Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

john masons movers

john masons movers

Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute
Default john masons movers

hi
just a quick one (say thet to the wife quite often!). we used john masons to move furniture. we have found them to be of good service. only negatives were a A$300 sur-charge by the sub-contractors in perth, and that they took nearly 2 weeks to deliver to us from when customs had cleared!
only two minor items damaged, overall, pleased. do barter over price.
dom
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: john masons movers

Originally Posted by don544
hi
just a quick one (say thet to the wife quite often!). we used john masons to move furniture. we have found them to be of good service. only negatives were a A$300 sur-charge by the sub-contractors in perth, and that they took nearly 2 weeks to deliver to us from when customs had cleared!
dom
we're using john masons and i haven't been told anything about a surcharge - what was that for ?
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Great post to warn others.

Same thing happened to us re: surcharge they charged us $400 extra and didn't tell us until the night before delivering stuff.

We originally said we would ship to Brisbane and would let them know asap whereabouts we would be settling in the Gold Coast (this was ALWAYS where we would settle). This was done verbally. Once here and we realised this was going to be an issue we checked the form we signed and we saw the clause (delivery within 30km of Brisbane). D'oh!

We told them where we were in the Gold Coast 4 weeks before delivery.

The surcharge was the extra distance 30km of Brisbane and the admin office in Brisbane said if we didn't pay they wouldn't deliver our furniture.

We contacted JM who professed innocence (despite emails and faxes letting them know and relaying the conversations with original man who quoted).

We think the confusion came from the orginal order/quote because JM didn't have a forwarding address. They just put within 30km of Brisbane. We should have checked and checked again!

Having said that the packers in the UK were brilliant, very professional and the team this end were a really helpful and happy lot.

JM admin staff were less than helpful! Part our fault part theirs I feel.

As you say haggle (and check what you sign).

hi
dom
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:29 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by remmie1
Great post to warn others.

Same thing happened to us re: surcharge they charged us $400 extra and didn't tell us until the night before delivering stuff.

We originally said we would ship to Brisbane and would let them know asap whereabouts we would be settling in the Gold Coast (this was ALWAYS where we would settle). This was done verbally. Once here and we realised this was going to be an issue we checked the form we signed and we saw the clause (delivery within 30km of Brisbane). D'oh!

We told them where we were in the Gold Coast 4 weeks before delivery.

The surcharge was the extra distance 30km of Brisbane and the admin office in Brisbane said if we didn't pay they wouldn't deliver our furniture.

We contacted JM who professed innocence (despite emails and faxes letting them know and relaying the conversations with original man who quoted).

We think the confusion came from the orginal order/quote because JM didn't have a forwarding address. They just put within 30km of Brisbane. We should have checked and checked again!

Having said that the packers in the UK were brilliant, very professional and the team this end were a really helpful and happy lot.

JM admin staff were less than helpful! Part our fault part theirs I feel.

As you say haggle (and check what you sign).
I had to pick JM up on the distance thing too. I had told the guy who came to quote that we were going about 80-90k south of Sydney, and the quote came back with only 30ks. They changed it and didnt charge me any extra.

Their packers were great. When the guy came to quote he told me not to fill drawers, but the packers stuffed drawers full of CDs, Books, DVDs, Clothes etc... Saved me space and quite a bit of money.

The only annoyance I have with JM is that they only had one ship a month heading to Sydney, so our stuff was still sat in the UK until last week, and we have been here a month now.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Good on ya spotting that! Wonder if a lot of people get caught out with this?

How frustrating for you! Hope it gets shifted v. soon.

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
I had to pick JM up on the distance thing too. I had told the guy who came to quote that we were going about 80-90k south of Sydney, and the quote came back with only 30ks. They changed it and didnt charge me any extra.

Their packers were great. When the guy came to quote he told me not to fill drawers, but the packers stuffed drawers full of CDs, Books, DVDs, Clothes etc... Saved me space and quite a bit of money.

The only annoyance I have with JM is that they only had one ship a month heading to Sydney, so our stuff was still sat in the UK until last week, and we have been here a month now.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:48 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by remmie1
Good on ya spotting that! Wonder if a lot of people get caught out with this?

How frustrating for you! Hope it gets shifted v. soon.

We noticed that 30 miles aswell, but it does say it on the information pack that they send you in the post. Pete
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pete jackson
We noticed that 30 miles aswell, but it does say it on the information pack that they send you in the post. Pete
Does it?! It's us being up the wall and not noticing it then! That'll teach us to pay attention.

Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:50 am
Just Joined

POMPEYUK is an unknown quantity at this point

We used John Mason, came to Brisbane in April. The move went really well, the guys in UK were nice to our kids and packed all our goods really well. The packers this end in Brisbane commented how good the packing was.
We did get stung an extra $300 on the fee for customs checking and we had some of our Christmas decorations stopped but John Masons themselve were good and would recommend them. If we ever move from the UK again, John Masons will be my choice.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:33 am
Lucyb reincarnated

Lucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to behold

We used John Mason's too and were very pleased not to have any breakages. We paid $3250 for sole use of a 20 foot container. We also got stung with a fee on arrival by Kent Removals...about $350 which we were not informed about. That said, our container arrived on a Friday and was delivered the following Thursday last month so we were well pleased!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:14 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: john masons movers

Originally Posted by Lucy
We used John Mason's too and were very pleased not to have any breakages. We paid $3250 for sole use of a 20 foot container. We also got stung with a fee on arrival by Kent Removals...about $350 which we were not informed about. That said, our container arrived on a Friday and was delivered the following Thursday last month so we were well pleased!
We are in the process of getting quotes and are going to call John Masons and see what they come with up and also need a 20ft container. You say yours was $3250.00 but this equates to £1333.00 or did you mean it in pounds?

R.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

hi
dom
Gerards = 800
Pickfords = 1100
Brittanic = 1300. (All shared container)

Pickfords told us door to door and we need a forwarding address. Other 2 didnt tell us and that they werent door to door. I think Pickfords wins. Insurance in quote also.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:54 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
Gerards = 800
Pickfords = 1100
Brittanic = 1300. (All shared container)

Pickfords told us door to door and we need a forwarding address. Other 2 didnt tell us and that they werent door to door. I think Pickfords wins. Insurance in quote also.
Is that £ or $.
How many m3 is that for?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by POMPEYUK
We used John Mason, came to Brisbane in April. The move went really well, the guys in UK were nice to our kids and packed all our goods really well. The packers this end in Brisbane commented how good the packing was.
We did get stung an extra $300 on the fee for customs checking and we had some of our Christmas decorations stopped but John Masons themselve were good and would recommend them. If we ever move from the UK again, John Masons will be my choice.

Come off it - Christmas decorations stopped ???? !!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth did you have - baubles filled with Marijuana and Speed?