Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just got back from Gold Coast!

Just got back from Gold Coast!

Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice
Default Just got back from Gold Coast!

We have just got back from Gold coast (Broadbeach Waters) and really loved it we went to Seaworld,Dreamworld and checked out Byron Bay and spent a day in Brisbane thought it was all fab! We have two litttle ones that thought they were in heaven.I posted on here a month or so a go as I was having a bit of a struggle settling in (we live in Melbourne) but have to say that the hoilday has really lifted my mood and feeling much more postive about Oz now.

By the way what on has been going on with the forum???

This forum offers alot of support for people that are all going through the same process which at times is very stressful don't let the f*****s spoil it!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:35 am
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just got back from Gold Coast!

Originally Posted by playbunny75
We have just got back from Gold coast (Broadbeach Waters) ...
Hey me too, but Iwas there for the TechEd Conference.

WoodyInOz, the little Dev's and I am are going up next month for a longer trip - have you got any recommendations for must visit places (we are planning to do the parks already)
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:42 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevMountain
Hey me too, but Iwas there for the TechEd Conference.

WoodyInOz, the little Dev's and I am are going up next month for a longer trip - have you got any recommendations for must visit places (we are planning to do the parks already)
If you have KIDS, grab a car and head west about 30 mins from Gold Coast to O'Reilleys. Your kids will LOVE it.

Hand feeding Rozellas !!!!!!

Pic
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by playbunny75
We have just got back from Gold coast (Broadbeach Waters) and really loved it we went to Seaworld,Dreamworld and checked out Byron Bay and spent a day in Brisbane thought it was all fab! We have two litttle ones that thought they were in heaven.I posted on here a month or so a go as I was having a bit of a struggle settling in (we live in Melbourne) but have to say that the hoilday has really lifted my mood and feeling much more postive about Oz now.

By the way what on has been going on with the forum???

This forum offers alot of support for people that are all going through the same process which at times is very stressful don't let the f*****s spoil it!
Did you buy your tickets at the gate for Seaworld and Dreamworld. I will be visiting Brisbane next March and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy them on the internet beforehand. When visiting the theme parks in Florida it does work out cheaper to buy them before you get to USA.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:02 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

You could also go to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Australia Zoo, and Moreton Island to handfeed the wild dolphins (need to stay overnight to feed though).
Julie
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:03 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Dreamworld is good fun - the food is not up to much and they dont allow picnics (!) so eat before hand. Its mostly crappy hot dogs and chips which would normally be ok for theme park fare but here its rubbish. Or have a picnic in the car park with a hand stamp for re-entry . The park itself is pretty good with good rides for younger kids and older kids.

Australia Zoo is 'ok' and the kids will dig it but the croc shows weren't that great so its just a zoo and its 1.5-2hours from gold coast . Its quite big to walk around and can be a bit tiring esp if you've got to drive 2hrs back to g.coast.

A day in brisbane would be good a ride on the ferry-cat thing up the brisbane river for a few bucks is good fun and a cool thing to do. The science museum in brisbane and southbank are also interesting diversions. The botanical gardens in brisbane are a good place to run around and cool down in grass with a really nice restaurant in there or an equally decent little cafe next to and it has a play area . From the gardens you get a good view of the river, story bridge, cliffs , its quite nice.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:06 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybie
Did you buy your tickets at the gate for Seaworld and Dreamworld. I will be visiting Brisbane next March and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy them on the internet beforehand. When visiting the theme parks in Florida it does work out cheaper to buy them before you get to USA.
I dont think they give internet dicounts. Occasionally woolworths or coles print giveaways on the back of their 'dockets' also if you hire a car they often have booklets of giveaway or discounts.

Seaworld is a bit disappointing if youve been to Seaworld USA - its not the same by a long way. It misses hte major shows like clyde and seymour and the jumping whale shamu thingy was a bit amateur to say the least. Dreamworld is better.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:06 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Hand feeding Rozellas !!!!!!
Cool pic! We are lucky enough to be able to do this in our garden, but thanks We'll take a trip to Byron Bay though.

Did you buy your tickets at the gate for Seaworld and Dreamworld
I have seen that the theme parks site sells tickets at about 15% off, so we are going to get ours from there.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spalen
I dont think they give internet dicounts. Occasionally woolworths or coles print giveaways on the back of their 'dockets' also if you hire a car they often have booklets of giveaway or discounts.

Seaworld is a bit disappointing if youve been to Seaworld USA - its not the same by a long way. It misses hte major shows like clyde and seymour and the jumping whale shamu thingy was a bit amateur to say the least. Dreamworld is better.
The best bit about the Clyde and Seymour show at the Florida Seaworld was the mime artist at the beginning. He was absolutely brilliant. Would recommend going there just to see him!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:43 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by cybie
The best bit about the Clyde and Seymour show at the Florida Seaworld was the mime artist at the beginning. He was absolutely brilliant. Would recommend going there just to see him!!
Yes Florida Seaworld is a real treat and really good.

gold Coast seaworld is abit erm.... er.... dunno like a privately owned english version (!).
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

We hired a car with (thrifty) for $275 for the week and got a free ticket to either Seaworld/Movie world and lots of other discount vouchers for Ripleys, Hard rock cafe etc all buy one get one free.

If you go to Brisbane watch the car parks we payed $15 for one hour :scared:
but moved the car to Southbank and it was $13 per day but free if you ate in one of the resturants or spent $30 in the shops at Southbank.The kids played all afternoon in the beach/pool area there so make sure you have swimsuits/towels (we didn't) as I didn't know there would be anything like that there.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

[QUOTE=spalen]Dreamworld is good fun - the food is not up to much and they dont allow picnics (!)QUOTE]

What - you cannot bring your own food? Is that correct?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:39 pm
ah-beng

[QUOTE=goldcoastrealestate]
Originally Posted by spalen
Dreamworld is good fun - the food is not up to much and they dont allow picnics (!)QUOTE]

What - you cannot bring your own food? Is that correct?
Yes it is correct, there are signs up at the entrance saying no food or drink allowed, reserve the right to search bags, if food is found it will be confiscated! I wouldn't mind but the food is rubbish within the park.

Mrs S
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

Pathetic!

As a large family, we have always packed our own lunch and drinks. If we did not do this, we would have never survived financially.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:54 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by goldcoastrealestate
Pathetic!

As a large family, we have always packed our own lunch and drinks. If we did not do this, we would have never survived financially.
It is a bit naff but the park itself is good value - the annual tickts are good value too.

The food in the park is rubbish - you can picnic outside in car park etc.

Dont let it put you off the park - the park itself is v good. Australia Zoo on the other hand has good food and lets you take picnics - but the food is cheapish there.