Reload this Page >

Just having a quick sticky beak

Just having a quick sticky beak

Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Just having a quick sticky beak

Hi Folks,

Don't get much on-line time at the moment as we're still living with the outlaws (nice people really!).

The last few weeks have been quite interesting and not a little frustrating.

We've done medicare, healht undertaking, bank accounts, driving licences, tax file numbers and got young 'un into school. Everything we've doen has been more straight forward than the UK but everything has a price as well. The hospital tried to charge for x-rays even though they had a notice saying they were free for migrants health checks!

We've been searching for property using an agent in the Hills east of Perth. She was very good but wifey was very fussy. It's an odd system when agent's can conjunct to sell each other's properties (called multi listing) but our lady was pretty good showing us all properties not just her agents. They do get pissed if you view through more than one agent including open home viewings.

Anyway several long drives and all that came to bugger all! Her indoors decided instead on a quarter acre block (full of sodding rock and trees). We are looking at new build designs. There are loads to choose from but the standard 4X2 means main bed at the front and other beds at the back of the house. Fine if you like that but we want entertaining at the back so we have to be a bit more selective.

As a guide $100/150K gets you a good 4X2 but you'll pay more for extra lighting, power points flooring etc. Prices are about 10% cheaper in the metro area compared to the regional areas due to the reduced haulage necessary. I'd add at least 10% for extras. All the builders will adapt designs to suit. Try to stay within the original boundaries to keep costs down. Adding a room costs about $500 per sq meter. Land varies enormously. Houses on the newer developments tend to be on 600-700 sq m blocks. There is very little outside space but that seems to be what a lot of Aussies like. Personally I need a bit of outdoors.

Weather here has been great for the last couple of weeks but it was dammed cold before that. It bears repeating that Aussies houses are built to remain cool and most don't have heating other than wood burners. Wood is getting more expensive and more difficult to get so go for reverse cycle ducted air con about $1000 per outlet.

Bearing in mind that a new build takes about a year we have to rent. Renting is not necessarily as easy as you might think. I saw 2 places in Kalamunda that weren't fit for cattle, both at $200 pw. Going to have to widen the search. Seems a fair few 3X1 within 20 Km of the CBD but we were hoping for something bigger.

All those expecting shipping into Freo, they just announced a truckers strike. Don't know any more as yet, but you can bet it'll affect our container.

Anyways sorry for the rambling

Back soon
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Very interesting post, moving to Perth may 2004 and we are also doing a new build, I wanted to ask if the YEAR to build included the time waiting for title deeds to be drawn up, or why should it take so long??

We have bought a plot of land at Carramar Golf course, we have to pay for it in Jan when the titles are done, we were hoping that it would take about 4 MONTHS from there. Do you think that is v.unrealistic

Is it true that there is a major shortage of bricks,building materials and labour???

I think building my own home (my life long dream) may well turn into my worst nightmare.

Thanks for any info, anyone gan give on home build.

Angie.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just having a quick sticky beak

Good post

I'd like to follow up on a couple fo things ...

hospital checks / xrays - is this standard .. do we need to have full medicals (again) before we can join medicare .. is it an option to take the chest xrays we got done for the visas's ?

re weather / flies and mossies .. being new has your family been bothered much .. there has been a couple of posts recently saying how annoying these are .
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:32 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brummie bird
Hi,

Very interesting post, moving to Perth may 2004 and we are also doing a new build, I wanted to ask if the YEAR to build included the time waiting for title deeds to be drawn up, or why should it take so long??

We have bought a plot of land at Carramar Golf course, we have to pay for it in Jan when the titles are done, we were hoping that it would take about 4 MONTHS from there. Do you think that is v.unrealistic

Is it true that there is a major shortage of bricks,building materials and labour???

I think building my own home (my life long dream) may well turn into my worst nightmare.

Angie.
Take a look at this website http://www.newhomesworld.com.au/movingbuildinghome.asp

it reports:

How Long Does it Take to Build a New Home?

The time it takes to build your new home is split it two sections, Pre-Construction and Construction. Pre-Construction which includes your Finance Interview, Building Licence Application, drawing of your plans and Pre-Start Interview takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks. Once all the items in Pre-Construction have been completed and all approvals received Construction of your new home takes place. The estimated time for construction is around 18-20 weeks although this may change depending on weather conditions and the availability of tradespeople.

The lack of bricks in WA is regularly reported on the news, I don't know about your site near Joondalup, Renth is in that area you could ask him if he knows anymore.

Donna
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:57 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wot no bricks?

Brick stocks run dry in construction boom (ABC News)
Thursday, 30 October 2003

Builders in West Australia's south-west are being forced to truck bricks from Geraldton and Narrogin in the mid-west because of an unprecedented construction boom.

A chronic brick shortage has hit WA in past months.

Now, because of the pressure to meet commercial development deadlines, regional builders are taking the extraordinary step of ordering bricks from Narrogin and Geraldton.

Master Builders Association president Michael McLean says it takes an extra five to 10 hours to truck the bricks south.

"Areas like the south-west are certainly experiencing more problems than most because of their high volume of work," Mr McLean said.

A do-it-yourself renovating fad in the state's south has also been hit hard because made-to-order bricks are not being readily manufactured, he said.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Take a look at this website http://www.newhomesworld.com.au/movingbuildinghome.asp

Renth is in that area you could ask him if he knows anymore.

Donna

Here is an interesting article in the West Australian:

http://www.thewest.com.au/20031031/n...-pic21868.html
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by brummie bird
Hi,

Angie.

Hi Angie,

I reckon 4 months may be a bit tight. It depends on the site and who you are building with. We've checked most of the major builders and they all said 10 to 12 months. With our site it will take about 10 weeks + just to get the sand pad down. That's mainly due to the trees and strong possibility of rock blasting.

There is a shortage of bricks but a new plant should be open soon. The shortage wasn't helped by a SW plant be shut down by the environmental lot. Not sure about the Narrogin plant. We live there at present and I thought it was out of use but may have started again. My advice, go with a big builder like Plunkett as they get preferential treatment 'cos their orders are so big.

Only other advice is on costs. Advertised prices are basic. Add on for internal extras and connection to utilities. Whatever you are told for site costs, add a large chunk as they have a habit of creeping.

Don't lose heart just factor in some rental into the building costs.

Hi FiFi,

X-rays are a requirement if you have been asked to sign a helath undertaking. Normally this is requested if you've had serious illnesses or may have been exposed to TB. There is no medical requirement to join medicare but there maybe for health insurance which we haven't got round to yet.

Flys and mossies are a pain. I was working at my cousins farm in Popanying 2 weeks ago and I've never seen flys like it. In the towns there not so much of a problem. Just keep your fly screen and mouth shut .

Mossies are a different thing altogether. They are around all day but are most prevalent at dusk. I have a theory that the more you are bitten the less you are bothered by them. The first week was hell but they're almost tolerable now. Maybe it's just me. My 5 year old isn't bothered by them either.

Weather, well that's a lot of why we all come here. Just bear in mind that it's cold in winter and the houses, at best, are insulated to keep heat out. The high 20's and early 30's are great unless you have to wear a suit or work outside all day.

All the best folks