Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

Gonna have a bit of a rant

I hope to move to OZ and work as an electrician (Ive spent a lot of time researching it but am still unsure of area or what type of work as of yet but hopefully WA or SA) and I`m currently in contact with lots of recruitment companies, all of which have so far promised much but delivered little

I decieded to phone round all the companies that had advertised the jobs which I had applied for today to check on progress, see if there are any developments etc and this is how it went:

Company 1: Told there had been no developments yet but should know more by the end of next week (have been told this several times before)

Company 2: Person I needed to speak with was in a meeting but details were taken and a promise that I would be called back with an update once they were free (I wasn't)

Company 3: Spoke with receptionist but couldn't get talking to the recruiter (always the case) but there had been no new developments and if there were they would be in touch

Company 4: Office phone don't seem to be connecting, two of the recruiters numbers goes straight to voicemail and the number appears dead, a quick check of the website would suggest that the third person no longer works there (all negative signs)

Company 5: Recruiter that needed to speak with was off so spoke their colleague who was actually quite helpful but couldn't provide any updates (message left to call me tomorrow)

It seems that while they are advertising jobs (all of which they are convinced I am a good match for) none of them actually have any clients but are simply hoping to find some who they can pair up a suitable candidate with

Its really frustrating as I have effectively put my life on hold to a point, I have been turning away some work as it will drag on to long (457s could/should be processed in around 3 months I have been lead to believe) and I`m in two minds about booking a stag party trip that I could/should be going on in October

When I talk with people about my plans most people are under the impression (I probably was my self until recently) that its dead easy and Australia is crying out for good quality workers that tick all the boxes. The picture painted is that if you fit the criteria then you`ll be presented with a Visa and whisked off to your new life in the sun in your dream job with more money than you can spend

The reality is VERY different and the patience of a saint is required - rant over
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

I've come across that impression in Oz too, that we apply and way hey you're in but you're absolutly right it takes loads of resilience and a fair bit of money to get here. Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.

As for the recruiters, not sure about your situation but I found that when I walked in to temping agencies most of them were set up to help people who are on the dole, I think they get a kick back for every person they get off the dole. I'm not on it so most they wouldn't help me. The two that would didn't come to anything, they didn't seem to be very proactive. It was totally different to my UK experiences. Mabye you need to look at contacting potential employers direct?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions

ItsWhen I talk with people about my plans most people are under the impression (I probably was my self until recently) that its dead easy and Australia is crying out for good quality workers that tick all the boxes. The picture painted is that if you fit the criteria then you`ll be presented with a Visa and whisked off to your new life in the sun in your dream job with more money than you can spend

The reality is VERY different and the patience of a saint is required - rant over
The reality is very different as many in OZ are unemployed, far higher than the figures show. The unemployment rate is around 5% but to be counted as EMPLOYED you need to work 2 hours in a fortnight!!!

Many people will vouch for how hard it is to get work here.

Trade work in particular Electricians needs a lot of licences, insurances, converting to australian qualifications.... and usually australain experience. Look at the forum for electricians, should be much info there. Many many tradies on the ground competing for jobs is the reality.

Lashings of cash when you arrive should be taken with a pinch of salt. Very expensive, some of the worlds most expensive cities.

Start afresh with what aussied-up qualifications you will actually need to work in OZ.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I hope to move to OZ and work as an electrician (Ive spent a lot of time researching it but am still unsure of area or what type of work as of yet but hopefully WA or SA) and I`m currently in contact with lots of recruitment companies, all of which have so far promised much but delivered little
So if you have done your research you'll know that your UK Electrical Qualifications aren't recognised in Australia. If not, there is a forum member Steve'O who is our "on the ground Sparky" and if you do a search will show several threads relating to what you need to do to become Australian compliant.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

It seems that while they are advertising jobs (all of which they are convinced I am a good match for) none of them actually have any clients but are simply hoping to find some who they can pair up a suitable candidate with
Unfortunately thats exactly what they do mate.

Australia is not as easy as peoples impressions may lead you to believe, theres a hell of a lot of belt tightenning going on here which would make it difficult for a recruitment agency to sell someone like yourself, overseas and unfortunately with insufficient Aussie credentials (as experienced as you may be the no-nonsence Aussie attitude will probably percieve you this way)

Electrician is on the SOL, have you not thought about going the PR route?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I decieded to phone round all the companies that had advertised the jobs which I had applied for today to check on progress, see if there are any developments etc and this is how it went:

Company 1: Told there had been no developments yet but should know more by the end of next week (have been told this several times before)

Company 2: Person I needed to speak with was in a meeting but details were taken and a promise that I would be called back with an update once they were free (I wasn't)

Company 3: Spoke with receptionist but couldn't get talking to the recruiter (always the case) but there had been no new developments and if there were they would be in touch

Company 4: Office phone don't seem to be connecting, two of the recruiters numbers goes straight to voicemail and the number appears dead, a quick check of the website would suggest that the third person no longer works there (all negative signs)

Company 5: Recruiter that needed to speak with was off so spoke their colleague who was actually quite helpful but couldn't provide any updates (message left to call me tomorrow)

Its really frustrating as I have effectively put my life on hold to a point, I have been turning away some work as it will drag on to long (457s could/should be processed in around 3 months I have been lead to believe) and I`m in two minds about booking a stag party trip that I could/should be going on in October

