Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:17 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Hello

Oh my god I hate being back! After two wonderful weeks in OZ (limited time as I am a teacher and needed to be back to control my class!) we have come down to earth with a bit of a bump. It is cold and grey and we just can't wait to get back out there. We now know that it is absolutely worth all the heartache we are going through with family (they have taken it very badly and I don't think things will ever sort themselves out) and are certain we will be able to make a go of it out there.

We landed in Perth after a horrendous journey via Hong Kong (many hours waiting around eating junk food and wishing we had money to spend in the fancy shops) and tried our best to stay awake till the evening - hard going! We didn't do much 'touristy' things and instead hired a car and drove around suberb after suberb after suberb. We looked at the glorious beaches, ate loads of cakes (cakes in OZ are absolutely fantasic - huge and yummy!), had a great meal down at Freemantle, wondered around the city, had a beer or two at Mullalou (sorry about the spelling) beach hotel, wondered around Hilary's, ventured up to Two Rocks, used the train to get about, looked at land, and lots and lots of amazing houses. While we were there the sun did not stop shinning and it was blue sky every day. It was great. The people were really friendly and instantly we liked the place. Yes it is flat and yes the housing market is loopy at the moment (people camping out for days to buy a plot of land on new developments), yes it is a long way from places but it definaltly appeared to be a place that would be fantastic to bring up a family. It was very clean, we felt safe and the beaches were absolutely stunning. It took us a while to find the coffee strip in Freemantle but when we did it made it even better, loads of cafes and bars and a great fruit market.

After our five days exploring we thought we had settled on Perth. We could see no reason why we could not be very very happy there. I still had doubts in my head about the locality, the crazy house market and the chilly winters but everything seemed to make up for it. We were even ready to put a deposit on a plot of land up at the Vale development in the Swan River but we thought we better hang fire until we spent some time in Brisbane.

The flight to QLD reminded me just how vast the country is. Ian kept spotting quarries (this is where he works at the moment) but that was about all that was down there.

We arrived in Brisbane at night and hired a car straight from the airport. Whether it was because I was tired or whether the roads are tougher to navigate we got a bit lost on our way into the CBD and we kind of determined to not like it as we felt loyal to Perth. As we came into the city the skyline was fantasic but then so was Perth's so nothing had changed. We stayed at the Holiday Inn which was fine and our room was on the 18th floor so our view was good. The next day we decided to get out of the CBD and start our tour of the suberbs. We wanted to try and decide asap if Perth was still for us and if it was we were just going to chill in Brisbane before the trip home.

The people in Brisbane were just as friendly and the cakes just as fantastic. The CBD definalty has a lot more going on than in Perth with a backpacker scene, music in the shopping arcades, performance areas for college bands to perform in and a thriving cafe culture. You would never be short of shops in Brisbane! We did find the roads a tiny bit more busy but we were leading up to the bank holiday weekend so I think it is a bit of an unfair comparison.
The housing market is nowhere near as frantic as in Perth and we had to look a little bit harder to find housing developments and land sales but they were out there and again we viewed some fantstic places. I can not believe the size of them. We have 4 bed at home but these places (4x2) are just incedible!!

What was noticable different was the weather (a lot warmer during the day and at night) and the landscape. If you like hills and a very green and lush landscape then Brisbane beats Perth. It did feel more varied and green whereas Perth was very dry and arid in places. I personally like both so this is just an observation.

We really liked Wellington Point, Raby Bay, Victoria point and all the access areas to the islands. Surfers Paradise was also okay. I thought I would hate it but it kind of has a charm of its own and would be a fun place to go. We did however try and find less built up beaches and they were not hard to find. Gold or Sunshine coast had lots of fabulous places and we would not struggle to find an area that we liked. Nossa was great but very very busy due to it being the easter weekend.

Luckiy we are not limited to being near the CBD as Ian works in the Quarrying industry and I am a teacher so we could head a bit further up the Queensland coat if we could find work.

All in all the trip was brilliant, if you are able to take a reccie before you head out I would advise it as although the internet can provide lots of great information there is nothing like just getting a feel for a place and knowing if it is right for you or not. We absolutley loved both places and think we could make a wonderful life for ourselves in Perth or Brisbane. In some respects it would be easier if someone could make the choice for us as we feel bad for picking one over the other - that may sound daft! We have however decided to go for Brisbane as we want to explore what the east coast has to offer, there are tons of quarries than Ian would not have to fly in fly out to and it is a little bit warmer for me.

