Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

Old Aug 30th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Talking just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

What I have perused so far is much better than the previous edition and there seems to be nothing left out

here is a list of the chapters

Finding a job

Working conditions

Permits and Visa's

arrival

Accommodation

Post office services

Telephone

Television and Radio

Education

Public transport

Motoring

Health

Insurance

Finance

Leisure

Sports

Shopping

Odds and Ends Which includes Agorigines, Citizenship, Climate, Crime, Geography, Government, Legal and General advice, Military service, Pets, Police, Populations, Religion, Social customs, Time difference, tipping, toilets

The australians

Moving house or Leaving Australia.

Well there is loads, I know on here ages ago this first edition was panned, but beleive me this is a very good book, even gives you general road rules etc.

Worth spending 12.92 on

C x
Old Aug 30th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just bought living and working in OZ book the revised edition

Is this the one by David Hampshire?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

sure is luv !
Old Aug 30th 2003, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if Amazon stock revised version but to find out or look for other stuff by City or for maps go to Moving Down Under - Books
Old Aug 30th 2003, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

i had the old one and found it quite good,if not a bit out of date.When was it revised?
ps hows the house viewings going this weekend ?
donna
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh it must be a big book to cram so much info in to it!!

Just had a thought for anyone with contacts in the publishing world - why not gather all the info from this site and put a book together!!!!!!!!! You could honestly market it as info straight from the horses mouth!! probably make a fortune............or at least a bit of publicity for this site....

$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£ $£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£ $£$£$£$£$££$

sue

ps an after thought - perhaps would bring fame (or is that infamity) to Wilf, PB et al......
Old Aug 31st 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

First one was 1998 this is 2002
Old Sep 1st 2003, 12:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carrianne

This is a very good book, I still refer to it now. There was a tax issue which I spent ages trying to understand off govt. websites etc. when I turned back to look at this book it was explained simply in one paragraph - bring it with you.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Gosh it must be a big book to cram so much info in to it!!

Just had a thought for anyone with contacts in the publishing world - why not gather all the info from this site and put a book together!!!!!!!!! You could honestly market it as info straight from the horses mouth!! probably make a fortune............or at least a bit of publicity for this site....

$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£ $£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£ $£$£$£$£$££$

sue

ps an after thought - perhaps would bring fame (or is that infamity) to Wilf, PB et al......

There would be a copyright clash here. Please see my new thread.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:08 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Carrianne
I've recommended that one for a while as the best book on the subject:

http://www.hartill.net/Aus/links.html#books

It's the only one I brought over to Aus with me.

I'd also highly recommend the "biography of a nation" book at the top of the list if you follow that link. It's nothing to do with the emigration process, but will serve you well in understanding the country and people of the land you've chosen to call home.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree Carrianne i have this book and it is a mine of information. It is handy to refer to and always draws attention from people who visit who say and i quote " Oh! You still want to go to Oz then"

Well worth paying out for, if not try the library i know our local one has two copies.

Have a nice day

footie chick
Old Sep 1st 2003, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Where did you get the book from? I have tried Amazon and Waterstones but they don't have the revised version. Any ideas?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 1:42 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by tinaj
Where did you get the book from? I have tried Amazon and Waterstones but they don't have the revised version. Any ideas?
Hi

I bought this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...75279-1029238. It's an excellent source of information and available from Amazon. I would sell you my copy but I suspect it will be worth having whilst we settle into life in Oz.

Mel
Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:01 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi Carrianne,

can you supply us with the ISBN number of the revised edition?

BTW, on the WHSMITHS website (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/WHS/go.asp?...1130517&DB=220) they have it for £9.06, but they don't state if it's the revised or old edition.

thanks in advance.

leigh
Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:03 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

d'ur.

actually i just noticed, '4 October 2001 ' so i presume it's the latest edition, but if you can confirm the ISBN number that would be supah.

cheers

Leigh

PS (just noticed, i got a star!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.