Is it just me?

Old Jun 28th 2001, 6:50 am
Just Joined

markh is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a full residency Visa for Oz, and have had it for 3 years now yet i still can't bring myself to go!!!
Everyone tells me 'If i was as lucky i'd be off like a shot..' etc etc.
Ive been there 3 times, the first was for a year when i was 23, and have had 2 hols there since.
My main worries are that a: I wouldn't find a job, b: I would end up living somewhere like West NSW.
Are these worries that everyone has, or am i being a complete arse?
Its difficult to know. I do like the place, but maybe the thought of the ' casual worker' from when i was there for a year is frightening me (picking watermelons and other rubbish like that).
By the way I'm 29, single and have no ties (thats not an ad for lonely hearts!). Anybody had similar worries that dealt with them? Id be interested to know what you did to overcome them! My Visa runs out may 2003. Cheers
Old Jun 28th 2001, 7:57 am
Alan Collett

Mark,

Have you validated your visa by entering Australia since your visa was issued?

If you haven't your query is academic as you only have a year max from the date of
visa grant to enter Australia.

AC

markh I have a full residency Visa for Oz, and have had it for 3 years now yet i
still can't bring myself to go!!! Everyone tells me 'If i was as lucky i'd be off
like a shot..' etc etc. Ive been there 3 times, the first was for a year when i was
23, and have had 2 hols there since. My main worries are that a: I wouldn't find a
job, b: I would end up living somewhere like West NSW. Are these worries that
everyone has, or am i being a complete arse? Its difficult to know. I do like the
place, but maybe the thought of the ' casual worker' from when i was there for a year
is frightening me (picking watermelons and other rubbish like that). By the way I'm
29, single and have no ties (thats not an ad for lonely hearts!). Anybody had similar
worries that dealt with them? Id be interested to know what you did to overcome them!
My Visa runs out may 2003. Cheers

--

Old Jun 28th 2001, 1:32 pm
Dave

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:59:06 GMT, markh <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 28th 2001, 2:40 pm
shaun

sorry to say, but i think its a waste.....if you wasnt 100% sure you shouldnt
of applied

cheers

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 28th 2001, 6:17 pm
Flemming Farms

WHAT? You need to get over here. If you don't want to be in NSW, then don't. I am in
Perth and it is nice. Try a different area. OR come out and backpack around to see
what areas you may like. You can work for some temp companies, etc. Might as well!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 28th 2001, 8:52 pm
trainer.dobbs

I think everyone's being a bit hard on you. If you have these fears then listen to
then. Maybe you shouldn't be doing this on your own, I know my life's confidence has
come from being in a happy and supportive marriage, before life was alot more scarey.

I think you should find someone to do this with (not a partner) just someone you can
share your ideas and confidence with.

GO FOR IT

>
years now yet
    >
as lucky
    >
first was
    >
main
    >
living
    >
or am i
    >
place, but
    >
for a
    >
    >
ad for
    >
them? Id be
    >
out may
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 28th 2001, 10:33 pm
shaun

Sorry, didnt mean to be nasty towards you, Take the plunge while you can, you only
live once, don't sit back in 10-15 years time and regret that you didnt do it !!! GO
FOR IT!!!!

cheers

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I have a full residency Visa for Oz, and have had it for 3[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i still can't bring myself to go!!! Everyone tells me 'If i was[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i'd be off like a shot..' etc etc. Ive been there 3 times, the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for a year when i was 23, and have had 2 hols there since. My[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > worries are that a: I wouldn't find a job, b: I would end up[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > somewhere like West NSW. Are these worries that everyone has,[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > being a complete arse? Its difficult to know. I do like the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > maybe the thought of the ' casual worker' from when i was there[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > year is frightening me (picking watermelons and other rubbish[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > that). By the way I'm 29, single and have no ties (thats not an[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > lonely hearts!). Anybody had similar worries that dealt with[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > interested to know what you did to overcome them! My Visa runs[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2003. Cheers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 28th 2001, 11:29 pm
mark.davidson1

Think on this ...

when you look back on your life in many years to come it won't be the things that you
did that you regret but the things that you didn't do......

quote .....MD ......today...