For those of you who are picking Perth, considering it or are already there I can see why. It is a beautiful place which we are finding hard to forget and who knows maybe we will end up there in the end.

I hope this helps anyone considering these two areas, I also have details of builders and land developments if anyone needs any. I truly hope I have not offended anyone as I really did think they were both great places and we can not wait to get out there and strat our new lives.

Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

It sounds like you had a brilliant time. Sounds like you can't wait to get back there.

I wish lots of luck and hope that you find happiness wherever you end up settling
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:32 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

fab post!

DId you manage to get details of land etc in Perth?

I would be interested in this if you did, pretty please
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Hi.

Ditto, feel exactly the same as you.
I would reccomend a reccie trip for anyone because even if you dont get in or dont go it is a trip of a lifetime and a fantastic experience.

We got back 3 days ago and did feel a little flat but theres the thought of hopefully getting in we are about to submit our 47 sk so there is excitement as well.

We only went to Perth as I have a brother there and that decides it for us. I too felt Perth was boring with regards to scenery and found it very quiet at night. We stayed in cbd for a week then rented a house for 2 weeks in the northern suburbs.
Was suprised by a few things and saw the bad things as well as the good but think it offers a better quality of life and we absolutely loved it.

Cannot wait to get back. Not sure about the weather difference though as there is very little between Brisbane and Perth if you look at statistics and Perth is supposed to have more sunny days then anywhere else in the world. Who cares anyway and good luck to you with your dream.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hello

Oh my god I hate being back! After two wonderful weeks in OZ (limited time as I am a teacher and needed to be back to control my class!) we have come down to earth with a bit of a bump. It is cold and grey and we just can't wait to get back out there. We now know that it is absolutely worth all the heartache we are going through with family (they have taken it very badly and I don't think things will ever sort themselves out) and are certain we will be able to make a go of it out there.

We landed in Perth after a horrendous journey via Hong Kong (many hours waiting around eating junk food and wishing we had money to spend in the fancy shops) and tried our best to stay awake till the evening - hard going! We didn't do much 'touristy' things and instead hired a car and drove around suberb after suberb after suberb. We looked at the glorious beaches, ate loads of cakes (cakes in OZ are absolutely fantasic - huge and yummy!), had a great meal down at Freemantle, wondered around the city, had a beer or two at Mullalou (sorry about the spelling) beach hotel, wondered around Hilary's, ventured up to Two Rocks, used the train to get about, looked at land, and lots and lots of amazing houses. While we were there the sun did not stop shinning and it was blue sky every day. It was great. The people were really friendly and instantly we liked the place. Yes it is flat and yes the housing market is loopy at the moment (people camping out for days to buy a plot of land on new developments), yes it is a long way from places but it definaltly appeared to be a place that would be fantastic to bring up a family. It was very clean, we felt safe and the beaches were absolutely stunning. It took us a while to find the coffee strip in Freemantle but when we did it made it even better, loads of cafes and bars and a great fruit market.

After our five days exploring we thought we had settled on Perth. We could see no reason why we could not be very very happy there. I still had doubts in my head about the locality, the crazy house market and the chilly winters but everything seemed to make up for it. We were even ready to put a deposit on a plot of land up at the Vale development in the Swan River but we thought we better hang fire until we spent some time in Brisbane.

The flight to QLD reminded me just how vast the country is. Ian kept spotting quarries (this is where he works at the moment) but that was about all that was down there.

We arrived in Brisbane at night and hired a car straight from the airport. Whether it was because I was tired or whether the roads are tougher to navigate we got a bit lost on our way into the CBD and we kind of determined to not like it as we felt loyal to Perth. As we came into the city the skyline was fantasic but then so was Perth's so nothing had changed. We stayed at the Holiday Inn which was fine and our room was on the 18th floor so our view was good. The next day we decided to get out of the CBD and start our tour of the suberbs. We wanted to try and decide asap if Perth was still for us and if it was we were just going to chill in Brisbane before the trip home.

