Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

erins dad will become famous soon enougherins dad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi Yeah we drove around loads of suberbs in Perth, north and south of the river. We had loads of brochures but had to leave most of them due to weight issues!

It appears that Perth are going through a housing boom at the moment so not many 'old' house for sale and land plots on new estates are going like crazy. We were told stories of people camping out to get a plot and prices are on the up unfortunately. There were loads of show houses to look around which was great fun and beyond anything you would get here for similar or less money. I felt like a kid in a sweet shop.

South of the river:

Lots of new estates in Secret Harbour and Waikiki. Plot sizes from 500-700sqm and priced from $136-$273,000. They are being quite crafty at the moment and only releasing 10-50 plots at a time which is keeping interest and price high. The beaches down this way were lovely and it had a nice feel about it.

North of the river

Tapping is east of Joondalup lake. (This area is approx 30 minutes to the CBD and 20 minutes to the beach - although that is memory!!)We drove around it and it seemed very nice. Estate agent told up that it has a good name for itself and is next to Carramar which has one of the best schools in the area. The estates that were being built are:
The Kestrels - Cedar Woods Properties 408-721sqm $169-$259000
Carramar Golf Course - Peet and Company 600-733sqm $179-199000
Ashton Heights - Peet and Company 576sqm $191000

For what we want (4 bed 2 bathroom, graden and pool) we thought 650sqm would be a great size.

Way up north is Two Rocks and Yanchep. Prob 45-50 minutes from CBD but right on the coast. Very under developed and a nice place but they are putting in a new road so it is likely to get a lot busier.

Two Rocks - The Reef Pand N Landreach/Zebra 391-544sqm $169-198000

Noth East of the CBD is Ellenbrrok. This area lies within the Swan Valley so if you like wine then this is the place to be as it is full of vineries and lovely. It is 30 minutes to the CBD and 25 to the coast but there are a few hills so it is really pretty.
Lovely new development called The Vale, is appears to be quite posh and looks like a nice place to live. Lots of play areas for the kids and lakes etc - very pleasing to the eye!
The Vale - Multiplex Developments 600-700sqm $168-178000
Ellenbrook - LWP Property Group as above approx

Also loads going on in Butler which is very near to the coast and a bit further up that Joondalup. I was tired at this point so didn't pick up much infor. Howver close to the beach sounds great!

If you have a bigger budget than us:
Burns Beach - Peet and Co 577-755sqm $310-350000
Hilaries C-Air - Investa Property Group 205-450sqm $250000-4000000

www.multiplexliving.com.au
www.peet.com.au
www.satterley.com.au (this is for the Grove development but can't remember much about it, sorry)

Best thing to do for land is try and get hold of saturdays Western Australia as it has a real estate section and it lists all the land sales going on.

Houses (the fun bit):
Some builders websites, we were looking at the $200,000 mark so with land and house we are aiming at about £200,000. It is great what you can get, however be aware that the price does not inlcude lots of things so the base price does go up by at lease $33,000 to get in flooring, air con, driveway etc etc.

www.venturahomes.com.au (nice sales people and lovely house, especially the Boston $189,000)
www.scottparkhomes.com.au (okay rep, nice people again and very big houses for the money - ($183990The Grand Boulevard!)
www.discoveryhomes.net.au (we looked at the Colossus - huge!)
www.affordableliving.com.au
www.designedforliving.com.au
www.impressions.net.au
www.commodorehomes.com.au
www.perceptions.com.au
www.rossnorthhomes.com.au

Well I hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Great post, will save me hours of research(well, sciving away on the night-shift), we will be off to perth in feb'07, hopefully prices will not have risen too much by then.
Alan.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:06 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as though you had a very positive trip, but you must have gone back to work for a rest

You can find details of land developments her http://movetoperth.com/info/suburbs/...pmentlong.html

only updates every couple of months so prices are a guide. Developers are only releasing small numbers of blocks at a time and each release is going up around $10k-$20k at the moment. The last release in the Brighton estate which was for blocks in Ridgewood saw people camp out for 5 days without even knowing the price of the blocks. It's worth bearing in mind too that if you have chosen a house and an area if you go to the developers they can usually find you a block, thats usually one which has been sold and someone is sitting on, so its always worth asking. Also check the real estate sites for blocks for sale, a pre owned block will make building faster as it will already have titles, but in most cases you will lose the landscaping package.

