Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Since February. Dropped the price twice and now I've decided to decorate despite the agent saying not to bother.

Also getting a new boiler installed on Monday which is costing me the best part of £3k.

Bloody hell I didn't realise it was such a big job. They've delivered the stuff today and there's house bricks and allsorts :scared:

Tracey
Yep $36000 since we accepted the offer on the house
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Yep $36000 since we accepted the offer on the house
Is that including what you dropped on the house price or just from the exchange rate dropping?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:30 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Is that including what you dropped on the house price or just from the exchange rate dropping?
Just the exchange rate, and it's really stressing us out.
The rate's been around the $2.50 mark as far as I know for at least a couple of years so we've worked out our budget on it, and then as soon as we've exchanged it starts to plummet.

We were planning on buying a house outright and have some money to spare as being a plumber I can't work without a license and it'll take me about a year to go that route or considerable time to find other employment, but with a buffer and no rent/mortgage it would have been ok.

If it gets any worse we wont be able to afford to do what we've planned from the beginning, long before we decided to go for it.

So after all the shit we've been through getting the visa and selling the house, we're now embarking on the next phase of the roller coaster ride
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Just the exchange rate, and it's really stressing us out.
The rate's been around the $2.50 mark as far as I know for at least a couple of years so we've worked out our budget on it, and then as soon as we've exchanged it starts to plummet.

We were planning on buying a house outright and have some money to spare as being a plumber I can't work without a license and it'll take me about a year to go that route or considerable time to find other employment, but with a buffer and no rent/mortgage it would have been ok.

If it gets any worse we wont be able to afford to do what we've planned from the beginning, long before we decided to go for it.

So after all the shit we've been through getting the visa and selling the house, we're now embarking on the next phase of the roller coaster ride

Does the rollercoaster ever end I wonder

I have only been watching it the ppast few months and I have to say, it seems to have plummeted fairly quickly.

I know I'm going to have less than I imagined too and going as a single wage earner with a couple of kids to support it could make quite a difference to me, but we adapt.

Is there any way you could get your licence etc. quicker?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:04 pm

Does the rollercoaster ever end I wonder

I have only been watching it the ppast few months and I have to say, it seems to have plummeted fairly quickly.

I know I'm going to have less than I imagined too and going as a single wage earner with a couple of kids to support it could make quite a difference to me, but we adapt.

Is there any way you could get your licence etc. quicker?
No not really, I'll probably seek other employment. The thing is it's not the dollar getting stronger but the pound weakening, we need a cut in the interest rate and all these bombings can't be helping.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

No not really, I'll probably seek other employment. The thing is it's not the dollar getting stronger but the pound weakening, we need a cut in the interest rate and all these bombings can't be helping.

I was thinking that about the bombings, you are probably right it could be having an effect.

Wish I could offer you some pearls of wisdom or insight into the future, but I can't. I can just wish you and yours all the best and hope things have an upturn soon.

That goes for everybody else out there too.

Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site (been reeding for ages!). We just spent the day with 4 different estate agents and managed to pick one to use. the house goes on the market next Wednesday. It's scary not knowing what to do for the best. Do we start off with the lowest price we can afford to accept and hope for a quick sale or try for a higher price and hope for the best? we really want to sell as quick as possible as we need the money for the bond. Cant wait till it's all over and done with and we're off!!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site (been reeding for ages!). We just spent the day with 4 different estate agents and managed to pick one to use. the house goes on the market next Wednesday. It's scary not knowing what to do for the best. Do we start off with the lowest price we can afford to accept and hope for a quick sale or try for a higher price and hope for the best? we really want to sell as quick as possible as we need the money for the bond. Cant wait till it's all over and done with and we're off!!

Hi,

who knows what's for the best?

It depends on how much you need the money I suppose. If you go to the lowest you can afford, then you aren't leaving yourself any room for negotiation, as the buyer nearly always offers less than the asking price.
If you can afford to do that then that's great. I personally am now about as low as I can afford to go.

The exchange rate is also very poor at the moment though which will also reduce the amount of dollars you will be taking with you.

At the end of the day, only you can make the decision. Good luck with it all.

Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:26 pm

I was thinking that about the bombings, you are probably right it could be having an effect.

Wish I could offer you some pearls of wisdom or insight into the future, but I can't. I can just wish you and yours all the best and hope things have an upturn soon.

That goes for everybody else out there too.

Tracey
Cheers Tracey, I just can't believe I'm stressing again, I thought the stresswas over at least until I got there.

I suppose when we get there we'll get a clearer picture, anyway I've got five weeks until I arrive so let's think positive and expect the £ to rally back
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

That's what we were thinking. Think we'll split the difference and allow some room for dropping the price if needs be. We don't plan on going to Aus till Sep next year so we're hoping the exchange rate recovers by then. We are lucky that my in laws have an empty house that we are going to move into rent free as soon as the house sells so the sooner we sell the more savings we can get together.
Hi,

who knows what's for the best?

It depends on how much you need the money I suppose. If you go to the lowest you can afford, then you aren't leaving yourself any room for negotiation, as the buyer nearly always offers less than the asking price.
If you can afford to do that then that's great. I personally am now about as low as I can afford to go.

The exchange rate is also very poor at the moment though which will also reduce the amount of dollars you will be taking with you.

At the end of the day, only you can make the decision. Good luck with it all.

Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:39 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rooksie
how did you go with your second viewing mrs??
not booked yet, waiting to hear as she had to speak to her mum......

sorry about yours
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:42 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Since February. Dropped the price twice and now I've decided to decorate despite the agent saying not to bother.

Also getting a new boiler installed on Monday which is costing me the best part of £3k.

Bloody hell I didn't realise it was such a big job. They've delivered the stuff today and there's house bricks and allsorts :scared:

Tracey
just think it will be worth it in the end
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bridiej
just think it will be worth it in the end

absolutely
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

We have survey booked for Monday am, so it all seems to be going in the right direction at the moment. Once thats over with and the buyers are happy we will book our flights, it'll be good to have a date set. :scared:
Nicola
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
havent heard a thing for ages they did a full structural survey on our house 5th july...these are the same people that bought it before prior to the chain collapsing!

Then on wednesday mobile rings and lo and behold ready to exchange :scared: we are off on holiday today so said that they will have to wait now until we get back and could exchange 26th august!! it seems so real now. However, until we actually exchange i wont believe it...this is the third time we have sold our house and have actually had to reduce it 20k to sell from our first and second offer!!! which started last July!!!

Please cross all your fingers and toes and we really hope it goes now and we can book our flights for 10th october or there abouts.
Good luck to you all. The only thing I can say is that i have noticed there appears to be more sold signs up now then for sale signs so are things improving?
Irene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.