The people in Brisbane were just as friendly and the cakes just as fantastic. The CBD definalty has a lot more going on than in Perth with a backpacker scene, music in the shopping arcades, performance areas for college bands to perform in and a thriving cafe culture. You would never be short of shops in Brisbane! We did find the roads a tiny bit more busy but we were leading up to the bank holiday weekend so I think it is a bit of an unfair comparison.
The housing market is nowhere near as frantic as in Perth and we had to look a little bit harder to find housing developments and land sales but they were out there and again we viewed some fantstic places. I can not believe the size of them. We have 4 bed at home but these places (4x2) are just incedible!!

What was noticable different was the weather (a lot warmer during the day and at night) and the landscape. If you like hills and a very green and lush landscape then Brisbane beats Perth. It did feel more varied and green whereas Perth was very dry and arid in places. I personally like both so this is just an observation.

We really liked Wellington Point, Raby Bay, Victoria point and all the access areas to the islands. Surfers Paradise was also okay. I thought I would hate it but it kind of has a charm of its own and would be a fun place to go. We did however try and find less built up beaches and they were not hard to find. Gold or Sunshine coast had lots of fabulous places and we would not struggle to find an area that we liked. Nossa was great but very very busy due to it being the easter weekend.

Luckiy we are not limited to being near the CBD as Ian works in the Quarrying industry and I am a teacher so we could head a bit further up the Queensland coat if we could find work.

All in all the trip was brilliant, if you are able to take a reccie before you head out I would advise it as although the internet can provide lots of great information there is nothing like just getting a feel for a place and knowing if it is right for you or not. We absolutley loved both places and think we could make a wonderful life for ourselves in Perth or Brisbane. In some respects it would be easier if someone could make the choice for us as we feel bad for picking one over the other - that may sound daft! We have however decided to go for Brisbane as we want to explore what the east coast has to offer, there are tons of quarries than Ian would not have to fly in fly out to and it is a little bit warmer for me.

For those of you who are picking Perth, considering it or are already there I can see why. It is a beautiful place which we are finding hard to forget and who knows maybe we will end up there in the end.

I hope this helps anyone considering these two areas, I also have details of builders and land developments if anyone needs any. I truly hope I have not offended anyone as I really did think they were both great places and we can not wait to get out there and strat our new lives.

Fantastic post! - sounds like you had a great time.
good luck in your continuing journey

lj x
Old Apr 29th 2006, 8:07 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yeah we drove around loads of suberbs in Perth, north and south of the river. We had loads of brochures but had to leave most of them due to weight issues!

It appears that Perth are going through a housing boom at the moment so not many 'old' house for sale and land plots on new estates are going like crazy. We were told stories of people camping out to get a plot and prices are on the up unfortunately. There were loads of show houses to look around which was great fun and beyond anything you would get here for similar or less money. I felt like a kid in a sweet shop.

South of the river:

Lots of new estates in Secret Harbour and Waikiki. Plot sizes from 500-700sqm and priced from $136-$273,000. They are being quite crafty at the moment and only releasing 10-50 plots at a time which is keeping interest and price high. The beaches down this way were lovely and it had a nice feel about it.

North of the river

Tapping is east of Joondalup lake. (This area is approx 30 minutes to the CBD and 20 minutes to the beach - although that is memory!!)We drove around it and it seemed very nice. Estate agent told up that it has a good name for itself and is next to Carramar which has one of the best schools in the area. The estates that were being built are:
The Kestrels - Cedar Woods Properties 408-721sqm $169-$259000
Carramar Golf Course - Peet and Company 600-733sqm $179-199000
Ashton Heights - Peet and Company 576sqm $191000

For what we want (4 bed 2 bathroom, graden and pool) we thought 650sqm would be a great size.

Way up north is Two Rocks and Yanchep. Prob 45-50 minutes from CBD but right on the coast. Very under developed and a nice place but they are putting in a new road so it is likely to get a lot busier.