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 29th 2001, 2:02 am
Stefanie Kethers

Hi Mark,

markh wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That is a real worry, I agree - I moved to Melbourne 3 months ago, and am having
lots of trouble* finding a position (in IT). Also, every few weeks, there's an
article in The Age stating that the number of vacant positions is decreasing, and
that unemployment rates are going up. But if your visa is still valid, you could try
to land a job in Oz (except West NSW ) before going there, applying via companies'
websites, or looking at www.seek.com.au, or jobs.fairfax.com.au. I know at least one
person who managed to find a job that way while still living in Europe - you might
be lucky!.

[...]

Cheers, Stefanie

* I have worked for 7 years, 1.5 of them part-time, the rest full-time, after
completing a Master's degree in Comp. Sci. I also completed a Ph.D. in Comp. Sci.
last December. But all my work experience seems to count for nothing in Oz, as I
worked for a university, and on research projects (although with companies, too),
not in industry. At the moment, I am seriously considering returning to Europe.

Old Jun 29th 2001, 5:10 pm
fongyee long

Gulp... this is disheartening indeed...

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:02:06 +1000, Stefanie Kethers

>
    >
    >
    >

--
belfong kuala lumpur, malaysia

"It adds to my reputation, so I don't argue with them." - Belgarath

Old Jun 30th 2001, 1:14 am
Stefanie Kethers

Well, if I had to do everything again, I definitely would try to find a position
before coming here, or, at least, establish contacts and drum up possible job leads.
However, you might be much better off than me - as I said, my work experience was
with a university, and this is not well regarded If you have "real" commercial
experience, things will possibly be very different! And the general job situation
might become better in a few months, at least that's what people I talked to expect.

Cheers, Stefanie

fongyee long wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> >That is a real worry, I agree - I moved to Melbourne 3 months ago, and am having[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >lots of trouble* finding a position (in IT). Also, every few weeks, there's an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >article in The Age stating that the number of vacant positions is decreasing, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >that unemployment rates are going up.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 30th 2001, 11:01 am
alanglen

Get down here quick. You'll find work. Nothing wrong with west NSW at least you
would probably see more of the real Australia living in the outback that most
Australians see.

What you waiting for Alan Sydney, Australia

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 30th 2001, 11:57 am
Mark Deayton

alanglen wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Make up your mind Alan, is it Sydney or West NSW? There's a huge difference

--
Mark Deayton [email protected] http://i.am/mark.deayton http://go.to/'65Mustang
(my band) ICQ# 314598

Old Jul 1st 2001, 6:13 am
Just Joined

markh is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting replies... Stefanie, i have a friend in Sydney at the mo who also cannot find work reflecting the fact she has a Phd!
Yep, my visa has been validated. I also meant Western suberbs of Sydney, not NSW! I think most of my reservations are not helped by the fact i have a good way of life here! Decisions decisions...
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by markh
I have a full residency Visa for Oz, and have had it for 3 years now yet i still can't bring myself to go!!! My Visa runs out may 2003. Cheers
I don't know how long it took for you to get your visa, but if you went through all the hassles me and my hubbie did then you should use it.

We've been in Oz for almost a year. Spent most of our time travelling. Now settling in Brisbane and having a great time. Our plan is to stay here for another year; we are then entitled to Australian citizenship and an Aussie passport. Thereafter we can come and go as we please.

Don't look at as a permanent move and that you never go back to the UK. Come out, give yourself 2 years and at least leave with the passport - you just never know.

It also depends on how much you will be giving up in the UK; Family, friends work commitments etc. I know it’s easy to say this stuff 'cos I'm with my partner.

We're using this as a long holiday, seeing life in another country (culturally its not that different) and having fun!

You'd hate to say "if only" in June 2005.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.