John Peel

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default John Peel

Nothin to do with OZ, but so saddened to hear about John Peel's passing away, i spent many a night through my teens and twenties listenin to his music through to Home Truths on a Sunday morning.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:25 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Peel

Jamsey

I know what you mean. I remember listening to JP on a weekday night at 10pm. Playing some great music simply not vailable on other stations.

The man was a true legend, managed to provide support to so many bands who otherwise would not have had airplay.

He will be missed .

Originally Posted by Jamesy
Nothin to do with OZ, but so saddened to hear about John Peel's passing away, i spent many a night through my teens and twenties listenin to his music through to Home Truths on a Sunday morning.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I was musically illiterate until I heard the mighty Peel. He made me see the light; rather like a conversion on the road to Damascus you could say!

God, I can't believe he's dead. He was supposed to still be there when they finally switched all the lights out at Radio 1! Now he's been outlived by a load of smashies and niceys, noooooo!

Well......have one on me John, wherever you are....
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:56 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: John Peel

Extremely sad day. RIP
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: John Peel

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I was musically illiterate until I heard the mighty Peel. He made me see the light; rather like a conversion on the road to Damascus you could say!

God, I can't believe he's dead. He was supposed to still be there when they finally switched all the lights out at Radio 1! Now he's been outlived by a load of smashies and niceys, noooooo!

Well......have one on me John, wherever you are....
Couldn't agree with you more, he introduced me to all of the indie music, heard the tribute to him tonite on Radios 4 and 1, they played The Fall, fantastic!

He had the most amazing skill to make you feel he was talking to you personally over the airwaves
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:01 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Couldn't agree with you more, he introduced me to all of the indie music, heard the tribute to him tonite on Radios 4 and 1, they played The Fall, fantastic!

He had the most amazing skill to make you feel he was talking to you personally over the airwaves
I loved him on Grumpy Old Men, shown on BBC2.

Seamed down to earth and "normal" if you know what I'm talking about.

Bye all
Mark
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

hippychic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to post a note on John Peel, So sad to hear. I grew up listening to John Peel when I was a teenager in Art School, he brings back so many forgotten memories.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Oh NOOOOOOO...... Is he dead....????
Yep, I'll miss him too..........
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Oh NOOOOOOO...... Is he dead....????
Yep, I'll miss him too..........
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3955289.stm

Sad day indeed.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Very sad day. One of the nicest, kindest, most down to earth guys ever who just loved music.

Only thing I can think is that however bloody awful it was for those around him, at least he didn't "suffer" and survive unable to do what he loved to do.

RIP.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One of those people you thought would always be there. Remember listening to his shows very well; how many bands owe their fame to him?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One of those people you thought would always be there. Remember listening to his shows very well; how many bands owe their fame to him?
Indeed. He got a mention on JJJ news here which shows how regarded the sessions were.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

I often used to tune in and listen - from teens onward - he opened my eyes to a wider world of music.

A sad loss.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom
Indeed. He got a mention on JJJ news here which shows how regarded the sessions were.
Truly sad. John Peel was a man passionate for music, broad minded in his love of it. A show where you could listen to hardcore techno, smoove reggae, drum and bass, thrash punk and jangly indie bands all within an hour on national radio! He always came across as an "earthy" bloke with a dry sense of humour and seems to have infinite kindness and warmth.

As for the JJJ comment, one of my Aussie friends spent her teenage years listening to Peels shows on one of the Oz radio stations. This guy is held in international acclaim. He will truly be missed, an end of an era for music broadcasting. No one can fill this guys shoes. I say we deserve a new public holiday for this guys birthday, screw the queen!

RIP John Peel
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:07 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, amazing man. It was Newsnights 2nd news piece tonight and they must have spent a good 15 minutes on him.

Can't imagine Simon Bates getting that kind of send off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.