When I talk with people about my plans most people are under the impression (I probably was my self until recently) that its dead easy and Australia is crying out for good quality workers that tick all the boxes. The picture painted is that if you fit the criteria then you`ll be presented with a Visa and whisked off to your new life in the sun in your dream job with more money than you can spend

As you don't have a visa and I presume not a licence either, I am not in the least it surprised that you are not making progress. Skilled migration is the way to go for an electrician I think.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria

Australia is not as easy as peoples impressions may lead you to believe, theres a hell of a lot of belt tightenning going on here which would make it difficult for a recruitment agency to sell someone like yourself, overseas and unfortunately with insufficient Aussie credentials (as experienced as you may be the no-nonsence Aussie attitude will probably percieve you this way)

Not all of them, by any means. Clients pull jobs all the time, which means the recruiters are left to pick up the pieces and the candidates assume the recruiter is dodgy. Or, clients won't accept certain people when it comes to the crunch. I know of two very recent cases where candidates who were ideal fits on paper and after first interview were suddenly not 'the right team fit' once others in the company had met them. Funnily enough both of those candidates were non-white, non-Aussie. What does the recruiter say to the candidate in that situation? "Sorry, the employer is a racist idiot who can't look beyond the colour of your skin/your country of birth"? Of course they can't say that, and the employer is never dumb enough to put their reasons in writing.

And no, I'm not in recruitment and never have been.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
So if you have done your research you'll know that your UK Electrical Qualifications aren't recognised in Australia. If not, there is a forum member Steve'O who is our "on the ground Sparky" and if you do a search will show several threads relating to what you need to do to become Australian compliant.
I am only too well aware of this and had originally planned to do it all myself and come on a 176 but it just made more sense to find a company prepared to sponsor me on a 457 as it was much faster

Other perks included a "relocation package" where flights and shipping costs were covered and they also sorted out the retraining to Australian standards to gain the various licenses which is a minefield

From the info I have read on the forum it seems like the Aussies have just moved the goal posts yet again - is that the case or have I picked it up wrong?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carzinoz
I've come across that impression in Oz too, that we apply and way hey you're in but you're absolutly right it takes loads of resilience and a fair bit of money to get here. Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.

As for the recruiters, not sure about your situation but I found that when I walked in to temping agencies most of them were set up to help people who are on the dole, I think they get a kick back for every person they get off the dole. I'm not on it so most they wouldn't help me. The two that would didn't come to anything, they didn't seem to be very proactive. It was totally different to my UK experiences. Mabye you need to look at contacting potential employers direct?
Cheers carzinoz, so its not just me then......

I would/have contacted potential employers in OZ but most are reluctant to hire someone that they have never seen and is currently 9000 miles away (understandable) - thats where a recruitment company could bridge the gap, in theory anyway.....
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The reality is very different as many in OZ are unemployed, far higher than the figures show. The unemployment rate is around 5% but to be counted as EMPLOYED you need to work 2 hours in a fortnight!!!

Many people will vouch for how hard it is to get work here.

Trade work in particular Electricians needs a lot of licences, insurances, converting to australian qualifications.... and usually australain experience. Look at the forum for electricians, should be much info there. Many many tradies on the ground competing for jobs is the reality.

Lashings of cash when you arrive should be taken with a pinch of salt. Very expensive, some of the worlds most expensive cities.

Start afresh with what aussied-up qualifications you will actually need to work in OZ.
Yep, from the research I have done that appears to be the case, the wages are better than the UK but the cost of living will offset any gains, I have run the figures for my own personal circumstances and still believe I would be better off in Australia

I know the cities are expensive but to be honest I live an hour from the city now and prefer it that way, does living away from the city in Australia make a noticeable difference to the cost of living?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
As you don't have a visa and I presume not a licence either, I am not in the least it surprised that you are not making progress. Skilled migration is the way to go for an electrician I think.
I fully understand what is entailed but after sizing up my options I still believe this is the most suitable for a number of reasons, see post number 8
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there

I had originally planned to do the PR visa and jump through all the hoops myself but I kept seeing 457 sponsored jobs with relocation packages etc and it just made so much more sense (cheaper, faster, retraining included)
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almo
Not all of them, by any means. Clients pull jobs all the time, which means the recruiters are left to pick up the pieces and the candidates assume the recruiter is dodgy. Or, clients won't accept certain people when it comes to the crunch. I know of two very recent cases where candidates who were ideal fits on paper and after first interview were suddenly not 'the right team fit' once others in the company had met them. Funnily enough both of those candidates were non-white, non-Aussie. What does the recruiter say to the candidate in that situation? "Sorry, the employer is a racist idiot who can't look beyond the colour of your skin/your country of birth"? Of course they can't say that, and the employer is never dumb enough to put their reasons in writing.

And no, I'm not in recruitment and never have been.
Interesting - at least I`m white (and can muster a decent Aussie accent if required)
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I fully understand what is entailed but after sizing up my options I still believe this is the most suitable for a number of reasons, see post number 8
So keep on sending out those emails and complaining when you don't make any progress. Good strategy.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So keep on sending out those emails and complaining when you don't make any progress. Good strategy.
Or I could chuck away a fortune getting my own license via Vetassess and PR Visa, wait around 18 months for the privilege (last time I checked), pay all my own flights and associated relocation costs to arrive with a restricted license and no job (and probably little chance of getting one until I have some experience and an unrestricted license - potential catch 22)

I think I`ll take my chances with my current direction......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.