Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me or is this the "norm"?

It is very very rare for sparkies and other trades to get sponsored. Not impossible, but fantastically difficult. Also, there is no guarantee you will be offered any relocation package. I know people that work in areas that get sponsorship easy and didn't get any relocation help
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
As you don't have a visa and I presume not a licence either, I am not in the least it surprised that you are not making progress. Skilled migration is the way to go for an electrician I think.
Totally agree. It's hard enough for local people to get work.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The reality is very different as many in OZ are unemployed, far higher than the figures show. The unemployment rate is around 5% but to be counted as EMPLOYED you need to work 2 hours in a fortnight!!!

Many people will vouch for how hard it is to get work here.

Trade work in particular Electricians needs a lot of licences, insurances, converting to australian qualifications.... and usually australain experience. Look at the forum for electricians, should be much info there. Many many tradies on the ground competing for jobs is the reality.

Lashings of cash when you arrive should be taken with a pinch of salt. Very expensive, some of the worlds most expensive cities.

Start afresh with what aussied-up qualifications you will actually need to work in OZ.
I agree - Australia is definitely having its own little austerity. It shouldn't be with all its resources but all the profit from them goes into a few private hands so the unemployment is growing across the country. Same thing in Canada 7.3% unemployment and that's "official" figures so possible higher again in reality. We're all being mugged really.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Or I could chuck away a fortune getting my own license via Vetassess and PR Visa, wait around 18 months for the privilege (last time I checked), pay all my own flights and associated relocation costs to arrive with a restricted license and no job (and probably little chance of getting one until I have some experience and an unrestricted license - potential catch 22)

I think I`ll take my chances with my current direction......
And what happens if someone takes you on with a 457 visa and you make a life here. If they then decide they don't want you anymore. You've got 28 days to pack up and bugger off out of the country.

There's plenty of unemployed electricians in Australia who don't need 'retraining, flights and associated costs' paying for.

Sometimes the 'easy' way isn't so easy.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:36 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to say, now that we're here, that the feeling of security we have from having a PR visa was worth all the hassle and patience it took to get it. Have heard so many stories already from my niece and nephews of their friends who were sponsored to come over then dumped by their employer and ending up in a certain creek without certain implements...

Edited to add that we had PR before we came over and the recruitment agents were just as useless! They were bad enough to deal with (for my husband) when we were here, they certainly don't care when you're 12,000 miles away...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
It is very very rare for sparkies and other trades to get sponsored. Not impossible, but fantastically difficult. Also, there is no guarantee you will be offered any relocation package. I know people that work in areas that get sponsorship easy and didn't get any relocation help
Four of the five jobs that I mentioned include a relocation package and all include 457 sponsorship

I should also mention that there was a company that I didn't get round to calling yesterday who I believe offer the best prospects are heavily recruiting right now, it would be my second choice location wise and career wise (Job one by far the best option if it comes off, right location and excellent cash) but if it gets my foot in the door I`ll give it a whirl

They too are including a 457 visa, relocation package and retraining, the only downside being you're "tied in" with the company (which the 457 does to a point anyway) for a period to allow them to recoup their costs which I can understand
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
And what happens if someone takes you on with a 457 visa and you make a life here. If they then decide they don't want you anymore. You've got 28 days to pack up and bugger off out of the country.

There's plenty of unemployed electricians in Australia who don't need 'retraining, flights and associated costs' paying for.

Sometimes the 'easy' way isn't so easy.
On the plus side I`ve got 28 days to find another job/sponsor, which in theory would be easier having already got to Australia, gained my "A" license and got some experience under my belt than arriving off a plane broke (having funded the visa and relocation myself) and then having to compete against all those other unemployed electricians in Australia to gain a job with no Aussie experience and a restricted license

As I`ve already said Ive sized up the options open to me and the 457 route (even with its potential downsides which I`m fully aware of) is definitely the best fit for me
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Four of the five jobs that I mentioned include a relocation package and all include 457 sponsorship

I should also mention that there was a company that I didn't get round to calling yesterday who I believe offer the best prospects are heavily recruiting right now, it would be my second choice location wise and career wise (Job one by far the best option if it comes off, right location and excellent cash) but if it gets my foot in the door I`ll give it a whirl

They too are including a 457 visa, relocation package and retraining, the only downside being you're "tied in" with the company (which the 457 does to a point anyway) for a period to allow them to recoup their costs which I can understand
If you can get sponsorship as an electrician, good luck to you, it is very unusual these days.
You need to note though, its not a case of being tied in with the company for a period, you ARE tied to that job, nothing to do with recouping costs. Without that job you have no visa - and unless you can find another sponsor you would have 28 days to leave the country.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Or I could chuck away a fortune getting my own license via Vetassess and PR Visa, wait around 18 months for the privilege (last time I checked), pay all my own flights and associated relocation costs to arrive with a restricted license and no job (and probably little chance of getting one until I have some experience and an unrestricted license - potential catch 22)

I think I`ll take my chances with my current direction......
I tend to think if you can't afford the visa application fee or a flight then you can't afford to move to Australia.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I tend to think if you can't afford the visa application fee or a flight then you can't afford to move to Australia.
So its a "closed shop" unless you're rich?

I can afford the visa, application fee and flights but personally I tend to think I would rather let someone else pick up the costs (which they are offering to do) so I don't have to - I imagine most people would prefer this idea given the option
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you can get sponsorship as an electrician, good luck to you, it is very unusual these days.
You need to note though, its not a case of being tied in with the company for a period, you ARE tied to that job, nothing to do with recouping costs. Without that job you have no visa - and unless you can find another sponsor you would have 28 days to leave the country.
Cheers, I hope it works out

Don't worry, I fully understand the potential risks of the 457
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I can afford the visa, application fee and flights but personally I tend to think I would rather let someone else pick up the costs (which they are offering to do) so I don't have to - I imagine most people would prefer this idea given the option
Maybe I am missing the point of your thread then. If somebody else wants to pick up the tab, what exactly were you complaining about in your first post.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe I am missing the point of your thread then. If somebody else wants to pick up the tab, what exactly were you complaining about in your first post.
Yep, you are missing the point - I aint complaining about someone else "picking up the tab" - why would I?

My initial post was primarily to highlight how inefficient recruitment companies are/can be
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you are missing the point - I aint complaining about someone else "picking up the tab" - why would I?

My initial post was primarily to highlight how inefficient recruitment companies are/can be
As inefficient as we all know they are, they're often more unhelpful to someone with no visa who's 12,000 miles away.... Just sayin'.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You say that, but then you've said, and others have confirmed that:

It seems that while they are advertising jobs (all of which they are convinced I am a good match for) none of them actually have any clients but are simply hoping to find some who they can pair up a suitable candidate with
I am at a loss as to why any company who rarely employ on a permanent basis - tradies of any description, would agree to sponsor an unlicenced unknown entity who's 12,000 miles away. I find it even harder to believe that were they to change the habits of a lifetime and agree to sponsor, they would then pay for relocation and licence fees.

There are way too many unemployed electricians of all types on the ground here to choose from. Looking overseas at great expense makes no financial sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.