while waiting for funding....ie Clem 7 waiting for airport link, gateway upgrade waiting for north of Nudgee section (it is approved now isn't it?) etc but as to their relative expertise I have no clue. Though I would have thought people transfer from overseas and interstate when designing/planning these large projects?
A few examples of some of the madness in planning
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...04801&t=k&z=18
See how the entering traffic is trying to cross to far side lane and the existing traffic is trying to exit and cross over to the far left hand lane

same deal
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...04801&t=k&z=18

not to mention all of the 5 metre slip road lanes joining 100km highways! You don't have to be a road planner to realise their planning was sh!thouse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.