Two Rocks - The Reef Pand N Landreach/Zebra 391-544sqm $169-198000

Noth East of the CBD is Ellenbrrok. This area lies within the Swan Valley so if you like wine then this is the place to be as it is full of vineries and lovely. It is 30 minutes to the CBD and 25 to the coast but there are a few hills so it is really pretty.
Lovely new development called The Vale, is appears to be quite posh and looks like a nice place to live. Lots of play areas for the kids and lakes etc - very pleasing to the eye!
The Vale - Multiplex Developments 600-700sqm $168-178000
Ellenbrook - LWP Property Group as above approx

Also loads going on in Butler which is very near to the coast and a bit further up that Joondalup. I was tired at this point so didn't pick up much infor. Howver close to the beach sounds great!

If you have a bigger budget than us:
Burns Beach - Peet and Co 577-755sqm $310-350000
Hilaries C-Air - Investa Property Group 205-450sqm $250000-4000000

www.multiplexliving.com.au
www.peet.com.au
www.satterley.com.au (this is for the Grove development but can't remember much about it, sorry)

Best thing to do for land is try and get hold of saturdays Western Australia as it has a real estate section and it lists all the land sales going on.

Houses (the fun bit):
Some builders websites, we were looking at the $200,000 mark so with land and house we are aiming at about £200,000. It is great what you can get, however be aware that the price does not inlcude lots of things so the base price does go up by at lease $33,000 to get in flooring, air con, driveway etc etc.

www.venturahomes.com.au (nice sales people and lovely house, especially the Boston $189,000)
www.scottparkhomes.com.au (okay rep, nice people again and very big houses for the money - ($183990The Grand Boulevard!)
www.discoveryhomes.net.au (we looked at the Colossus - huge!)
www.affordableliving.com.au
www.designedforliving.com.au
www.impressions.net.au
www.commodorehomes.com.au
www.perceptions.com.au
www.rossnorthhomes.com.au

Well I hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by Vernons; Apr 29th 2006 at 8:10 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 8:12 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Yeah you are right the amount of sunny days in Perth is a def plus. Was great opening up the curtains and it being sunny every day. I noticed that it was very quiet at night too. With regards to weather I think the humidity in Brisbane will be tough in the summer but I had to wear a jumper at night In perth but didn't in Brisbane.

Good luck with everything.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Yeah you are right the amount of sunny days in Perth is a def plus. Was great opening up the curtains and it being sunny every day. I noticed that it was very quiet at night too. With regards to weather I think the humidity in Brisbane will be tough in the summer but I had to wear a jumper at night In perth but didn't in Brisbane.

Cheers
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as if you had a fab trip and certainly fit a lot into the two weeks you were here. I had to choose between Brisbane and Perth. We ended up in Brisbane as we had friends there so thought it might make the move easier. I really like Brisbane as I feel it has so much to offer and other places are easily accessible. From what I understand weather wise Perth gets colder in Winter and also hotter in summer than Brisbane and also from what people say they get a lot of flies in summer too. We haven't had a problem with flies at all so that is good.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Also with Perth, you have a 6 - 8 week period in late Jan to early March when the temp can climb to around 50+ (C).

If you are more than 10km from the coast, then that does get HOT!

On the down side, I have seen times when the little bay just south of Hilary's has a whale and calf in there resting
Old Apr 30th 2006, 5:54 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Also with Perth, you have a 6 - 8 week period in late Jan to early March when the temp can climb to around 50+ (C).
I have been here for years and while it does certainly get its share of heatwaves I have never seen it get past mid 40's (which is still far too hot to do anything).

Further north in WA, and inland (like a couple hundred K's or so) you will find 50c+ eg, marble bar, tom price, those sort of areas.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 9:01 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Hello

Cheers for the update, interesting.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 1:04 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

what an excellent post! so pleased you enjoyed it and a great insight into brissie too.On the weather side of things,y'know its funny as I am really enjoying the slight change in the weather/temps in perth at the moment, I never had really given it any thought till now but I do think I would be exasperated by constant barrages of hot temps ALL year round and I'm finding the cooler temps and the chance to wear a cardie or a jumper really nice for a change (I know you may think thats wierd) good luck to you
Old Apr 30th 2006, 1:24 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Hi
Just looking through our pictures - took so many more in Perth and it looks beautiful. Starting to doubt our decision now!! What sort of temp are you having at the moment? Have you been there for a winter yet? How was it?
Old Apr 30th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Great post. Lots of really useful info. Keep us updated as our timelines are similar. Get that 47sk off NOW.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.