Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Journalism jobs in Australia

Journalism jobs in Australia

Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

carney12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Journalism jobs in Australia

I have sen that Journalist is on the SOL list, but was joust wondering if there is actually a demand for journalists, print journalists in particular in Australia.

Cheers
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Journalism jobs in Australia

Hi there

You'll probably tend to find that most magazines are published in Sydney. I used to work on a mag in the UK (not a journo though) and have found very little in Melbourne. Newspapers are all over as they like the local papers here.

Best thing to do is to look on Seek as you can narrow it down to journalist jobs. Otherwise you can always freelance and work from anywhere or even be a Aussie based journo for UK publications. I know a few who do that out here.

Good luck!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

foxy_rich will become famous soon enough

Hey,

I'm a journo and found that there are a lot of jobs out here, as long as you don't limit yourself down on location. I was pretty lucky, got a job with The Land within 6 weeks of arriving in the country, but I managed to have 4 interviews in that time, so there are jobs out there.

Seek, MyCareer, CareerOne, Byron Employment are the best ones, I found.

Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there much scope for freelancers? As in submitting the odd article for various publications?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

dpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by carney12
I have sen that Journalist is on the SOL list, but was joust wondering if there is actually a demand for journalists, print journalists in particular in Australia.

Cheers
Am I the only one thinking this post is a joke?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:43 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP will need a good sub-editor

Originally Posted by dpwilliams
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr
I think the OP will need a good sub-editor
Yes. A sub-ed would have picked up the fact that the word 'good' was missing.

They are after 'good' journalists.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably they work for the Grauniad in the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The first post is a joke, it is more than likely a regular poster with no balls to post under his real name in a poor effort to piss take those of us that do not bother to spell check, and I make no apologies for not using the spell check myself as I dont really care to and if it winds people up, I don't really give a toss.

I do however laugh at how much people get so wound up about spelling on here, it really does make me giggle but there is no need for some of the indirect digs that get posted.

However, it was the subsequent posts on this thread that I was interested in.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jan 9th 2009 at 7:00 am.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
The first post is a joke, it is more than likely a regular poster with no balls to post under his real name in a poor effort to piss take those of us that do not bother to spell check, and I make no apologies for not using the spell check myself as I dont really care to and if it winds people up, I don't really give a toss.

I do however laugh at how much people get so wound up about spelling on here, it really does make me giggle but there is no need for some of the indirect digs that get posted.

However, it was the subsequent posts on this thread that I was interested in.
Fair enough, but you have to admit that as of late many posts have serious spelling and grammar errors - some of them blindingly obvious. My particular favourite is 'loose' as in "I will loose the visa" - Eh ?

It might not bother you but to me it's the reading equivalent of hearing someone drag their nails down a blackboard.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Fair enough, but you have to admit that as of late many posts have serious spelling and grammar errors - some of them blindingly obvious. My particular favourite is 'loose' as in "I will loose the visa" - Eh ?

It might not bother you but to me it's the reading equivalent of hearing someone drag their nails down a blackboard.
Oh I hate that one too but my particular pet peeve is when people write Of when they mean Have ! As in "I could of done with knowing that before"

It's have... It's have!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carney12

Cheers
I hope you can spell better than this journo.....
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...012980,00.html

It took me a while to work out who Jenson Nutton was in the headline.....
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I hope you can spell better than this journo.....
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...012980,00.html

It took me a while to work out who Jenson Nutton was in the headline.....
But to be fair, a journo will rarely write a headline, just the story, so the numpty who was typing the headline missed a letter by moving one to the right. Then not checking it...

That's why the Sun managed to come up with some corkers - they have people who have a role that includes creative headline making - and some of them do a fantastic job.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:24 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
But to be fair, a journo will rarely write a headline, just the story, so the numpty who was typing the headline missed a letter by moving one to the right. Then not checking it...

That's why the Sun managed to come up with some corkers - they have people who have a role that includes creative headline making - and some of them do a fantastic job.
To get a good idea of Australian journalistic standards, watch the ABC's Media Watch program. Some corker stuffups, plagerisms and mis-truths come out in that show.