Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just a few questions

Just a few questions

Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

LOTTIE26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just a few questions

Hi, i'm new on here my husband and I and our three children are wanting to move to Australia probley in 2008 though I would like it sooner.

The reason 2008 is because we can save up a good amount of money so we don't have that to worry about but, how much money would we need to save to set up out there we would need to rent a house,etc?
If we don't need a huge amount then we could move next year instead.

How much would it cost to move our furniture or would it be cheaper to sell it and buy again when we were out there.

What are the schools like out there?
I have heard that they are good, but would love a bit more information our children are 7,5 and nearly 2.
I want to give them a great life and childhood and know they would thrive living in Australia.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Just a few questions

Anyone?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LOTTIE26
Hi, i'm new on here my husband and I and our three children are wanting to move to Australia probley in 2008 though I would like it sooner.

The reason 2008 is because we can save up a good amount of money so we don't have that to worry about but, how much money would we need to save to set up out there we would need to rent a house,etc?

How much would it cost to move our furniture or would it be cheaper to sell it and buy again when we were out there.

I have heard that they are good, but would love a bit more information our children are 7,5 and nearly 2.
I want to give them a great life and childhood and know they would thrive living in Australia.
It depends on alot of things really, like where abouts you want to be. What type of lifestyle you want etc.

Some people are going with as little as £2000 - £3000, whilst others have considerably more than that.

Shipping stuff out costs in the region of £5000 or so I believe, although not everyone ships their things out and buy all new when they get there. It's really an open ended question.

The only advice I can give is that while you are saving, search both this site and google and investigate as much as you can. That's what I did and can honestly say it has made me more determined than ever to go, however not everyone is the same.

Also you need to be aware that applying for a Visa can take anything up to 18 months / 2 years to do.

Start here www.immi.gov.au and see what your options are with regards to which visa you can apply for etc.

Good Luck
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:05 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?
Be patient Lottie. It's well after midnight in a lot of Oz already

Welcome to the forum BTW. The question of 'how much' is really subjective so you will get different answers and maybe none will be relevant to your situation. We - wife and me - came out here last year with $11k and no jobs lined up. We did OK and continue to do OK We're currently paying $260 p/w for a 3 bed / 2 bath house.

We paid just over GBP 2000 to ship our stuff over (a fair amount but not a full house). Whether you should bring furniture depends on the age and quality I guess. Furniture isn't especially cheap here so if yours is good quality, bring it.

Can't comment on schools.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replys sorry forgot about the times how dozy am I
I have a few items of furniture that is good quality so I think I will bring that is its not too expensive to ship.
We were going to come on a holiday next august and then apply for a visa after that but if it takes that long then maybe it would be better to start sooner if we want to move in 2008.
My hubby has been to aus before as his uncle lives in Sydney, I haven't been but it is somewhere that I have always wanted to live I just think you only have one live and I certainly don't want to live in dreary England for the rest of my life.
We are open minded about where to live but will probley go somewhere NSW.
We did start the visa prosess before but just didn't have enough money at the time.
Hubby can get a skilled visa as he is a mechanic
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of

I read a really good post when I first came on this site but I'm not sure who posted it (sorry) - if you search under 'breakdown of costs' or something similar that may help. It basically detailed everything they'd bought and how much it was (in Aus) so you can compare prices with what you have. If anybody else remembers it maybe they could point you in the right direction.