Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

Old Sep 1st 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Yes all the ones that I have seen online are writtem in 2001. Is this the revised version? Seems a bit long ago to be revised, but never mind!

Let us know the ISBN then I can order it, I need another book to read!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

the isbn number is 1 901130 51 7
Old Sep 1st 2003, 6:55 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Carrianne
the isbn number is 1 901130 51 7
hi carrianne, that's brilliant. it's the same book.

thanks for the help, i'm going to go and order a copy now.

Tina, whsmiths do free delivery to your local whsmiths store as well, i just ordered it with free delivery for £9.06. It was going to cost over £13 with amazon including the postage. I just thought you'd like to know.

cheers again

Leigh

Last edited by scutterUK; Sep 1st 2003 at 7:11 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:21 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

Originally posted by Carrianne
What I have perused so far is much better than the previous edition and there seems to be nothing left out

here is a list of the chapters

Finding a job

Working conditions

Permits and Visa's

arrival

Accommodation

Post office services

Telephone

Television and Radio

Education

Public transport

Motoring

Health

Insurance

Finance

Leisure

Sports

Shopping

Odds and Ends Which includes Agorigines, Citizenship, Climate, Crime, Geography, Government, Legal and General advice, Military service, Pets, Police, Populations, Religion, Social customs, Time difference, tipping, toilets

The australians

Moving house or Leaving Australia.

Well there is loads, I know on here ages ago this first edition was panned, but beleive me this is a very good book, even gives you general road rules etc.

Worth spending 12.92 on

C x
Sounds crap....nothing on buying 4wd's, stubbies & tinnies, barbies and slobbing on the beach. You know all the things we're really going there for.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:27 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by chippy
Sounds crap....nothing on buying 4wd's, stubbies & tinnies, barbies and slobbing on the beach. You know all the things we're really going there for.

Well i don't know about you but i think i know as much as i need to on those subjects........ well apart from the barbies. I was more of an action man kid myself.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:53 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by scutterUK
Well i don't know about you but i think i know as much as i need to on those subjects........ well apart from the barbies. I was more of an action man kid myself.
Does this mean you have eagle eyes, gripping hands? Also I have noticed that most of what you say could be put put on one of those string things you pull out of action mans chest.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:07 pm
life begins again...

that's me. you should see my blue underpants though! They're great, they never come off and only need to be cleaned with a quick wipe with a wet cloth! That string does get a bit in the way though,.... and here i was wondering why everyone thought i was repetitive. thanks for pointing it out to me.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

hi carrianne, that's brilliant. it's the same book.

thanks for the help, i'm going to go and order a copy now.

Tina, whsmiths do free delivery to your local whsmiths store as well, i just ordered it with free delivery for £9.06. It was going to cost over £13 with amazon including the postage. I just thought you'd like to know.

cheers again

Leigh

Thanks Carrianne and Leigh,

I have just ordered it from WHsmiths I did a search and it was a lot cheaper there than Amazon and Waterstones (Leigh I must have read your mind!)
3 days to deliver it to my store down the road.

Happy reading!!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:22 pm
I'm lovin' it

that's me. you should see my blue underpants though! They're great, they never come off and only need to be cleaned with a quick wipe with a wet cloth! That string does get a bit in the way though,.... and here i was wondering why everyone thought i was repetitive. thanks for pointing it out to me.
Glad to be of service....

PULL

PULL

Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:38 pm
life begins again...

do you know thinking about it that could be so useful at work...

PULL

Yes boss, all your work is done now boss...

PULL

Try turning on your monitor boss, the computer will work then...

PULL

No it's not a virus boss. they all crash now and then, it's just the way computers work...

(i'm one of them multi voice random modern thingies, with a chip up me arse, or was it a broom? )

tina, i think we dropped in luck with the prices on that one. Looking at other books i've bought recently they've been more expensive. ah well, can't have everything.

cyaz.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm sorry to be the party pooper but I bought the said book before moving to Australia and found it to be a complete waste of money. It got put on the bookshelf where it has stayed ever since.

I just found it full of the bleedin obvious. Only about a quarter of the book is specific to Australia. The rest is just general stuff like how to apply for a job and get a mortgage etc. I guess if you looked at the other country guides in the same series you'd find a lot of identical stuff. I suppose it may be of use for someone without internet access but that's none of you lot for a start. Anything in the book can be found online with a quick search as well as much more useful and up-to-date stuff.

Just my humble opinion.

Now 'Australia : Biography of a Nation' I did find a good read. I don't agree with all of Knightley's interpretations of history but it's still a bit of an eye opener for a Pom heading south and a good insight into the psyche of being an Australian.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:04 pm
DCV
Just Joined

DCV is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I bought the book too (BTW, bought it in Amazon, and it's the revised edition) and found it extremely useful. Most of the stuff may seem obvious to you, since it's geared towards british people heading to Australia, and many things are really similar between both countries, but if you come from a different origin (say Latin America, which happens to be where I come from :-), those ordinary things (getting a mortgage, applying for a job, etc) are done in an amazingly different way, and yes, it helps to have it all explained for "dummies".

As an example, somewhere in the book, spitting on the street is mentioned as bad social behaviour. This may seem really obvious (to me too, by the way), but in some countries that would be most natural.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by etlniwd
Well, I'm sorry to be the party pooper but I bought the said book before moving to Australia and found it to be a complete waste of money. It got put on the bookshelf where it has stayed ever since.

I just found it full of the bleedin obvious. Only about a quarter of the book is specific to Australia. The rest is just general stuff like how to apply for a job and get a mortgage etc.