Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs Queensland and WA

Jobs Queensland and WA

Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jobs Queensland and WA

Dole spike hits boom states of Queensland and Western Australia first | Money | News.com.au

Many people ask what is happening at the moment well it seems that Queensland and Western Australia are the States who are the hardest hit with the downturn and unemployment is on the rise. This is due to the mining and tourism industries being hard hit and spins off into all other areas.

I have seen posts recently where Brits are finding it difficult to find work in these States and forewarned is forearmed. I

No country is going to avoid this mess in my opinion and how much its going to affect us all is anyone's guess.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:49 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs Queensland and WA

Originally Posted by Petals
Dole spike hits boom states of Queensland and Western Australia first | Money | News.com.au

Many people ask what is happening at the moment well it seems that Queensland and Western Australia are the States who are the hardest hit with the downturn and unemployment is on the rise. This is due to the mining and tourism industries being hard hit and spins off into all other areas.

I have seen posts recently where Brits are finding it difficult to find work in these States and forewarned is forearmed. I

No country is going to avoid this mess in my opinion and how much its going to affect us all is anyone's guess.
???
you`ve lost me
are you just informing us or do you want our personal experiances ?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Information is the name of the game. People can then assess things and find out more about their individual occupations and prospects.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Information is the name of the game.

Its not really enough info though is it OP was a bit of blanket statement.

I mean are there now more jobs in Adelaide and Tasmania than WA or Qld.

Does it mean in Victoria and NSW nobody is finding it hard to get work. Hardly. The construction, manufacturing and IT industry, have all been hit very hard I get that from aussies with decades of experience in those states too.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course its a blanket statement as it would be too hard and too long to go in depth about each State and each industry in the State. What the information does do is inform people that they should be checking whether the industry they are hoping to work in is suffering and to what extent.

Its always better to have a job to come to as well.

Tourism will be hit in Queensland as retirees are a huge market and they no longer have the disposable income to have as many holidays. Interest rates are down and the share market is down so not much earning power on investments. Overseas tourists are also not coming in the numbers they were before. I know this first hand as we live on investments.

Also the mining industry feels the pinch because China is retracting and will not require as much ore as during the boom times. Plus the contracts are up for renegotiation soon and I would imagine China will not be wanting to pay the same money as before. Supply and demand.

What it means in all States in my opinion, is there will be more people going after jobs that are available and therefore it will be tight.

Some people immigrate with funds to last them a year or so but a
others do not and may feel the pressure as it may just take Aussies and Migrants longer to get a job now.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...-14327,00.html

While there is always a jump in the number of unemployment benefit claimants at the beginning of a year, new figures from the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations show the number of jobless in Queensland is 45.4 per cent higher than it was at the same time last year.

The number of jobless has soared by 40.5 per cent in WA, which is suffering from the collapse of the mining boom. There have been smaller increases in the southeastern states, with rises of 25.7 per cent in NSW, 25 per cent in Victoria, 15.7per cent in South Australia and 22.4 per cent in Tasmania.

What the article doesn't really say is that unemployment is still lower in WA and Qld than Vic, NSW etc. However the numbers do indicate the very rapid worsening of the economic situation in WA and Qld compared to other states.

But Petals....Brits are also finding hard to find work in Vic, NSW...everywhere else!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

All migrants and a lot of Australians are now finding it very hard to get work in any State here. Victoria is used to doing it hard its been doing it hard since all the manufacturing went off shore.

As I said in my posts it depends what your occupation is. If you are a nurse a midwife, doctor, dentist etc there are always jobs available in the medical services field.

It makes it a whole lot harder too that we have the State system where someone with a licence in New South Wales cannot work in Victoria etc and ths applies to all the States. It certainly does not mean you can just upsticks and go to another State without first finding out if you need to update licences etc.

I personally think State gov is one level of gov too much and I think it hinders us as we are such a small population with heaps and heaps of gov people
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:01 am
ABCDiamond

I personally think State gov is one level of gov too much and I think it hinders us as we are such a small population with heaps and heaps of gov people
I agree with that, the State level of government should go

Unemployment wise, the State rates are (de ja vue, I am sure I just did this)
  1. 2.6% ACT
  2. 3.2% Western Australia.
  3. 4.2% Northern Territory.
  4. 4.4% Queensland.
  5. 4.5% Tasmania.
  6. 4.8% Victoria.
  7. 5.4% New South Wales.
  8. 5.6% South Australia.