Lynn
Old May 1st 2006, 9:25 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the reply. That is really useful information and I will check out the website.
Old May 1st 2006, 9:45 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Hi
Just looking through our pictures - took so many more in Perth and it looks beautiful. Starting to doubt our decision now!! What sort of temp are you having at the moment? Have you been there for a winter yet? How was it?
yes we have been here for a winter-we arrived mid july last year. We managed fine as it was a not-so-great UK summer when we left and the temps were not that different, averaging about the 12-18 degree mark if I remember correctly-the only trouble was that we hadnt brought our winter clothes with us DOH! y'know, you expect it to be hot (well at least warm) in OZ and therefore in the terrifying build up to the off I put most of our clothes in the container- ha ha in fact I've just remembered I actually forgot to pack my daughters suitcase the day the removers came and so her chest of drawers with ALL her clothes in went off in the container! we had to buy her enough gear to get her by for the couple of days before we flew! yeah I was really on the ball! But all I really needed was a jacket and like I said a cardie or a jumper and it was fine. I am revelling in the prospect of being able to see my cold breath in the early morning and maybe some webs with morning dew on. then in a matter of weeks it starts to warm up again real quick.it just will break the monotany of the same weather EVERY DAY.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:36 pm
Nearly living the dream!!

anthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enoughanthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Just got back from our Perth and Brisbane Reccie

Hi! This is my first ever post to the site - found your comments very interesting, so I thought I'd reply!

My husband and I are emigrating this year on August 5th to Perth. We love it out there and I will be joining my parents who have been out there for 6 years. Have not had the chance to venture anywhere beyond Perth, though your comments on Brisbane sound fantastic! We are hoping to be doing some travelling once we've settled and got jobs.

I, too, am a teacher (primary). I am in my second year and absolutely love the place I work. I will be gutted to leave my job, but hey! there's more to life than work!! I have just finished writing my personal statement which will accompany my CV when I go for a job in Aus. I am so nervous about getting work over there - just hope they like me and are prepared to take on a fairly newly qualified!??
We will be residing in Quinns Rocks with my parents which is next to Brighton, so hopefully, I'll get work close to home!
Have you made any plans to start work or are you just planning on searching when you arrive? I'm sure you're aware that their academic year doesn't start until February - think I'll go mad as I'm sure you'll agree; us teachers are rather hyperactive! (Blame the kids!!)
My husband is an accountant and I'm confident he won't have any problems finding work, but equally, you do feel nervous and apprehensive.

When do you intend to make the BIG move? Keep us posted and we wish you all the best! I'm sure you'll be happy there and that Aus will give you the life you long for! Good luck with the family and keep smiling!

Kate and Anthony.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:45 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate

I am just about to finish my first year of teaching so I know exactly how you feel. I am primary and love my school to bits, they could no t believe the news when I told them. I am still unsure of exactly what I have to do to teach in OZ as all the focus has been on Ian. He is the main applicant and because I do not have 3 years experience I am just going as the wife! From what research I have done I think I have to get my skills assessed by NOOSR when I get out there and then register with the state - is this true? It is very nerve racking not knowing the system out there but I am sure it will be great, especially if it is more topic based and less testing (QCAs in a few weeks aahh).

I should be planning maths for the week but I just can't stop looking as info on oz and through our pictures, we are still finding it hard to choose between Perth and Brisbane. How have your family found the winters? I think that is my main concern which is stupid really. Quinns Rock is a lovely area, bet your family are having a great time. We really liked Yanchep as well which is a bit further north but land seems to be getting more and more expensive.

We are hoping to head out during September so hopefully it will give me enough time to get sorted before the start of the new school year.

Keep in touch, you never know we may end up in Perth!
Michelle
Old May 1st 2006, 5:07 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate

I am just about to finish my first year of teaching so I know exactly how you feel. I am primary and love my school to bits, they could no t believe the news when I told them. I am still unsure of exactly what I have to do to teach in OZ as all the focus has been on Ian. He is the main applicant and because I do not have 3 years experience I am just going as the wife! From what research I have done I think I have to get my skills assessed by NOOSR when I get out there and then register with the state - is this true? It is very nerve racking not knowing the system out there but I am sure it will be great, especially if it is more topic based and less testing (QCAs in a few weeks aahh).

I should be planning maths for the week but I just can't stop looking as info on oz and through our pictures, we are still finding it hard to choose between Perth and Brisbane. How have your family found the winters? I think that is my main concern which is stupid really. Quinns Rock is a lovely area, bet your family are having a great time. We really liked Yanchep as well which is a bit further north but land seems to be getting more and more expensive.

