Reload this Page >

Diabetes and getting a driver (or rider) licence

Diabetes and getting a driver (or rider) licence

Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:59 am
Just Joined

hedg is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Diabetes and getting a driver (or rider) licence

Hi All

I'm going to move to NSW pretty soon as a PR, and as such am planning to convert my existing motorcycle licence which I've held for over 10 years now, to a NSW licence. And I'll have to do this within 3 months after arrival if I want to continue riding after those 3 months (which I do!).

The problem might be that I'm a type I diabetic. So in order to get my licence, apparently I will need to be examined by a doctor first and declared either fit or unfit to ride. (Hopefully the former ). Now the big question is what are the options for having such an examination in Australia, provided that I have absolutely no Australian medical history yet, and the conditions they'll probably be looking for are not something that can be diagnosed instantly (such as "an absence of defined hypoglycaemic episodes"). I was thinking of getting a brief medical report from my doctor, explaining my overall condition diabeteswise, my historical HbA1c levels, how well my diabetes is managed, etc -- but I'm really not sure if it'll be enough for an Australian doctor to make their decision, especially given that I come from a so-called HR country.

If any of you had been through it, or just have any suggestions, I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks
Y

Last edited by hedg; Apr 13th 2009 at 9:11 am.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Diabetes and getting a driver (or rider) licence

hi my husband is type 1 diabetic and had no problems gtting his licence changed. We had to take a form from the transport office to a doctor-any seemed to do pay 70 dollars( but you can claim that back) we had a report from his uk doctor and 10 mins later after brief medical he was ready for his new license . hope this helps. this was in Qld