Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Joint account in Oz

Joint account in Oz

Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:09 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joint account in Oz

Does anybody know if it is possible either to open a joint account in Oz, or upgrade an existing accout to 'joint' status BEFORE getting a visa?

My partner has his aussie bank account with a load of my money in it (from Oz tax returns). We're going over to Oz at the end of the month for 3 weeks - any chance we can turn this account into a joint one/open a whole new account?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:27 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Joint account in Oz

Originally posted by bundy
Does anybody know if it is possible either to open a joint account in Oz, or upgrade an existing accout to 'joint' status BEFORE getting a visa?

My partner has his aussie bank account with a load of my money in it (from Oz tax returns). We're going over to Oz at the end of the month for 3 weeks - any chance we can turn this account into a joint one/open a whole new account?
Should'nt be a problem.....They are after you cash mate They don't care where you live!

I had an aussie a/c when i went over for 8 months on a holiday visa.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:30 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Should'nt be a problem.....They are after you cash mate They don't care where you live!

I had an aussie a/c when i went over for 8 months on a holiday visa.
Thanks for that...we'll attack the bank on arrival.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:14 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Bundy, we are goign over on temp visas and have them fighting to open joint acc for us! HSBC assure us it's all in safe hands and then this morning I got a letter from Oz from National Bank saying we have accounts now open in OZ - don't even remember contacting them...... !
Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:20 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't do that if I were you.......the police may catch you and then where will you be?!?! LOL
Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:54 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
I wouldn't do that if I were you.......the police may catch you and then where will you be?!?! LOL
They might get transported
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Now there's an idea - punishment by transportation to the UK? Be interesting to see what effect it would have on the crime rate. Disgruntled expats rushing out and shoplifting everything in sight in the hope of being sent back here maybe?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:55 am
She's a bird, you know

I expect I'll feel like attacking the bank by the time I've stood in the inevitable queue for 6 hours, produced endless reams of paperwork and endured 'bankspeak' for longer than I can bear...Had a bad experience last time I opened an account in Oz.

As for the transportation theory - wouldn't that be great?! I'd happily be a convict if it meant being sent out to Oz for the rest of my days....
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:26 am
A Male Member

I expect I'll feel like attacking the bank by the time I've stood in the inevitable queue for 6 hours, produced endless reams of paperwork and endured 'bankspeak' for longer than I can bear...Had a bad experience last time I opened an account in Oz.

As for the transportation theory - wouldn't that be great?! I'd happily be a convict if it meant being sent out to Oz for the rest of my days....
Bundy,

Which bank is it out of interest?

What about setting up an HSBC account over here before you leave? I've been looking into it, and i believe they have one of the more competetive rates down under, and fewer charges too.

Worth looking into?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:31 am
She's a bird, you know

PeteY,

My partner has a National bank account - good because he doesn't get charged for the privilege of having the account. That's the one we want to make a joint account. I heard something somewhere about National having links with banks over here (Scottish? Yorkshire?) but hazy on the details.

May investigate HSBC when it comes to moving all our money over there when we leave...
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:41 am
tennisoz

PeteY,

My partner has a National bank account - good because he doesn't get charged for the privilege of having the account. That's the one we want to make a joint account. I heard something somewhere about National having links with banks over here (Scottish? Yorkshire?) but hazy on the details.

May investigate HSBC when it comes to moving all our money over there when we leave...
Yes, I think National owns the Clydesdale (bought it from the Midland now HSBC), Yorkshire and an Irish bank. We have joint accounts in Oz with the Commonwealth and deal through their London office. Had no problems with them and would imagine you will not have any with opening a joint account with the National. Interesting as an aside to see in the news that Britain is belatedly doing what other countries have had for yonks - chip and pin they call it here - to cut down on credit card fraud.

TennisOz

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:48 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by tennisoz
Interesting as an aside to see in the news that Britain is belatedly doing what other countries have had for yonks - chip and pin they call it here - to cut down on credit card fraud.

TennisOz
About time, isn't it?! Thanks for the info on the National, by the way