We are hoping to head out during September so hopefully it will give me enough time to get sorted before the start of the new school year.

Keep in touch, you never know we may end up in Perth!
Michelle
I am in exactly the same position as you, I would in a lovely village school in Rural Essex and when I told my head teacher she was gutted but promised to write an excellent reference for me. It is really scary but I understand that you don't have to do an NQT year to teach in WA so as recent NQT's we should be generally considered well qualified to teach. I have just finished planning my maths but it took me ages because I kept on checking what was happening on here.

As far as registering to teach is concerned you need to contact the Western Australian College Teaching. I have been in contact with them by e-mail and they are really helpful.

We are heading out in August (if the house sells). We really like the area south of Safety Bay and north of Bunbury. Where we finally settle will be dictated by hubby's job, he works in operations and safety in the Oil industry so we have lots of employment options to consider.

Best of luck
ACE
Old May 1st 2006, 5:15 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Wow, loads in common. My hubbie works in the quarrying and mining industry so as with you where we live will also be dictated by his job. So your are heading south of the river then. We went down as far as secret harbour (I think) and it was lovely. The beaches are stunning!

What made you pick Perth over all the other states. I am so confused, loved Brisbane and Perth and thought we had decided on Brissie but Perth keeps playing on my mind!

Thanks for the advise with regards to teaching, I am so worried I wont find anything. Have you found any good recruitment sites for your husbands work?

Good luck with it all,
Michelle
Old May 1st 2006, 6:37 pm
Nearly living the dream!!

anthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enoughanthonyandkatewagstaff will become famous soon enough

Hi Michelle!

Thanks for your reply - it's so nice knowing that I've got these concerns and I'm not on my own!
I went to see my Mum and Dad last year and found out a bit of info regarding the process one needs to take to get a job! You should find this document very useful as it offers a time line, which states what you need to be doing and when. http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/teaching...ntOverseas.pdf .
The above can be found via this link - just click on 'Overseas Teachers' once it's loaded; http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/teaching...nt.html#submit

Notice on the form that it states that we must attend the Entry and Orientation program. This will be useful as it'll detail the similarities and differences we should expect to find in an Aus primary school - it'll be like going back to Uni all over again! :scared: This should also help to kill some time.

My family absolutely adore Perth! It has a lovely, relaxed atmosphere and it all looks so new and clean. It also has good job prospects as they are constantly expanding up the western coast...and you know what it's like - with every new suburb, they fling a school in - so they must need us!
The winters have not bothered them - and there's no one who feels the cold like my mum! It does drop but it's just something that doesn't phase them. They have one fire in the house and it's been sufficient. I really wouldn't worry. They've never seen ice since they've been there so that MUST be a bonus!

You're heading out just after us - it seems really strange! If you do end up in Perth, I'll book us in for a Dome coffee at the Marina! - Bring your sunnies!

Speak soon Michelle!
Kate.
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:06 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, loads in common. My hubbie works in the quarrying and mining industry so as with you where we live will also be dictated by his job. So your are heading south of the river then. We went down as far as secret harbour (I think) and it was lovely. The beaches are stunning!

What made you pick Perth over all the other states. I am so confused, loved Brisbane and Perth and thought we had decided on Brissie but Perth keeps playing on my mind!

Thanks for the advise with regards to teaching, I am so worried I wont find anything. Have you found any good recruitment sites for your husbands work?

Good luck with it all,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
When we first decided to emigrate 5 years ago we began our search in Perth for two reasons. First, I had been to Perth on a contract back in the 80's and I loved it then. Second, job prospects; there are heaps of very well paid oil and mining jobs in WA.

We went to Queensland and Adelaide before making our final decision but we just preferred Perth. The humidity put me off Queensland, having experienced high humidity in Jamaica, Florida, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong I know that I can't cope with that type of heat. We have been to WA 4 times now at different times of year and we still love it. I know people say it is quiet and boring but I like that, I live in a very quiet area in Essex and I don't think I could cope with the hussle and bussle of say Sydney.

Check out the link below for jobs in the energy and natural resources sector.

http://employment.byron.com.au/search.html

If you do change your mind and go to WA it would be great to meet up sometime and exchange NQT/energy related chit chat.

If there is anything else you want to know I would be glad to help if I can.

All the best
ACE
Old May 2nd 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of