Is it just me?

Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:54 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
I don't know how long it took for you to get your visa, but if you went through all the hassles me and my hubbie did then you should use it.

We've been in Oz for almost a year. Spent most of our time travelling. Now settling in Brisbane and having a great time. Our plan is to stay here for another year; we are then entitled to Australian citizenship and an Aussie passport. Thereafter we can come and go as we please.

Don't look at as a permanent move and that you never go back to the UK. Come out, give yourself 2 years and at least leave with the passport - you just never know.

It also depends on how much you will be giving up in the UK; Family, friends work commitments etc. I know it’s easy to say this stuff 'cos I'm with my partner.

We're using this as a long holiday, seeing life in another country (culturally its not that different) and having fun!

You'd hate to say "if only" in June 2005.
Linda....this chap wrote this thread in 2001

He's probably been in Aus .......and gone back to UK by now

Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Linda....this chap wrote this thread in 2001

He's probably been in Aus .......and gone back to UK by now
Can you tell I'm new to the site?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:25 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
Can you tell I'm new to the site?
No worries. We've all done it at some time

Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by shaun
sorry to say, but i think its a waste.....if you wasnt 100% sure you shouldnt
of applied

cheers
Not sure I agree with you on that one I was/am in a similar(ish) situation having applied for a visa (and hopefully getting it within the next two weeks) while still not being 100% sure if I will be going. Simply put when I started the process I wanted to keep my options open, and by applying now I can be sure of getting the visa (I already have to pay the CI-bond due to the points increase to 120).

I am also single [again!] (though 31) and work in I.T., I've already lived abroad from the UK for a while, although am back now. My reasons why I am hesitant to go are I have a lot of friends in Europe/Sweden, and as much as I dislike quite a few things about the UK, I also know I will miss the culture/history of Europe with castles etc etc etc. While I know Oz has its own culture, it is different, which in itself is no bad thing!

So, for me at least, unless something happens to change my mind or delay my plans I have decided to move to Oz in July/Sept of this year and see how it goes. I am pretty sure when I get there I will settle down and enjoy it.

If I don't go then I will probably spend the rest of my life wondering about what it would have been like...

Alex